How are PINs stored? (aqbanking)

Dane Powell
I am having problems with remembered PINs for online banking.
Specifically, PINs for my accounts are never remembered, even though
the "remember PIN" box is checked.

Are PINs supposed to be stored on disk somewhere? If so, can they be
manually edited?

I would appreciate any advice or tips to troubleshoot this. Thanks!

Re: How are PINs stored? (aqbanking)

Johannes Kapune
Hi Dane,
as far as I know the button to store your password only store it in your
actual session. Every time you start GnuCash new you have to enter your
password again. As far as I know Martin (he is the developer) does not
store passwords on disk.

Johannes

Am 03.07.2012 18:01, schrieb Dane Powell:

> I am having problems with remembered PINs for online banking.
> Specifically, PINs for my accounts are never remembered, even though
> the "remember PIN" box is checked.
>
> Are PINs supposed to be stored on disk somewhere? If so, can they be
> manually edited?
>
> I would appreciate any advice or tips to troubleshoot this. Thanks!

Re: How are PINs stored? (aqbanking)

Dane Powell
Hah, well that would explain it. Thanks Johannes. Is it possible to
put in a feature request to store PINs permanently? Even if it's a
manual 'hack' rather than a front-end option- I understand that there
could be security implications for the general public, but I use
full-disk encryption etc... and would be quite comfortable storing my
PIN on disk.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Johannes Kapune <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dane,
> as far as I know the button to store your password only store it in your
> actual session. Every time you start GnuCash new you have to enter your
> password again. As far as I know Martin (he is the developer) does not store
> passwords on disk.
>
> Johannes
>

> Am 03.07.2012 18:01, schrieb Dane Powell:
>>
>> I am having problems with remembered PINs for online banking.
>> Specifically, PINs for my accounts are never remembered, even though
>> the "remember PIN" box is checked.
>>
>> Are PINs supposed to be stored on disk somewhere? If so, can they be
>> manually edited?
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice or tips to troubleshoot this. Thanks!

Re: How are PINs stored? (aqbanking)

sunfish62
Have you considered: http://keepass.info/ ?

That will store all your passwords and PINs in one place...

David

________________________________
Hah, well that would explain it. Thanks Johannes. Is it possible to
put in a feature request to store PINs permanently? Even if it's a
manual 'hack' rather than a front-end option- I understand that there
could be security implications for the general public, but I use
full-disk encryption etc... and would be quite comfortable storing my
PIN on disk.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Johannes Kapune <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dane,
> as far as I know the button to store your password only store it in your
> actual session. Every time you start GnuCash new you have to enter your
> password again. As far as I know Martin (he is the developer) does not store
> passwords on disk.
>
> Johannes
>

> Am 03.07.2012 18:01, schrieb Dane Powell:
>>
>> I am having problems with remembered PINs for online banking.
>> Specifically, PINs for my accounts are never remembered, even though
>> the "remember PIN" box is checked.
>>
>> Are PINs supposed to be stored on disk somewhere? If so, can they be
>> manually edited?
>>
>> I would appreciate any advice or tips to troubleshoot this. Thanks!

Re: How are PINs stored? (aqbanking)

Dane Powell
Thanks for the suggestion- I've used and love KeePass. But it doesn't
solve the problem of having to manually enter a bunch of PINs every
single time I open gnucash.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you considered: http://keepass.info/ ?
>
> That will store all your passwords and PINs in one place...
>
> David
>
> ________________________________

Ah. I misread "problems with remembered PINs" to mean YOU had trouble remembering them (I know *I* do!)--not that Gnucash had the problems.

Sorry about that!

David

________________________________
Thanks for the suggestion- I've used and love KeePass. But it doesn't
solve the problem of having to manually enter a bunch of PINs every
single time I open gnucash.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you considered: http://keepass.info/ ?
>
> That will store all your passwords and PINs in one place...
>
> David
>
> ________________________________

bhoth
Just bringing this back up. is there any change on remembering the online
update pins permanently. I just switched a few days ago from Quicken and
it's annoying to have to enter the password each day or whenever I connect
for online "get transactions".

Thank you

Re: How are PINs stored? (aqbanking)

Derek Atkins
bhoth <[hidden email]> writes:

> Just bringing this back up. is there any change on remembering the online
> update pins permanently. I just switched a few days ago from Quicken and
> it's annoying to have to enter the password each day or whenever I connect
> for online "get transactions".

GnuCash will save it in memory for the session, but will not store it.
I don't know if there are any plans to add KeyStore storage for it.