Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

ben-gnucash
I completely understand that a Gnucash Windows port is nonexistant and
nontrivial.  However, I nonetheless need to run Gnucash on a Windows
laptop.  So ANY help anyone can be is appreciated, especially if someone
has tried some of these things.  My ideas are:

1.  Install GnuCash locally on the windows machine   (I don't think
option 1 will work)
a) over Cygwin
b) over Microsoft SFU
c) over CoLinux
d) over some other similar environment

2.  Or  install GnuCash on a Linux server and display the X session
using (this seems like it should work - any experiences?)
a)  Cygwin/X
b) X-Win32
c)  using some other Xserver that I'm not aware of.

3.  Display it using VNC (I'm sure this would work, but in every other
regard it's the worst option)

If anyone has any experience, particularly with #2, any information is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Re: Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Josh Sled
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 10:52 -0600, [hidden email] wrote:
> I completely understand that a Gnucash Windows port is nonexistant and
> nontrivial.  However, I nonetheless need to run Gnucash on a Windows
> laptop.  So ANY help anyone can be is appreciated, especially if someone
> has tried some of these things.  My ideas are:

I regularly run gnucash (develop it, even) on my Win2K laptop using a
super-old version of the Hummingbird Exceed X server.  I'm sure the
cygwin X server will work fine, too.

VMWare is another option.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Bill Wohler
[hidden email] writes:

> 2.  Or  install GnuCash on a Linux server and display the X session
>     using (this seems like it should work - any experiences?)

Yes. I used Hummingbird 10 years ago. If it worked then, it'll work now.
I've heard about Cygwin/X. Give it a whirl.

#4 Install VMWare and install a Linux client within it. (Although the
 safer alternative is to install Linux on the host, and then install
 one or more Windows clients within VMWare. So if Windows crashes, it
 doesn't take down the rest of your system.)

--
Bill Wohler <[hidden email]>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD

Re: Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Josh Sled
[PLEASE CC: the mailing list so others/archive/search-engines/searchers
benefit...]

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 10:20 -0700, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> Please advise. My wife runs her business from her Compaq laptop running
> WinXPhome, and would love to be able to access my gnucash installation on
> our home linux box.
>
> How would I set up her WinXPhome installation so she could access gnucash
> running downstairs?

In summary:
  - run an X server on the windows box
  - ssh from windows to linux
  - run gnucash on the linux box
  - let ssh tunnel the X-windows traffic through back to x windows
    on the windows box.

In short:

1/ install cygwin on the windows box
   - specifically needed: bash, openssh, x server

2/ On the windows box:

  Start > Run... > bash
  bash$ startx & # I've never done this, so this is handwave-y.
  bash$ ssh -X user@linuxbox
  Password: [login]

3/ On linux box (via ssh):

  bash$ gnucash &

At this point, gnucash should start displaying in the X Server on the
windows box, but running on the linux box.

For more info: http://www.google.com/search?q=remote+x+windows+howto

[Note that this has nothing to do with gnucash in particular, so I'll
probably ignore followup questions about it in this forum; your
distribution's support channels will probably be more useful.]

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 12:36 pm, someone claiming to be Bill Wohler
wrote:

> [hidden email] writes:
> > 2.  Or  install GnuCash on a Linux server and display the X session
> >     using (this seems like it should work - any experiences?)
>
> Yes. I used Hummingbird 10 years ago. If it worked then, it'll work now.
> I've heard about Cygwin/X. Give it a whirl.
>
> #4 Install VMWare and install a Linux client within it. (Although the
>  safer alternative is to install Linux on the host, and then install
>  one or more Windows clients within VMWare. So if Windows crashes, it
>  doesn't take down the rest of your system.)
I access gnucash that runs on my FC4 desktop/server machine from WinXP using
FreeNX/nx. FreeNX uses optimized X over ssh. Running it remotely over the
internet is amazingly responsive. I run my KDE desktop remotely over a 384K
DSL line with hardly any lag.

This is how I configured FreeNX originally on my FC2 system. Current FreeNX/nx
is much easier to set up.
http://www.linux-sxs.org/guis/FreeNX_on_FC2.html
If you do it this way, be sure to install all the fonts from nomachine.

Other links
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/freenx/
http://www.nomachine.com/

HTH,
Tim

--
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz), Linux 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4
KDE: 3.5.0-4.0.fc4.kde, xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

Re: Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Glen Ditchfield
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 10:52, [hidden email] wrote:
> ... I nonetheless need to run Gnucash on a Windows
> laptop.

You can pick up a VMware Player image containing SuSE 10 at
http://developer.kde.org/~binner/vmware/
and install GnuCash into it, if it isn't already there.  VMware Player is
free.

Re: Help: getting Gnucash to somewhat work in Windows

Mark H. Wood-2