Help needed with split

John K. Taber
ok, ok, I'm at a loss and need help. How do I enter this transaction?

Sell 500 shares of XYX at 31.64            15,820.00
Commission                10.95               (10.95)
Fee                         .25               (  .25)

I think this is a split transaction, but I haven't been able to make it
come out as expected.

How should I do it?

John

Re: Help needed with split

Derek Atkins
Quoting "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]>:

> ok, ok, I'm at a loss and need help. How do I enter this transaction?
>
> Sell 500 shares of XYX at 31.64            15,820.00
> Commission                10.95               (10.95)
> Fee                         .25               (  .25)
>
> I think this is a split transaction, but I haven't been able to make it
> come out as expected.
>
> How should I do it?

This is explained clearly in the docs.  but basically:

  Sell     -500 31.64    -15820.00
  Commission                 10.95
  Fee                          .25
  Bank                    15808.80

And dont forget to account for your capital gains.  Again, see the docs.

> John

Re: Help needed with split

John K. Taber
On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:36 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]>:
>
> > ok, ok, I'm at a loss and need help. How do I enter this transaction?
> >
> > Sell 500 shares of XYX at 31.64            15,820.00
> > Commission                10.95               (10.95)
> > Fee                         .25               (  .25)
> >
> > I think this is a split transaction, but I haven't been able to make it
> > come out as expected.
> >
> > How should I do it?
>
> This is explained clearly in the docs.  but basically:
>
>   Sell     -500 31.64    -15820.00
>   Commission                 10.95
>   Fee                          .25
>   Bank                    15808.80
>
> And dont forget to account for your capital gains.  Again, see the docs.
>
> > John

Did you think I didn't read the docs?

I read them, and did what you outlined. The results weren't what I
expect.

Perhaps the accounts aren't set up right because they are imported from
Quicken QIF.

The accounts are:
Fidelity Brokerage [type bank]
   XYX [type stock]

In Fidelity Brokerage, I enter
  Sell  XYZ   -500 31.64    -15820.00
  etc.

The full 15820 is showing in my brokerage cash balance, instead of
15,808.80.

I tried using the XYZ account also, to no better effect.

Depending on what I do, I get Orphaned USD, or Imbalance USD, or
Commissions: Fidelity Brokerage. With the last, I still get the wrong
amount of 15820 in the cash sweep.

John

Re: Help needed with split

Derek Atkins
Quoting "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:36 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Quoting "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> > ok, ok, I'm at a loss and need help. How do I enter this transaction?
>> >
>> > Sell 500 shares of XYX at 31.64            15,820.00
>> > Commission                10.95               (10.95)
>> > Fee                         .25               (  .25)
>> >
>> > I think this is a split transaction, but I haven't been able to make it
>> > come out as expected.
>> >
>> > How should I do it?
>>
>> This is explained clearly in the docs.  but basically:
>>
>>   Sell     -500 31.64    -15820.00
>>   Commission                 10.95
>>   Fee                          .25
>>   Bank                    15808.80
>>
>> And dont forget to account for your capital gains.  Again, see the docs.
>>
>> > John

>> -derek
>
> Did you think I didn't read the docs?

Honestly, yes, because this exact case is clearly stated in an example
in the docs.

> I read them, and did what you outlined. The results weren't what I
> expect.
>
> Perhaps the accounts aren't set up right because they are imported from
> Quicken QIF.

That shouldn't matter.

> The accounts are:
> Fidelity Brokerage [type bank]
>   XYX [type stock]
>
> In Fidelity Brokerage, I enter
>  Sell  XYZ   -500 31.64    -15820.00
>  etc.

Can you show a screen shot of the "etc" here?

> The full 15820 is showing in my brokerage cash balance, instead of
> 15,808.80.

That's because you put 15820 into the brokerage instead of 15808.80.

> I tried using the XYZ account also, to no better effect.
>
> Depending on what I do, I get Orphaned USD, or Imbalance USD, or
> Commissions: Fidelity Brokerage. With the last, I still get the wrong
> amount of 15820 in the cash sweep.

This just means you're not creating the full set of debits and credits.

> John

Re: Help needed with split

Frank Jessopp
John,

What is quite clear is that you will not progress until you, at least,
try to figure out these problems yourself. And remember those people
trying to help are unpaid and worthy of your respect.

Frank Jessopp

John K. Taber wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 15:36 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Quoting "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]>:
>>

>>> ok, ok, I'm at a loss and need help. How do I enter this transaction?
>>>
>>> Sell 500 shares of XYX at 31.64            15,820.00
>>> Commission                10.95               (10.95)
>>> Fee                         .25               (  .25)
>>>
>>> I think this is a split transaction, but I haven't been able to make it
>>> come out as expected.
>>>
>>> How should I do it?
>>>
>> This is explained clearly in the docs.  but basically:
>>
>>   Sell     -500 31.64    -15820.00
>>   Commission                 10.95
>>   Fee                          .25
>>   Bank                    15808.80
>>
>> And dont forget to account for your capital gains.  Again, see the docs.
>>

>>> John

>> -derek
>>

> Did you think I didn't read the docs?
>
> I read them, and did what you outlined. The results weren't what I
> expect.
>
> Perhaps the accounts aren't set up right because they are imported from
> Quicken QIF.
>
> The accounts are:
> Fidelity Brokerage [type bank]
>    XYX [type stock]
>
> In Fidelity Brokerage, I enter
>   Sell  XYZ   -500 31.64    -15820.00
>   etc.
>
> The full 15820 is showing in my brokerage cash balance, instead of
> 15,808.80.
>
> I tried using the XYZ account also, to no better effect.
>
> Depending on what I do, I get Orphaned USD, or Imbalance USD, or
> Commissions: Fidelity Brokerage. With the last, I still get the wrong
> amount of 15820 in the cash sweep.
>
> John

Frank Jessopp, <[hidden email]>
93 Jessopp Avenue, BRIDPORT DT6 4AS
Telephone 01308 422144

Please retain the Subject reference

Re: Help needed with split

Doug Laidlaw
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 07:48:11 am Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]>:

> >> This is explained clearly in the docs.  but basically:
> >>
> >>   Sell     -500 31.64    -15820.00
> >>   Commission                 10.95
> >>   Fee                          .25
> >>   Bank                    15808.80
> >>
> >> And dont forget to account for your capital gains.  Again, see the docs.

> >> -derek
> >
> > Did you think I didn't read the docs?
>
> Honestly, yes, because this exact case is clearly stated in an example
> in the docs.
>
> > I read them, and did what you outlined. The results weren't what I
> > expect.
> >
> > Perhaps the accounts aren't set up right because they are imported from
> > Quicken QIF.
>
> That shouldn't matter.
>
> > The accounts are:
> > Fidelity Brokerage [type bank]
> >   XYX [type stock]
> >
> > In Fidelity Brokerage, I enter
> >  Sell  XYZ   -500 31.64    -15820.00
> >  etc.
>
> Can you show a screen shot of the "etc" here?
>
> > The full 15820 is showing in my brokerage cash balance, instead of
> > 15,808.80.
>
> That's because you put 15820 into the brokerage instead of 15808.80.
>
> > I tried using the XYZ account also, to no better effect.
> >
> > Depending on what I do, I get Orphaned USD, or Imbalance USD, or
> > Commissions: Fidelity Brokerage. With the last, I still get the wrong
> > amount of 15820 in the cash sweep.
>
> This just means you're not creating the full set of debits and credits.
>
> > John
>
> -derek

I don't want to butt in, but you haven't told us what the amount showing in
Orphan or Imbalance is.  What Derek is saying is that the amount will be
15820.00 less  15808.20, or $11.80.  That amount is already inthe Commission
and Fee, so in effect you are entering it twice.  The program didn't subtract
it; that is how a split works - you have to apportion it.

HTH,

Doug.

--
They change their climate, not their soul, who run beyond the sea.
   - Horace, Roman poet, 1st c. B.C.

Re: Help needed with split

John K. Taber
On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 17:48 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]>:

> > The full 15820 is showing in my brokerage cash balance, instead of
> > 15,808.80.
>
> That's because you put 15820 into the brokerage instead of 15808.80.

That's it! I forgot that in the doc example the NET SALE is shown
first.

I'll try again when I'm not so tired.

John

Re: Help needed with split

John K. Taber
Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> I don't want to butt in, but you haven't told us what the amount showing in
> Orphan or Imbalance is.  What Derek is saying is that the amount will be
> 15820.00 less  15808.20, or $11.80.  That amount is already inthe Commission
> and Fee, so in effect you are entering it twice.  The program didn't subtract
> it; that is how a split works - you have to apportion it.
>
> HTH,

This "butting in" is helpful. I would like to see more of it.

I got it finally. My major problem was not realizing that "split"
doesn't do all the arithmetic, I have to do it.

Second problem was not having an "account" category to receive the
profit from the sale. Just following the example in the doc blindly led
to puzzling results.

But I did get it, finally: gross, net, commission, profit, and capital
gains.

John

Re: Help needed with split

Josh Sled
"John K. Taber" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I got it finally. My major problem was not realizing that "split"
> doesn't do all the arithmetic, I have to do it.

Two things...

- basic math expressions (+,-,/,*,()) are processed in the credit/debit cells
  as you tab out of the cell or press keypad-enter, which can be useful in
  doing this arithmetic.

- there should be a "remaining balance" split at the end of the transaction,
  which is computed as the difference in the balance of the existing
  credit/debit cells, which I find useful.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}

Re: Help needed with split

Andrew Sackville-West-2
On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 01:13:24PM -0400, Josh Sled wrote:
> "John K. Taber" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I got it finally. My major problem was not realizing that "split"
> > doesn't do all the arithmetic, I have to do it.
>
> Two things...
>
> - basic math expressions (+,-,/,*,()) are processed in the credit/debit cells
>   as you tab out of the cell or press keypad-enter, which can be useful in
>   doing this arithmetic.

that is by far one of the best little features of gnucash. an actual
in-fix arithmetic interpreter in the split line. I use it all the
time.