How do I upgrade to GnuCash 2.6.4?

.

How do I upgrade to GnuCash 2.6.4?

.
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and would like to upgrade GnuCash to 2.6.4.

Does anyone have a simple method for upgrading that is understandable to
someone that doesn't know much about the "./configure make make install"
stuff? That is- the method of upgrading doesn't require much technical
skill.

Thanks.

Alek

Re: How do I upgrade to GnuCash 2.6.4?

Michael DeBusk-2
One of the first things I do when installing a new LTS of Ubuntu (I
keep the LTS on my computers unless there's a compelling reason not
to) is install everything necessary to build Gnucash from source. I'm
not a C programmer, and I find it very easy to do. Follow the
instructions here:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_12.04_LTS_.28Precise_Pangolin.29

Note that I don't bother installing git. I just grab a tarball from
the Gnucash Web page, unpack it, and the listed commands from the
resulting directory.

For what it's worth, I like the latest LTS release, 14.04. I run
Ubuntu Gnome. The Gnucash instructions for that one are here:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_14.04_LTS_.28Trusty_Tahr.29

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Alek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and would like to upgrade GnuCash to 2.6.4.
>
> Does anyone have a simple method for upgrading that is understandable to
> someone that doesn't know much about the "./configure make make install"
> stuff? That is- the method of upgrading doesn't require much technical
> skill.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alek

()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments
Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

Re: How do I upgrade to GnuCash 2.6.4?

Michael DeBusk-2
(Remember to use "reply all" on messages to this list)

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM, C <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the ideas but that method just wanted to install around 1Gb
> of updates on my machine which is way too much for just simple Gnucash.

You could always uninstall them after you've built.

> Also, the git it mentions .....the guy is installing something like
> version 2.4.  I want 2.6 or newer.

It works with version 2.6 and newer.

On 12/13/2014 2:22 PM, Michael DeBusk wrote:

> One of the first things I do when installing a new LTS of Ubuntu (I
> keep the LTS on my computers unless there's a compelling reason not
> to) is install everything necessary to build Gnucash from source. I'm
> not a C programmer, and I find it very easy to do. Follow the
> instructions here:
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_12.04_LTS_.28Precise_Pangolin.29
>
> Note that I don't bother installing git. I just grab a tarball from
> the Gnucash Web page, unpack it, and the listed commands from the
> resulting directory.
>
> For what it's worth, I like the latest LTS release, 14.04. I run
> Ubuntu Gnome. The Gnucash instructions for that one are here:
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_14.04_LTS_.28Trusty_Tahr.29
>

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Alek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and would like to upgrade GnuCash to 2.6.4.
>>
>> Does anyone have a simple method for upgrading that is understandable to
>> someone that doesn't know much about the "./configure make make install"
>> stuff? That is- the method of upgrading doesn't require much technical
>> skill.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Alek

Is it possible to use a software package installer to get the whole
thing (release 2.6.4) with a few mouse clicks instead of all that sudo
stuff?

David C

Re: How do I upgrade to GnuCash 2.6.4?

Michael DeBusk-2
On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM, David Carlson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to use a software package installer to get the whole
> thing (release 2.6.4) with a few mouse clicks instead of all that sudo
> stuff?

GetDeb has it, but it appears you need to be running at least Ubuntu 12.10.

It's not in the current Ubuntu repos, but you might try downloading
from the repos for Vervet:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/vivid/gnucash

I can't say you'll succeed with the dependencies, though.

Honestly, though, "all that sudo stuff" really is easier than it looks.

.

On 12/14/2014 04:29 PM, Michael DeBusk wrote:

> (Remember to use "reply all" on messages to this list)
>
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM, C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the ideas but that method just wanted to install around 1Gb
>> of updates on my machine which is way too much for just simple Gnucash.
> You could always uninstall them after you've built.
>
>> Also, the git it mentions .....the guy is installing something like
>> version 2.4.  I want 2.6 or newer.
> It works with version 2.6 and newer.
After entering-

sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash

..here's the error message I got-

E: Unable to find a source package for gnucash

Any ideas what to do?

Alek

> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments
> Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
> Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

Re: How do I upgrade to GnuCash 2.6.4?

Tommy Trussell
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:25 AM, C <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/14/2014 04:29 PM, Michael DeBusk wrote:
> > (Remember to use "reply all" on messages to this list)
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM, C <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the ideas but that method just wanted to install around 1Gb
> >> of updates on my machine which is way too much for just simple Gnucash.
> > You could always uninstall them after you've built.
> >
> >> Also, the git it mentions .....the guy is installing something like
> >> version 2.4.  I want 2.6 or newer.
> > It works with version 2.6 and newer.
> After entering-
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash
>

> ..here's the error message I got-
>
> E: Unable to find a source package for gnucash
>
> Any ideas what to do?
>
> Alek

It sounds like you don't have the "universe" source code repository active.

Note you MAY (in fact probably do) have a "universe" repository active, but
you need to either use the "Source Code" checkbox in the "Software Sources"
tool OR edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file by hand to activate the
appropriate line that starts with "deb-src" and contains the "universe"
repository whose source you are hoping to build.