Help on error message

Jane K. Aldea
Hello:
I am a new user to GnuCash, having only downloaded the software yesterday. The program keeps crashing, and I get this error message when trying to open the program:

GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file://C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Aldea Gnu.gnucash.

If I select open anyway, since I know the file is not open, the program crashes. I am using Windows 10.

Any help is appreciated.

Jane
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Help on error message

David Carlson-4
it is normal to get that error the next time you try to open your file
after the program has crashed.  The problem is to figure out why it is
crashing.  Do you remember what you were doing the first time it crashed?

If not, the first thing to try is to open the program with no file to see
if it crashes then.
If not, then try creating a new file to see if it crashes then.

If those tests went ok, then look in the GnuCash online FAQ's for more
ideas to check.  Feel free to ask more specific questions here.

David C

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Jane K. Aldea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello:
> I am a new user to GnuCash, having only downloaded the software yesterday.
> The program keeps crashing, and I get this error message when trying to
> open the program:
>
> GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file://C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Aldea
> Gnu.gnucash.
>
> If I select open anyway, since I know the file is not open, the program
> crashes. I am using Windows 10.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Jane
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Help on error message

Jane K. Aldea
Thank you David.
I was able to open again, and it crashes when I try to import a .CSV file
from my bank. I did notice that there is another thread about a .gif file
that caused the system to crash. Perhaps there is a problem with the
software. Have you ever heard of this happening? Any ideas on how I can
correct this? Also, is there a way to correct this so I do not keep getting
that error every time I open the file?

Thank you,

On Jan 3, 2017 5:33 PM, "David Carlson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> it is normal to get that error the next time you try to open your file
> after the program has crashed.  The problem is to figure out why it is
> crashing.  Do you remember what you were doing the first time it crashed?
>
> If not, the first thing to try is to open the program with no file to see
> if it crashes then.
> If not, then try creating a new file to see if it crashes then.
>
> If those tests went ok, then look in the GnuCash online FAQ's for more
> ideas to check.  Feel free to ask more specific questions here.
>
> David C
>

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Jane K. Aldea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> I am a new user to GnuCash, having only downloaded the software
>> yesterday. The program keeps crashing, and I get this error message when
>> trying to open the program:
>>
>> GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file://C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Aldea
>> Gnu.gnucash.
>>
>> If I select open anyway, since I know the file is not open, the program
>> crashes. I am using Windows 10.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Jane
>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Help on error message

Derek Atkins
Hi Jane,

Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thank you David.
> I was able to open again, and it crashes when I try to import a .CSV file
> from my bank. I did notice that there is another thread about a .gif file
> that caused the system to crash. Perhaps there is a problem with the
> software. Have you ever heard of this happening? Any ideas on how I can
> correct this? Also, is there a way to correct this so I do not keep getting
> that error every time I open the file?

What version of GnuCash do you have installed?
What version of Windows are you using?

> Thank you,

-derek

> On Jan 3, 2017 5:33 PM, "David Carlson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> it is normal to get that error the next time you try to open your file
>> after the program has crashed.  The problem is to figure out why it is
>> crashing.  Do you remember what you were doing the first time it crashed?
>>
>> If not, the first thing to try is to open the program with no file to see
>> if it crashes then.
>> If not, then try creating a new file to see if it crashes then.
>>
>> If those tests went ok, then look in the GnuCash online FAQ's for more
>> ideas to check.  Feel free to ask more specific questions here.
>>
>> David C
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Jane K. Aldea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>> I am a new user to GnuCash, having only downloaded the software
>>> yesterday. The program keeps crashing, and I get this error message when
>>> trying to open the program:
>>>
>>> GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file://C:\Users\Jane\Documents\Aldea
>>> Gnu.gnucash.
>>>
>>> If I select open anyway, since I know the file is not open, the program
>>> crashes. I am using Windows 10.
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jane
>>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Help on error message

David Carlson-4
I do not want to put words into the OP's mouth but the first post suggested
that it is probably release 2.6.15 'having only downloaded the software
yesterday' in Windows 10 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'

David C

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jane,
>
> Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Thank you David.
> > I was able to open again, and it crashes when I try to import a .CSV file
> > from my bank. I did notice that there is another thread about a .gif file
> > that caused the system to crash. Perhaps there is a problem with the
> > software. Have you ever heard of this happening? Any ideas on how I can
> > correct this? Also, is there a way to correct this so I do not keep
> getting
> > that error every time I open the file?
>
> What version of GnuCash do you have installed?
> What version of Windows are you using?
>
> > Thank you,
>
> -derek
>
> > On Jan 3, 2017 5:33 PM, "David Carlson" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> >> it is normal to get that error the next time you try to open your file
> >> after the program has crashed.  The problem is to figure out why it is
> >> crashing.  Do you remember what you were doing the first time it
> crashed?
> >>
> >> If not, the first thing to try is to open the program with no file to
> see
> >> if it crashes then.
> >> If not, then try creating a new file to see if it crashes then.
> >>
> >> If those tests went ok, then look in the GnuCash online FAQ's for more
> >> ideas to check.  Feel free to ask more specific questions here.
> >>
> >> David C

> when

> Documents\Aldea

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Help on error message

Jane K. Aldea
Hi,

Yes, the version is GnuCash 2.6.15, and I am using Windows 10. I made a
copy of the file, and have been able to open it with no error, and I was
able to import a csv file from my credit card into this file. I am going to
try another csv upload today.

Thanks!
Jane

Best Regards,
Jane Knichel Aldea
201-725-3507

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:59 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I do not want to put words into the OP's mouth but the first post
> suggested that it is probably release 2.6.15 'having only downloaded the
> software yesterday' in Windows 10 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'
>
> David C
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jane,
>>
>> Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Thank you David.
>> > I was able to open again, and it crashes when I try to import a .CSV
>> file
>> > from my bank. I did notice that there is another thread about a .gif
>> file
>> > that caused the system to crash. Perhaps there is a problem with the
>> > software. Have you ever heard of this happening? Any ideas on how I can
>> > correct this? Also, is there a way to correct this so I do not keep
>> getting
>> > that error every time I open the file?
>>
>> What version of GnuCash do you have installed?
>> What version of Windows are you using?
>>
>> > Thank you,
>>
>> -derek

>> crashed?

>> see

>> when

>> \Aldea

>> program

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Help on error message

Jane K. Aldea
I saved a new file, and was able to import two csv files, but on the third
file the system crashed again. Is it possible something is wrong with the
download file, since I am downloading from separate financial institutions?
And if so, how do I check this?

I am spending a lot of time setting this up, and beginning to think I will
have to find another solution if the system crashes every time I use it.

Thank you for your help.

wrote:

> I do not want to put words into the OP's mouth but the first post
> suggested that it is probably release 2.6.15 'having only downloaded the
> software yesterday' in Windows 10 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'
>
> David C
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jane,
>>
>> Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Thank you David.
>> > I was able to open again, and it crashes when I try to import a .CSV
>> file
>> > from my bank. I did notice that there is another thread about a .gif
>> file
>> > that caused the system to crash. Perhaps there is a problem with the
>> > software. Have you ever heard of this happening? Any ideas on how I can
>> > correct this? Also, is there a way to correct this so I do not keep
>> getting
>> > that error every time I open the file?
>>
>> What version of GnuCash do you have installed?
>> What version of Windows are you using?
>>
>> > Thank you,
>>
>> -derek

>> crashed?

>> see

>> when

>> \Aldea

>> program

>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Help on error message

Jane, you may find that QIF or OFX format files import easier than csv, if
your financial institution offers them.  They may just be called "Quicken
format" or something similar.

David C

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]>

> Yes, the version is GnuCash 2.6.15, and I am using Windows 10. I made a
> copy of the file, and have been able to open it with no error, and I was
> able to import a csv file from my credit card into this file. I am going to
> try another csv upload today.
>
> Thanks!
> Jane
>
> Best Regards,
> Jane Knichel Aldea
> 201-725-3507 <(201)%20725-3507>
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:59 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> I do not want to put words into the OP's mouth but the first post
>> suggested that it is probably release 2.6.15 'having only downloaded the
>> software yesterday' in Windows 10 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'
>>
>> David C
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jane,

>>> file
>>> file
>>> getting
>>>
>>> What version of GnuCash do you have installed?
>>> What version of Windows are you using?

>>> -derek

>>> crashed?

>>> see

>>> when

>>> \Aldea

>>> program

>>> --
>>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Help on error message

While it would be better if GnuCash failed nicely on bad csv imports, it
appears that is not always the case.  GnuCash is better behaved with the
other formats.  I personally almost always get OFX format import files.

 For imports from Quicken, Moneydance, and other programs, QIF works better.

David C

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I saved a new file, and was able to import two csv files, but on the third
> file the system crashed again. Is it possible something is wrong with the
> download file, since I am downloading from separate financial institutions?
> And if so, how do I check this?
>
> I am spending a lot of time setting this up, and beginning to think I will
> have to find another solution if the system crashes every time I use it.
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Jane
>
> Best Regards,
> Jane Knichel Aldea
> 201-725-3507 <(201)%20725-3507>
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:59 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> I do not want to put words into the OP's mouth but the first post
>> suggested that it is probably release 2.6.15 'having only downloaded the
>> software yesterday' in Windows 10 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'
>>
>> David C
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jane,

>>> file
>>> file
>>> getting
>>>
>>> What version of GnuCash do you have installed?
>>> What version of Windows are you using?

>>> -derek

>>> crashed?

>>> see

>>> when

>>> \Aldea

>>> program

>>> --
>>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Help on error message

David Carlson-4
I should mention that GnuCash normally does not crash when a problem
happens.  These csv imports have only recently become a source of crashes.

I do not like to suggest using an older release, especially to a new user,
but if you cannot find a work-around to avoid csv files from that FI, you
might consider going back to release 2.6.14.

David C

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 7:48 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> While it would be better if GnuCash failed nicely on bad csv imports, it
> appears that is not always the case.  GnuCash is better behaved with the
> other formats.  I personally almost always get OFX format import files.
>

>  For imports from Quicken, Moneydance, and other programs, QIF works
> better.
>
> David C
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Jane Knichel-Aldea <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I saved a new file, and was able to import two csv files, but on the
>> third file the system crashed again. Is it possible something is wrong with
>> the download file, since I am downloading from separate financial
>> institutions? And if so, how do I check this?
>>
>> I am spending a lot of time setting this up, and beginning to think I
>> will have to find another solution if the system crashes every time I use
>> it.
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>> Jane
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Jane Knichel Aldea
>> 201-725-3507 <(201)%20725-3507>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:59 PM, David Carlson <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I do not want to put words into the OP's mouth but the first post
>>> suggested that it is probably release 2.6.15 'having only downloaded the
>>> software yesterday' in Windows 10 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'
>>>
>>> David C

Re: Help on error message

Jane K. Aldea
Thank you, I did try the OFX  format and it worked nicely. Thank you for
the suggestion.
Jane

wrote:

> I saved a new file, and was able to import two csv files, but on the third
> file the system crashed again. Is it possible something is wrong with the
> download file, since I am downloading from separate financial institutions?
> And if so, how do I check this?
>
> I am spending a lot of time setting this up, and beginning to think I will
> have to find another solution if the system crashes every time I use it.
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Jane
>
> Best Regards,
> Jane Knichel Aldea
> 201-725-3507 <(201)%20725-3507>
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:59 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> I do not want to put words into the OP's mouth but the first post
>> suggested that it is probably release 2.6.15 'having only downloaded the
>> software yesterday' in Windows 10 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'
>>
>> David C
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jane,

>>> file
>>> file
>>> getting
>>>
>>> What version of GnuCash do you have installed?
>>> What version of Windows are you using?

>>> -derek

>>> crashed?

>>> see

>>> when

>>> \Aldea

>>> program

>>> --
>>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: Help on error message

Burnell West
Quicken 16 on MacOS Sierra cannot generate QIF files, as far as I can determine. Thank you for this note.