Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

Robert Heller
Refer to the screenshot at the URL:

http://www.deepsoft.com/split.png

Due to a small math error, I ended up with a extra imbalance.  After
fixing it, I then ended up with a 'blank' imbalance transaction.  How
do I get rid of this?  Do I have to completely delete the split and
re-enter it from scratch?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

Derek Atkins
um, did you try to just right-click on that line and delete it?

-derek

At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:30:40 -0400 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> um, did you try to just right-click on that line and delete it?

That deletes the whole split transaction!

> -derek
>
> Quoting Robert Heller <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Refer to the screenshot at the URL:
> >
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/split.png
> >
> > Due to a small math error, I ended up with a extra imbalance.  After
> > fixing it, I then ended up with a 'blank' imbalance transaction.  How
> > do I get rid of this?  Do I have to completely delete the split and
> > re-enter it from scratch?
> >

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
> > [hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
[hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

Derek Atkins
Works fine for me.  The menu item is labeled "Delete Transaction"
but it will just delete the split.  Perhaps we should try harder to
change the context menu item from "Delete Transaction" to "Delete Split"
in this case...  but no, it does not delete the whole transaction.

I just verified this myself, so, I'm afraid that you are confused.

-derek

Quoting Robert Heller <[hidden email]>:

> At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:30:40 -0400 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> um, did you try to just right-click on that line and delete it?
>
> That deletes the whole split transaction!
>

>> -derek
>>
>> Quoting Robert Heller <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> > Refer to the screenshot at the URL:
>> >
>> > http://www.deepsoft.com/split.png
>> >
>> > Due to a small math error, I ended up with a extra imbalance.  After
>> > fixing it, I then ended up with a 'blank' imbalance transaction.  How
>> > do I get rid of this?  Do I have to completely delete the split and
>> > re-enter it from scratch?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
>> > Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
>> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
>> > [hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
> [hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Re: Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

Derek Atkins
You forgot to CC gnucash-user....

Quoting Robert Heller <[hidden email]>:

> At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:52:26 -0400 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Works fine for me.  The menu item is labeled "Delete Transaction"
>> but it will just delete the split.  Perhaps we should try harder to
>> change the context menu item from "Delete Transaction" to "Delete Split"
>> in this case...  but no, it does not delete the whole transaction.
>>
>> I just verified this myself, so, I'm afraid that you are confused.
>
> Or maybe my GnuCash install is confused.

Or.... which register are you using?  It wont let you delete the split
tied to the current register.  So if you're trying from the Imbalance
account, that's your problem.   Open a different register and do it
from there.

-derek

At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:37:35 -0400 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You forgot to CC gnucash-user....
>
> Quoting Robert Heller <[hidden email]>:
>
> > At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:52:26 -0400 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Works fine for me.  The menu item is labeled "Delete Transaction"
> >> but it will just delete the split.  Perhaps we should try harder to
> >> change the context menu item from "Delete Transaction" to "Delete Split"
> >> in this case...  but no, it does not delete the whole transaction.
> >>
> >> I just verified this myself, so, I'm afraid that you are confused.
> >
> > Or maybe my GnuCash install is confused.
>
> Or.... which register are you using?  It wont let you delete the split
> tied to the current register.  So if you're trying from the Imbalance
> account, that's your problem.   Open a different register and do it
> from there.

I am doing it from an account other than the Imbalance account
(actually I also tried it there and got an error popup telling me I
can't do that [which I understood!]).

So here is *exactly* what I am doing, step by step:

1) click on the split, highlighting it.

2) Select 'Split' on the toolbar, which opens the split lines.

3a) If I leave the original line highlighted (main transaction line)
and right click on the 'offending' line and select "Delete
Transaction", I get a warning dialog, which if I accept, causes the
*whole* transaction to vanish, including a second copy of the split. For
some reason GnuCash is creating two transactions for these splits, which
are locked together.  One transaction deposits the PayPal cash back and
the other withdraws the actual expenditure, otherwise the two
transactions are identical.

OR

3b) If I highlight the offending line (selecting with the left button)
and then right click on it and select "Delete Transaction", nothing at
all happens.

> -derek
>
> > If I highlight the main transaction line (the top one) and right click
> > on the bogus line and select 'delete transaction' the I get a dialog
> > box warning me about deleting the transaction and if I accecpt, the
> > whole transaction is deleted.  If I highlight just the line I want to
> > delete, the delete transaction menu item does nothing at all (no popups
> > or anything).  In *both* cases I am right clicking on the line I want
> > to delete.
> >
> > I am running GnuCash 2.0.1, installed from RPMs on a CentOS 4.3 system.
> > RPMs downloaded from under http://people.redhat.com/notting/gnucash/2.0/
> > (RHEL 4 RPMS):
> >
> > sauron.deepsoft.com% dir /extra/gnucash-2.0.1-rpms/
> > aqbanking-2.1.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
> > gnucash-2.0.1-4.rhel4.i386.rpm
> > guile-1.6.7-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
> > gwenhywfar-2.3.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
> > libofx-0.8.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
> > perl-Finance-Quote-1.11-1.rhel4.noarch.rpm
> > perl-HTML-TableExtract-2.07-1.rhel4.noarch.rpm
> >
> > Oh, I am NOT running Gnome OR KDE, if that makes any difference...
> >

> >> -derek

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
> > [hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
[hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

Derek Atkins
Quoting Robert Heller <[hidden email]>:

>> Or.... which register are you using?  It wont let you delete the split
>> tied to the current register.  So if you're trying from the Imbalance
>> account, that's your problem.   Open a different register and do it
>> from there.
>
> I am doing it from an account other than the Imbalance account
> (actually I also tried it there and got an error popup telling me I
> can't do that [which I understood!]).
>
> So here is *exactly* what I am doing, step by step:

Okay..

> 1) click on the split, highlighting it.

I presume you mean "click on the Transaction..."

> 2) Select 'Split' on the toolbar, which opens the split lines.

Okay, with you so far.

> 3a) If I leave the original line highlighted (main transaction line)
> and right click on the 'offending' line and select "Delete
> Transaction", I get a warning dialog, which if I accept, causes the
> *whole* transaction to vanish, including a second copy of the split. For
> some reason GnuCash is creating two transactions for these splits, which
> are locked together.  One transaction deposits the PayPal cash back and
> the other withdraws the actual expenditure, otherwise the two
> transactions are identical.

Yeah, the right click doesn't change the focus, so in this case the
"Delete Transaction" really means "Delete Transaction".   Also, gnucash
is not creating two transactions -- it's ONE transaction that happens to
have TWO SPLITS in the current account.  Notice the "Paypal Debit" for $11.06
and then "Paypal Debit" for -$10.95.  That's why it shows up twice.

The register view shows you the transactions associated with EACH SPLIT
into the account.   If you have a transaction with multiple splits into
an account then the account register will show you that same transaction
multiple times, once for each split in the account.

There's an open RFE to merge multiple splits from one transaction into a
single display line in basic-ledger mode.

> OR
>
> 3b) If I highlight the offending line (selecting with the left button)
> and then right click on it and select "Delete Transaction", nothing at
> all happens.

When I do this it pops up a dialog that says:

  "Delete the split '(no memo)' from the Transaction 'Test'"

and when I click [Delete Split] it goes away.  This happens properly for
me both in SVN Trunk and the 2.0 branch.   I haven't tried the actual 2.0.1
release because I dont have a build of the tarball handy to test.  But I
can say that following your instructions it works for me.

I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.  I can't reproduce your
problem.

At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:30:26 -0400 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Robert Heller <[hidden email]>:
>
> >> Or.... which register are you using?  It wont let you delete the split
> >> tied to the current register.  So if you're trying from the Imbalance
> >> account, that's your problem.   Open a different register and do it
> >> from there.
> >
> > I am doing it from an account other than the Imbalance account
> > (actually I also tried it there and got an error popup telling me I
> > can't do that [which I understood!]).
> >
> > So here is *exactly* what I am doing, step by step:
>
> Okay..
>
> > 1) click on the split, highlighting it.
>
> I presume you mean "click on the Transaction..."
>
> > 2) Select 'Split' on the toolbar, which opens the split lines.
>
> Okay, with you so far.
>
> > 3a) If I leave the original line highlighted (main transaction line)
> > and right click on the 'offending' line and select "Delete
> > Transaction", I get a warning dialog, which if I accept, causes the
> > *whole* transaction to vanish, including a second copy of the split. For
> > some reason GnuCash is creating two transactions for these splits, which
> > are locked together.  One transaction deposits the PayPal cash back and
> > the other withdraws the actual expenditure, otherwise the two
> > transactions are identical.
>
> Yeah, the right click doesn't change the focus, so in this case the
> "Delete Transaction" really means "Delete Transaction".   Also, gnucash
> is not creating two transactions -- it's ONE transaction that happens to
> have TWO SPLITS in the current account.  Notice the "Paypal Debit" for $11.06
> and then "Paypal Debit" for -$10.95.  That's why it shows up twice.
>
> The register view shows you the transactions associated with EACH SPLIT
> into the account.   If you have a transaction with multiple splits into
> an account then the account register will show you that same transaction
> multiple times, once for each split in the account.

Yes, this actually does make sense.

> There's an open RFE to merge multiple splits from one transaction into a
> single display line in basic-ledger mode.
>
> > OR
> >
> > 3b) If I highlight the offending line (selecting with the left button)
> > and then right click on it and select "Delete Transaction", nothing at
> > all happens.
>
> When I do this it pops up a dialog that says:
>
>   "Delete the split '(no memo)' from the Transaction 'Test'"
>
> and when I click [Delete Split] it goes away.  This happens properly for
> me both in SVN Trunk and the 2.0 branch.   I haven't tried the actual 2.0.1
> release because I dont have a build of the tarball handy to test.  But I
> can say that following your instructions it works for me.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.  I can't reproduce your
> problem.

OK, it *sounds* like something is broken somehow in the 2.0.1 release.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
[hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

Dan Black-2
On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 12:50 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> > > I am doing it from an account other than the Imbalance account
> > > (actually I also tried it there and got an error popup telling me I
> > > can't do that [which I understood!]).
> > >
> > > So here is *exactly* what I am doing, step by step:
> >
> > Okay..
> >
> > > 1) click on the split, highlighting it.
> >
> > I presume you mean "click on the Transaction..."
> >
> > > 2) Select 'Split' on the toolbar, which opens the split lines.
> >
> > Okay, with you so far.
> >
> > > 3a) If I leave the original line highlighted (main transaction line)
> > > and right click on the 'offending' line and select "Delete
> > > Transaction", I get a warning dialog, which if I accept, causes the
> > > *whole* transaction to vanish, including a second copy of the split. For
> > > some reason GnuCash is creating two transactions for these splits, which
> > > are locked together.  One transaction deposits the PayPal cash back and
> > > the other withdraws the actual expenditure, otherwise the two
> > > transactions are identical.
> >
> > Yeah, the right click doesn't change the focus, so in this case the
> > "Delete Transaction" really means "Delete Transaction".   Also, gnucash
> > is not creating two transactions -- it's ONE transaction that happens to
> > have TWO SPLITS in the current account.  Notice the "Paypal Debit" for $11.06
> > and then "Paypal Debit" for -$10.95.  That's why it shows up twice.
> >
> > The register view shows you the transactions associated with EACH SPLIT
> > into the account.   If you have a transaction with multiple splits into
> > an account then the account register will show you that same transaction
> > multiple times, once for each split in the account.
>
> Yes, this actually does make sense.
>

> > There's an open RFE to merge multiple splits from one transaction into a
> > single display line in basic-ledger mode.
> >
> > > OR
> > >
> > > 3b) If I highlight the offending line (selecting with the left button)
> > > and then right click on it and select "Delete Transaction", nothing at
> > > all happens.
> >
> > When I do this it pops up a dialog that says:
> >
> >   "Delete the split '(no memo)' from the Transaction 'Test'"
> >
> > and when I click [Delete Split] it goes away.  This happens properly for
> > me both in SVN Trunk and the 2.0 branch.   I haven't tried the actual 2.0.1
> > release because I dont have a build of the tarball handy to test.  But I
> > can say that following your instructions it works for me.
> >
> > I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.  I can't reproduce your
> > problem.
>
> OK, it *sounds* like something is broken somehow in the 2.0.1 release.

I am running 2.0.1 and it works just as Derek described.  Have you
possibly in the past, checked the box on the popup about "Remember and
Don't ask me again"?

Dan

At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:56:16 -0400 (EDT) "Josh Sled" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, September 21, 2006 10:25 am, Robert Heller wrote:
> > Due to a small math error, I ended up with a extra imbalance.  After
> > fixing it, I then ended up with a 'blank' imbalance transaction.  How
> > do I get rid of this?  Do I have to completely delete the split and
> > re-enter it from scratch?
>
> If you perfer to stay on the keyboard (rather than using the mouse, which
> I try to avoid if I can), then just deleting the rest of the fields of the
> split then tab'ing out of the split should remove it.  Specifically, the
> transfer-account column and the credit/debit columns must be clear of
> values.  Generally moving out of the split, maybe with arrows or enter
> should have the same effect.

Everything is clear except the account name.  I havn't tried clearing
the transfer-account column (did not know that that was even possible),
but clearing it does work!  Thanks.  There is still something wrong with
the right-click menu though, at least with the 2.0.1 RHEL4 RPMS...

At Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:31:02 -0400 Dan Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 12:50 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> > > Okay..

> > > I presume you mean "click on the Transaction..."

> > > Okay, with you so far.

> > > Yeah, the right click doesn't change the focus, so in this case the
> > > "Delete Transaction" really means "Delete Transaction".   Also, gnucash
> > > is not creating two transactions -- it's ONE transaction that happens to
> > > have TWO SPLITS in the current account.  Notice the "Paypal Debit" for $11.06
> > > and then "Paypal Debit" for -$10.95.  That's why it shows up twice.
> > >
> > > The register view shows you the transactions associated with EACH SPLIT
> > > into the account.   If you have a transaction with multiple splits into
> > > an account then the account register will show you that same transaction
> > > multiple times, once for each split in the account.
> >
> > Yes, this actually does make sense.
> >

> > > There's an open RFE to merge multiple splits from one transaction into a
> > > single display line in basic-ledger mode.

> > > When I do this it pops up a dialog that says:
> > >
> > >   "Delete the split '(no memo)' from the Transaction 'Test'"
> > >
> > > and when I click [Delete Split] it goes away.  This happens properly for
> > > me both in SVN Trunk and the 2.0 branch.   I haven't tried the actual 2.0.1
> > > release because I dont have a build of the tarball handy to test.  But I
> > > can say that following your instructions it works for me.
> > >
> > > I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.  I can't reproduce your
> > > problem.
> >
> > OK, it *sounds* like something is broken somehow in the 2.0.1 release.
>
> I am running 2.0.1 and it works just as Derek described.  Have you
> possibly in the past, checked the box on the popup about "Remember and
> Don't ask me again"?

I don't think so.  If I did, how would I undo it?

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
[hidden email]       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: Help -- extra (blank) transaction in a split!

David Hampton-2
On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 16:02 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> I don't think so.  If I did, how would I undo it?

Actions -> Reset Warnings