Help with Price Editor

Daniel Carrera-2
Hello,

I don't really understand the price editor. Suppose it says:

GBP (British Pound) - CAD - <date> - <price>

Does this mean that:

1 GBP = <price> CAD

Or that:

1 CAD = <price> GBP

?

Suppose my reporting currency is CAD, and I want to include the price of
GBP and EUR. There are two ways that the price editor could look like,
and I don't know which one is the right one:

Option 1:
---------
CURRENCY
   > GBP
     > GBP (British Pound) - CAD - <date> - <price>
   > EUR
     > EUR (Euro) - CAD - <date> - <price>

Option 2:
---------
CURRENCY
   > CAD
     > CAD (Canadian Dollar) - GBP - <date> - <price>
     > CAD (Canadian Dollar) - EUR - <date> - <price>

Which one is right?

If I want to take a bank account in EUR and have a total asset value
expressed in CAD, which one do I want? Which one do you use to convert
Euros to Canadian dollars?

Thanks for the help. I have to say that I'm mighty confused by the price
editor. But I'll have to figure it out soon because now I want to start
adding stocks as well. Things will get more complicated when I buy
stocks. I want to buy some stocks that are sold in US dollars, but I
want to report my total assets in Canadian dollars.

Please help.

Best,
Daniel.

Re: Help with Price Editor

Robert Ramsdell
Daniel,

Think of it like a share of stock.  The price editor is telling you the
value of a GBP in CAN, so 1 GBP = <price> CAD.

Robert

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 15:57 +0200, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't really understand the price editor. Suppose it says:
>
> GBP (British Pound) - CAD - <date> - <price>
>
> Does this mean that:
>
> 1 GBP = <price> CAD
>
> Or that:
>
> 1 CAD = <price> GBP
>
> ?
>

> Suppose my reporting currency is CAD, and I want to include the price of
> GBP and EUR. There are two ways that the price editor could look like,
> and I don't know which one is the right one:
>
> Option 1:
> ---------
> CURRENCY
>    > GBP
>      > GBP (British Pound) - CAD - <date> - <price>
>    > EUR
>      > EUR (Euro) - CAD - <date> - <price>
>

> Option 2:
> ---------
> CURRENCY
>    > CAD
>      > CAD (Canadian Dollar) - GBP - <date> - <price>
>      > CAD (Canadian Dollar) - EUR - <date> - <price>
>

> Which one is right?
>
> If I want to take a bank account in EUR and have a total asset value
> expressed in CAD, which one do I want? Which one do you use to convert
> Euros to Canadian dollars?
>
> Thanks for the help. I have to say that I'm mighty confused by the price
> editor. But I'll have to figure it out soon because now I want to start
> adding stocks as well. Things will get more complicated when I buy
> stocks. I want to buy some stocks that are sold in US dollars, but I
> want to report my total assets in Canadian dollars.
>
> Please help.
>
> Best,
> Daniel.

Re: Help with Price Editor

Daniel Carrera-2
Thanks. I think I can remember that. At least that gives me a way to
think about it so I'll understand it.

Cheers,
Daniel.