How do I import OFX files?????

12

How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
I'm running GC 2.2.9 on Opensuse 11.2.

I've been running GC now for about five years and always wanted to be able to
import my accounts from my credit union. I've never been able to.

My credit union, Coastal Community lets me download files in the following
formats:

Simply Accounting produces a file called statement.ofx
Microsoft Money produces a file called statement.ofx
PDF produces a file called statement.pdf
CSV produces a file called statement.csv
Quickbooks produces a file called statement.qbo
Quicken produces a file called statement.qfx

I create a new GC file called Bob&Betty with empty accounts.
I import one of the files called statement.ofx

I get a pop up window called generic import transaction matcher. It's EMPTY!

What am I supposed to match to what?

I've looked for documentation and only see references to QIF format files. GC,
however, talks about QIF, OFX/QFX, MT940, MT942, DTAUS, etc.

Is there some documentation elsewhere I can use to figure out what is going
on?

Thanks, Bob.

PS. Talking to Credit Union staff about this is absolutely useless they simply
don't want to know about any of this.
--
Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

FireFly
Have you tried opening the ofx file in a text editor?

Sounds to me like you are downloading an empty file.
[...]

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Kage_
File -> Import -> OFX / QFX

Mike

On 3/2/2010 9:07 PM, Bob Smits wrote:

> I'm running GC 2.2.9 on Opensuse 11.2.
>
> I've been running GC now for about five years and always wanted to be able to
> import my accounts from my credit union. I've never been able to.
>
> My credit union, Coastal Community lets me download files in the following
> formats:
>
> Simply Accounting produces a file called statement.ofx
> Microsoft Money produces a file called statement.ofx
> PDF produces a file called statement.pdf
> CSV produces a file called statement.csv
> Quickbooks produces a file called statement.qbo
> Quicken produces a file called statement.qfx
>
> I create a new GC file called Bob&Betty with empty accounts.
> I import one of the files called statement.ofx
>
> I get a pop up window called generic import transaction matcher. It's EMPTY!
>
> What am I supposed to match to what?
>
> I've looked for documentation and only see references to QIF format files. GC,
> however, talks about QIF, OFX/QFX, MT940, MT942, DTAUS, etc.
>
> Is there some documentation elsewhere I can use to figure out what is going
> on?
>
> Thanks, Bob.
>
> PS. Talking to Credit Union staff about this is absolutely useless they simply
> don't want to know about any of this.

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Kage_
Sry... For that reply, my mind was in other world.

Your getting the OFX from your bank?  When you go to import the first
time you should get a window to pick which account.  After that there
should be transactions to select.  Is this where it's blank?

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 08:01:11 pm M Prindle wrote:
> Sry... For that reply, my mind was in other world.
>
> Your getting the OFX from your bank?  When you go to import the first
> time you should get a window to pick which account.  After that there
> should be transactions to select.  Is this where it's blank?
>
> Mike

Yes, Mike, I'm downloading the .ofx file from, in this case, my credit union.

After I download it, and click on file, import OFX/QFX, a window pops up but
it is completely blank.  Doesn't recognize anything.

Yet when I open the .ofx file with Kwrite I can see that there is data in the
file.

These are the first few lines of the file.

OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:TYPE1
ENCODING:USASCII
CHARSET:1252
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>
 <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

Thanks, Bob

On 3/2/2010 10:47 PM, Bob Smits wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 March 2010 08:01:11 pm M Prindle wrote:
>
>> Sry... For that reply, my mind was in other world.
>>
>> Your getting the OFX from your bank?  When you go to import the first
>> time you should get a window to pick which account.  After that there
>> should be transactions to select.  Is this where it's blank?
>>
>> Mike
>>
> Yes, Mike, I'm downloading the .ofx file from, in this case, my credit union.
>
> After I download it, and click on file, import OFX/QFX, a window pops up but
> it is completely blank.  Doesn't recognize anything.
>
> Yet when I open the .ofx file with Kwrite I can see that there is data in the
> file.
>
> These are the first few lines of the file.
>
> OFXHEADER:100
> DATA:OFXSGML
> VERSION:102
> SECURITY:TYPE1
> ENCODING:USASCII
> CHARSET:1252
> COMPRESSION:NONE
> OLDFILEUID:NONE
> NEWFILEUID:NONE
>
> <OFX>
>   <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
>
> Thanks, Bob

I looked at one of my QFX import files and it looks almost exactly the
same format.  Do you happen to have another account with another bank or
possibly a Credit Card account that you can get a QFX or OFX from?  If
are able to get one from some place else and it works, it's possible
that there is some issue in the structure they are using.

I personally use the quicken QFX format with GC and haven't had a issue
under 2.2.9.  That maybe worth a try.

Mike

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Jeff Kletsky-3
Maybe you need to create the chart of accounts first?

It wouldn't surprise me if the matcher window expects there to be an
account to put things in...

Bob Smits wrote:

> I'm running GC 2.2.9 on Opensuse 11.2.
>
> I've been running GC now for about five years and always wanted to be able to
> import my accounts from my credit union. I've never been able to.
>
> My credit union, Coastal Community lets me download files in the following
> formats:
>
> Simply Accounting produces a file called statement.ofx
> Microsoft Money produces a file called statement.ofx
> PDF produces a file called statement.pdf
> CSV produces a file called statement.csv
> Quickbooks produces a file called statement.qbo
> Quicken produces a file called statement.qfx
>
> I create a new GC file called Bob&Betty with empty accounts.
> I import one of the files called statement.ofx
>
> I get a pop up window called generic import transaction matcher. It's EMPTY!
>
> What am I supposed to match to what?
>
> I've looked for documentation and only see references to QIF format files. GC,
> however, talks about QIF, OFX/QFX, MT940, MT942, DTAUS, etc.
>
> Is there some documentation elsewhere I can use to figure out what is going
> on?
>
> Thanks, Bob.
>
> PS. Talking to Credit Union staff about this is absolutely useless they simply
> don't want to know about any of this.

Liz

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Liz
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Bob Smits wrote:
> I create a new GC file called Bob&Betty with empty accounts.
> I import one of the files called statement.ofx
>
> I get a pop up window called generic import transaction matcher. It's
>  EMPTY!
>
> What am I supposed to match to what?

The problem is exactly here.
You made an empty account, and so the matcher cannot match anything
You have to open in the correct account, else there is nothing to match.
It is in fact quite logical, that you have this result.

If this cautious, you need a duplicate of your file.

--
Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is
oblivion.

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
On March 3, 2010 01:27:30 am Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Bob Smits wrote:
> > I create a new GC file called Bob&Betty with empty accounts.
> > I import one of the files called statement.ofx
> >
> > I get a pop up window called generic import transaction matcher. It's
> >  EMPTY!
> >
> > What am I supposed to match to what?
>
> The problem is exactly here.
> You made an empty account, and so the matcher cannot match anything
> You have to open in the correct account, else there is nothing to match.
> It is in fact quite logical, that you have this result.
>
> If this cautious, you need a duplicate of your file.

I don't understand, Elizabeth. I want to import records to a new file because
I don't want to enter three years of data by hand.

Do you mean I need to open the chequing account and then import?

The file has a chequing account, a savings account, a mortgage account, etc.

Why can't I match records in the statement.ofx to these accounts?
--
Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
On March 3, 2010 01:27:30 am Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Bob Smits wrote:
> > I create a new GC file called Bob&Betty with empty accounts.
> > I import one of the files called statement.ofx
> >
> > I get a pop up window called generic import transaction matcher. It's
> >  EMPTY!
> >
> > What am I supposed to match to what?
>
> The problem is exactly here.
> You made an empty account, and so the matcher cannot match anything
> You have to open in the correct account, else there is nothing to match.
> It is in fact quite logical, that you have this result.
>
> If this cautious, you need a duplicate of your file.

Further to my earlier reply, Elizabeth.

I had an old copy of Bob&Betty from 2006 with transactions in it and I tried
to import into that with the same result. Is this because the matcher is
trying to match existing transactions that are already entered in the account?

(And there are no 2006 transactions in the Bob&Betty file?)

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Bob Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On March 3, 2010 01:27:30 am Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Bob Smits wrote:
>> > I create a new GC file called Bob&Betty with empty accounts.
>> > I import one of the files called statement.ofx
>> >
>> > I get a pop up window called generic import transaction matcher. It's
>> >  EMPTY!
>> >
>> > What am I supposed to match to what?
>>
>> The problem is exactly here.
>> You made an empty account, and so the matcher cannot match anything
>> You have to open in the correct account, else there is nothing to match.
>> It is in fact quite logical, that you have this result.
>>
>> If this cautious, you need a duplicate of your file.
>>

> Further to my earlier reply, Elizabeth.
>
> I had an old copy of Bob&Betty from 2006 with transactions in it and I tried
> to import into that with the same result. Is this because the matcher is
> trying to match existing transactions that are already entered in the account?
>
> (And there are no 2006 transactions in the Bob&Betty file?)
> --
> Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

If the transactions don't exist they should be flagged in yellow, if I
remember, which mean it wasn't able to find an transaction to match it
to and the A checked for adding the transaction.  From there you have
to select what category each will be assigned to then it will turn
green.

Where you able to find some other place that you can import an OFX/QFX from?

Mike

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
On March 3, 2010 02:30:11 pm M Prindle wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Bob Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> The problem is exactly here.
> >> You made an empty account, and so the matcher cannot match anything
> >> You have to open in the correct account, else there is nothing to match.
> >> It is in fact quite logical, that you have this result.
> >>
> >> If this cautious, you need a duplicate of your file.
> >
> > Further to my earlier reply, Elizabeth.
> >
> > I had an old copy of Bob&Betty from 2006 with transactions in it and I
> > tried to import into that with the same result. Is this because the
> > matcher is trying to match existing transactions that are already entered
> > in the account?
> >
> > (And there are no 2006 transactions in the Bob&Betty file?)
> > --
> > Robert Smits Email [hidden email]
>
> If the transactions don't exist they should be flagged in yellow, if I
> remember, which mean it wasn't able to find an transaction to match it
> to and the A checked for adding the transaction.  From there you have
> to select what category each will be assigned to then it will turn
> green.
>
> Where you able to find some other place that you can import an OFX/QFX
>  from?
>
> Mike

No. I only deal with one credit union for all my accounts.

I get the same result when I download an ofx statement for a current account
at work, which does have transactions in it covering this period of time.

The generic matcher window is always devoid of any transactions.

Thanks, Bob
--
Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
On March 3, 2010 02:30:11 pm M Prindle wrote:

> If the transactions don't exist they should be flagged in yellow, if I
> remember, which mean it wasn't able to find an transaction to match it
> to and the A checked for adding the transaction.  From there you have
> to select what category each will be assigned to then it will turn
> green.
>
> Where you able to find some other place that you can import an OFX/QFX
>  from?
>
> Mike

Are transactions supposed to show up in the generic matcher window?

I see nothing there, in any colour.

Bob
--
Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Michael Leone
Yes. When I import weekly transactions from my bank in OFX format, I
see a window with the date and amount of each transaction, and any new
transaction, I have to choose which account to match this transaction
to (such as which expense account this cash went to).

On 3/4/10, Bob Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On March 3, 2010 02:30:11 pm M Prindle wrote:
>

>> If the transactions don't exist they should be flagged in yellow, if I
>> remember, which mean it wasn't able to find an transaction to match it
>> to and the A checked for adding the transaction.  From there you have
>> to select what category each will be assigned to then it will turn
>> green.
>>
>> Where you able to find some other place that you can import an OFX/QFX
>>  from?
>>
>> Mike
>>
> Are transactions supposed to show up in the generic matcher window?
>
> I see nothing there, in any colour.
>
> Bob
> --
> Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

Sent from my mobile device

Michael J. Leone, <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
I may have discovered something important.

My version of the .ofx file created is apparently 1.02. This means, I think,
that it is using sgml instead of xml to generate the file.

Is the generic matcher expecting an xml file?

Bob

--
Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

David Reiser

On Mar 5, 2010, at 12:01 AM, Bob Smits wrote:

> I may have discovered something important.
>
> My version of the .ofx file created is apparently 1.02. This means, I think,
> that it is using sgml instead of xml to generate the file.
>
> Is the generic matcher expecting an xml file?

No. version 1.02 is by far the most common version ofx files are written to. I get ofx files from something like 10 places, and they're all 102.

> Bob
>
> --
> Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

You've shown us the header. Can you disguise the information later in the file enough to send more of a sample? My first guess is that there's a problem with data in the <FITID> fields. If you could leave the header in, and include disguised stuff from there until you get a couple <STMTTRN> ... </STMTTRN> blocks, then delete everything up to the last </STMTTRN> and then include the remainder of the file (disguised as necessary)? We might be able to make sense of your issue, and possibly remove your ofx files as the cause.

What happens if you copy the following into a text file and try importing it?

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
On March 4, 2010 09:48:24 pm David Reiser wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2010, at 12:01 AM, Bob Smits wrote:
> > I may have discovered something important.
> >
> > My version of the .ofx file created is apparently 1.02. This means, I
> > think, that it is using sgml instead of xml to generate the file.
> >
> > Is the generic matcher expecting an xml file?
>
> No. version 1.02 is by far the most common version ofx files are written
>  to. I get ofx files from something like 10 places, and they're all 102.
>
> > Bob
>
> You've shown us the header. Can you disguise the information later in the
>  file enough to send more of a sample? My first guess is that there's a
>  problem with data in the <FITID> fields. If you could leave the header in,
>  and include disguised stuff from there until you get a couple <STMTTRN>
>  ... </STMTTRN> blocks, then delete everything up to the last </STMTTRN>
>  and then include the remainder of the file (disguised as necessary)? We
>  might be able to make sense of your issue, and possibly remove your ofx
>  files as the cause.
>
> What happens if you copy the following into a text file and try importing
>  it?

Thanks Dave.

I copied the file info to KWrite, created sample.ofx and tried to import it
into gnucash. Nothing shows up in the generic matching window at all.

(File, import, import ofx/qfx)

When I look at the file, is it enough to disguise the acctid numbers?

(I don't know what I'm looking at and am afraid to broadcast it)

On Mar 5, 2010, at 12:32 PM, Bob Smits wrote:

> On March 4, 2010 09:48:24 pm David Reiser wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2010, at 12:01 AM, Bob Smits wrote:
>>> I may have discovered something important.
>>>
>>> My version of the .ofx file created is apparently 1.02. This means, I
>>> think, that it is using sgml instead of xml to generate the file.
>>>
>>> Is the generic matcher expecting an xml file?
>>
>> No. version 1.02 is by far the most common version ofx files are written
>> to. I get ofx files from something like 10 places, and they're all 102.
>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> You've shown us the header. Can you disguise the information later in the
>> file enough to send more of a sample? My first guess is that there's a
>> problem with data in the <FITID> fields. If you could leave the header in,
>> and include disguised stuff from there until you get a couple <STMTTRN>
>> ... </STMTTRN> blocks, then delete everything up to the last </STMTTRN>
>> and then include the remainder of the file (disguised as necessary)? We
>> might be able to make sense of your issue, and possibly remove your ofx
>> files as the cause.
>>
>> What happens if you copy the following into a text file and try importing
>> it?

You certainly want to change the acctid. Beyond that, it depends on how paranoid you are. I tend to change <NAME>, <TRNAMT>,  and <BALAMT> fields, but leave dates ( <DT....>) and <FITID> values. The <BALAMT> fields contain either your remaining credit limit on a card or your bank balance -- not crucial for identity theft purposes, but not something you necessarily want public. Changing the merchant names just makes it hard for someone to infer anything about your buying habits.

It certainly does seem like something is strange with your ofx setup. Do you know what version of libofx you have? I know you mentioned which distro and gnucash you're using, but could you refresh my memory, please? While I don't think it can interfere with a File>Import, which version of aqbanking do you have (if any)?

Is anything showing up in the terminal window between the time you select the file for import and the time the matcher window shows up?

It's really, really strange that gnucash isn't asking you what account you want associated with the account covered by the ofx file.

Dave
--
David Reiser

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Robert Smits
On March 5, 2010 06:58:51 pm David Reiser wrote:

> It certainly does seem like something is strange with your ofx setup. Do
>  you know what version of libofx you have? I know you mentioned which
>  distro and gnucash you're using, but could you refresh my memory, please?

I'm using OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.5, and my Gnucash version is 2.2.9, from the
copy built from r17949M on 2009-10-27.

>  While I don't think it can interfere with a File>Import, which version of
>  aqbanking do you have (if any)?

aqbanking is 4.0.0-3.5-x86_64 from vendor openSUSE.

> Is anything showing up in the terminal window between the time you select
>  the file for import and the time the matcher window shows up?

Terminal window? What terminal window?

I'm in Gnucash. I go to File, Import, Import OFX/QFX. Nothing new shows in
Gnucash, and the generic matcher window opens, but inside the window it is
blank - no transactions of any kind.

> It's really, really strange that gnucash isn't asking you what account you
>  want associated with the account covered by the ofx file.

I've sent the statement privately, David.
--
Robert Smits Email [hidden email]

Re: How do I import OFX files?????

Maf. King
On Saturday 06 March 2010 05:17:00 Bob Smits wrote:

> > Is anything showing up in the terminal window between the time you select
> >  the file for import and the time the matcher window shows up?
>
> Terminal window? What terminal window?
>
> I'm in Gnucash. I go to File, Import, Import OFX/QFX. Nothing new shows in
> Gnucash, and the generic matcher window opens, but inside the window it is
> blank - no transactions of any kind.

Hi Bob,

If you open a terminal window, and then run the command gnucash you may get
some debugging/error messages printed into the terminal window while GC runs.

HTH,
Maf.

12