How to Recover Lost Account

lakelover
I searched but didn't find an answer but this can't be a new problem. Anyway, I was posting to my checkbook, when all of a sudden an account tree appeared. I exited then logged back on and now my checkbook account has disappeared. I don't know what I did or what happened but I sure hope I can get my checkbook back intact. How do I do it?

Re: How to Recover Lost Account

Chris Shoemaker
On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 06:47:33PM -0700, lakelover wrote:

> I searched but didn't find an answer but this can't be a new problem.

Oh, I don't know, it's new to me - never heard of such a thing.

> Anyway,
> I was posting to my checkbook, when all of a sudden an account tree
> appeared.

Appeared where?  What version are you using?  Perhaps you accidentally
created a new account?

> I exited then logged back on and now my checkbook account has
> disappeared. I don't know what I did or what happened but I sure hope I can
> get my checkbook back intact. How do I do it?

Oh! Maybe I know what happened.  If you detached your main Account
Tree tab from the rest of the window, say perhaps by clicking Windows
-> New Window with Page, then closed it, and restarted, it wouldn't
re-open.  That's probably a bug that it's even possible to do that.

If this is what has happened to you, you can re-open your Account Tree
tab by clicking File -> New -> New Accounts Page.

-chris

p.s. You might consider it another bug that "New Accounts Page" is not
obviously different than "New Accounts Hierarchy",

Re: How to Recover Lost Account

lakelover
I tried clicking File -> New -> New Accounts Page but the action didn't pull up the Checkbook account.
There's a gnucash-2.0.4 folder on my desktop that contains a checkbook account file that was accessed, today, at the time I was posting. So, that tells me that the account is still in the system. There must be a recovery method of some kind. I suppose I could create a new checkbook account and re-post my checkbook entries but that's a job. Somehow, I can't believe I could delete such a file (if I did) so easily. I'm certain I did not hit a delete key as I was posting. It happened so fast I don't know exactly what I was doing though I think I was editing an expense account name at the time. If it's a bug what's my action, if any?
Jerry

Chris Shoemaker wrote
On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 06:47:33PM -0700, lakelover wrote:

Oh! Maybe I know what happened.  If you detached your main Account
Tree tab from the rest of the window, say perhaps by clicking Windows
-> New Window with Page, then closed it, and restarted, it wouldn't
re-open.  That's probably a bug that it's even possible to do that.

If this is what has happened to you, you can re-open your Account Tree
tab by clicking File -> New -> New Accounts Page.

-chris

p.s. You might consider it another bug that "New Accounts Page" is not
obviously different than "New Accounts Hierarchy",

Re: How to Recover Lost Account

lakelover
I was just about to shut down my computer when I noticed some tabs with error messages:

"XML Parsing Error: prefix not bound to a namespace
Location: file:///home/jerry/Desktop/gnucash-2.0.4/accounts/C/acctchrt_checkbook.gnucash-xea
Line Number 3, Column 5:    <gnc-act:title>"

"XML Parsing Error: prefix not bound to a namespace
Location: file:///home/jerry/gnucash/accounts
Line Number 3, Column 1:<gnc:count-data cd:type="book">1</gnc:count-data>"

Does this help with an answer to my dilemma? Jerry

Re: How to Recover Lost Account

lakelover
Another followup. . .

I started over on the checking account because I couldn't find any other way. Interestingly when I opened the new account, I was presented with a message that somebody else might be using the account. Sure don't know where my original account went.

Jerry

Re: How to Recover Lost Account

Josh Sled
lakelover <[hidden email]> writes:
> I started over on the checking account because I couldn't find any other
> way. Interestingly when I opened the new account, I was presented with a
> message that somebody else might be using the account. Sure don't know where
> my original account went.

You seem to be using the word "account" for different things, which is
confusing.  I think here you might mean "datafile", which is the only thing
for which you would get the "another process is using [...]" message.  But in
the earlier email, it seemed like you might be referring to the account tree,
rather than a specific Account.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

Re: How to Recover Lost Account

Josh Sled
Please remember to CC: the mailing list on all replies; your mailer's "Reply
To All" function is useful.

Jerry <[hidden email]> writes:
> Yes, I'm sure I'm confusing the nomenclature. Background: My monitor went
> south on me a couple of months ago so I was without GnuCash access.  I've
> been trying to catch up and I'm not familiar with the workings of gnucash. I
> did refer to an account tree popping up at the point I lost my check
> register. I see a folder on my desktop for GnuCash files. It seems to hold
> the check register file with a last access date the day/time I was posting to
> the register when I lost it on my screen. As I mentioned, I started over on

It's unclear from your earlier messages what you're doing specifically, what
you expect to see, and what you're actually seeing, and thus what's
"missing".  Maybe it'd help to start a new thread if you're still having a
problem, along those lines... what action you took, what you expected to see,
and what you actually saw.

From what I've surmised: the datafile is there and looks fine.  For a while,
you didn't have an Account Tree tab, but using File > New > New Account Tree
fixed that.  But you're still missing the "checking account".  Right?

So, when you open the file, you get an Account Tree.  It (should) contain a
whole list of accounts.  Under the "Assets" sub-tree should maybe be a
Current Assets, then under that a Checking account.  When you double-click on
that account, do you get a Register page for your checking account?

> the check register. If I remember correctly, when I used GnuCash for a short
> time a couple of years ago, the program has a security/password on it. I
> don't see that on my current program (unless I skipped it on my initial set
> up).

I don't believe we've ever had a password/security feature built into the
application.  Most of us believe that we should not, and have for a long
time.

> Also, I'm using an older version (1.8.12). I've downloaded the latest stable
> version 2.04, but have not installed it. I've been hesitant wondering whether
> I will lose my current data in the process. Can install it with confidence
> that my data will be preserved?

(It's 2.0.4.)  Yes; the 1.8 -> 2.0 migration is (at this point, a year later)
well tested.  In fact, it will *fix* any mis-encoded data in your data file
after prompting you, if such data exists.