Quantcast

How to close a financial year

Anita Graves-2
Dear Friends,  How does one close the file for one financial year and open a new one with the same account tree for the next financial year.

I am not sure where in the manual these things will be covered.  I managed to export my account tree but don’t know how to turn around and import it in a new file. I can’t get a blank database.

Also, when once you have closed the file for a certain financial year, can you still create/generate reports from that year’s file?

Thanks so much for the pointers and help!

Anita

Re: How to close a financial year

GnuCash - User mailing list
Anita,
This is discussed pretty much every year on the list. Try googling "close books gnucash site:lists.gnucash.org". You should find plenty of reading.
David

  On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 14:41, Anita Graves<[hidden email]> wrote:   Dear Friends,  How does one close the file for one financial year and open a new one with the same account tree for the next financial year.

I am not sure where in the manual these things will be covered.  I managed to export my account tree but don’t know how to turn around and import it in a new file. I can’t get a blank database.

Also, when once you have closed the file for a certain financial year, can you still create/generate reports from that year’s file?

Thanks so much for the pointers and help!

Anita

Re: How to close a financial year

Colin Law
On 16 May 2017 at 10:53, David T. via gnucash-user
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anita,
> This is discussed pretty much every year on the list. Try googling "close books gnucash site:lists.gnucash.org". You should find plenty of reading.

Also note that there may be no need for you to close the books at all.
The reports allow data over a selected time span to be viewed so you
can see what has happened in the year without closing them.

Colin

Re: How to close a financial year

DaveC49
Anita

The Wiki has a secion discussing it at

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books

and the documentation tells you how to use the built in routine for it at

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/tool-close-book.html