How do I use postgresql with gnucash?

marc-19
Hello,

I have compiled and installed gnucash with postgresql support. When
running the program, I have not found any UI mechanism to indicate that
data should be stored/retrieved via postgresql instead of the xml files
that are more commonly used. My searches through online help have turned
up no clues. Can anyone please provide a pointer? Ideally, I would like
to see a tutorial on how to convert from xml stored data to postgresql
stored data.

Thanks in advance - Marc

Re: How do I use postgresql with gnucash?

Josh Sled

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_the_Postgres_DB_.2F_SQL_backend_supported.3F

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

Re: How do I use postgresql with gnucash?

Phil Longstaff
Josh Sled wrote:

> Marc <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I have compiled and installed gnucash with postgresql support. When
>> running the program, I have not found any UI mechanism to indicate that
>> data should be stored/retrieved via postgresql instead of the xml files
>> that are more commonly used. My searches through online help have turned
>> up no clues. Can anyone please provide a pointer? Ideally, I would like
>> to see a tutorial on how to convert from xml stored data to postgresql
>> stored data.
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_the_Postgres_DB_.2F_SQL_backend_supported.3F

I am currently working on an SQL-based backend will can allow sqlite3,
postgresql and mysql databases.  My target, at least for sqlite3 as a
replacement for the current xml file, is gnucash 2.4 (release date
unknown).  I may have mysql and postgresql support in the same release,
or they may follow soon afterwards.

Phil

Quoting Marc <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I have compiled and installed gnucash with postgresql support. When
> running the program, I have not found any UI mechanism to indicate that
> data should be stored/retrieved via postgresql instead of the xml files
> that are more commonly used. My searches through online help have turned
> up no clues. Can anyone please provide a pointer? Ideally, I would like
> to see a tutorial on how to convert from xml stored data to postgresql
> stored data.

The postgres backend is not supported in 2.x versions of gnucash.
However it wasn't ripped out in order to allow existing users time
to upgrade while work happens on the new SQL backend.

I BELIEVE you can type in a postgres://  URL on the command line.