Gtk3

Robert Fewell-2
Hi,

I was browsing the IRC logs and Geert mentioned his gtk3 branch, yes I have
pulled from there and recently updated my local version which was built
successfully.
I tend not to fiddle where other people are working as I would no doubt
just get in the way or slow down their efforts.

If you would like me to look at some thing, just ask and I will have a
look, been looking at some schedule bugs but they can wait...

What version of Gtk3 are these changes aimed at, my gtk3 development VM is
on 3.20.9 ?

Regards,
  Bob

Re: Gtk3

John Ralls-2

> On Jun 5, 2017, at 3:19 AM, Robert Fewell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was browsing the IRC logs and Geert mentioned his gtk3 branch, yes I have
> pulled from there and recently updated my local version which was built
> successfully.
> I tend not to fiddle where other people are working as I would no doubt
> just get in the way or slow down their efforts.
>
> If you would like me to look at some thing, just ask and I will have a
> look, been looking at some schedule bugs but they can wait...
>
> What version of Gtk3 are these changes aimed at, my gtk3 development VM is
> on 3.20.9 ?

I think we're looking at requiring 3.8 or 3.10--whichever introduces css theming.

Geert's been pretty busy lately and hasn't touched the branch in 6 weeks, so no worries about stepping on him. I'm still struggling with getting the MinGW64 build to work, so I'm not in the GUI code at all, and we're both going to have to shift gears shortly to getting 2.6.17 released.

In that IRC conversation he mentioned a couple of dialogs with layout issues; you could start with those or just go through the program looking for places where something isn't quite right.

Re: Gtk3

On maandag 5 juni 2017 12:19:24 CEST Robert Fewell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was browsing the IRC logs and Geert mentioned his gtk3 branch, yes I have
> pulled from there and recently updated my local version which was built
> successfully.
> I tend not to fiddle where other people are working as I would no doubt
> just get in the way or slow down their efforts.
>
> If you would like me to look at some thing, just ask and I will have a
> look, been looking at some schedule bugs but they can wait...
>
> What version of Gtk3 are these changes aimed at, my gtk3 development VM is
> on 3.20.9 ?

Hi Bob,

I'm happy you're willing to jump in as well.

As John already mentioned (and you could have read on IRC) I'm currently
pretty occupied outside of the gnucash project.

The Gtk3 version to target is 3.10. This is the most recent version on Ubuntu
Trusty, which is the base OS for our Travis builds. Any other build platform
we care about comes with a more recent version of gtk3.

Feel free to clone my branch and make PR's against it.

So far I've been mostly focused on
1. getting it to build and run (which should be accomplished)
2. Tweak the the register code to make it render properly

For part 1 I needed do replace several Gtk2 functions that have been removed
from Gtk3. The code wouldn't build otherwise. I only did minimal changes to
get it to run. With that I mean I only replaced removed functions, not
deprecated API.

So here are a few opportunities to jump in:
- The rendering of the custom calendar in the SX editor is wrong. I think the
background isn't rendered, but there may be other things going on there.
- Tab titles aren't rendering correctly. They are being rendered as "..."
instead of the full (or partially elipsized) text. I suspect this has to do
with Gtk3 new paradigm of minimal vs natural width, which we're not handling
properly for the tab titles.
- There may still be other visual issues I haven't spotted yet. If discovered
these should get priority over the next point IMO.
- There are lots of deprecated API warnings. Unfortunately Gtk3 has been
moving target so there are new deprecations in almost every Gtk3 release. I
propose to focus on those function calls which have been deprecated in Gtk3
3.10 or earlier.

I will continue to focus on the register code and will communicate my progress
when I get to it.

Re: Gtk3

Robert Fewell-2
OK, I have been tapping away with the following progress...
I downgraded a clone VM to Gtk+3.10.8 which successfully builds and runs
but I seem to of lost some stock images, not an issue as I can temporary
replace them
 but I can use it to make sure I have not included any newer functions.

In the original VM I have built and made some changes which can be seen at My
GitHub <https://github.com/Bob-IT/gnucash/tree/gtk3>
I have hopefully done the following but as normal there may be some
tweaks...
Replaced RC file with CSS file, name may need changing
The dense calendar now renders with a white background but can be set with
CSS
Changed the way tabs are done and now display correctly and fixed the width
updates
Changed most widgets that had a horizontal / vertical function to the new
equivalents.  These were simple function swaps I had in existing patch file.

I was going to look at the account edit dialogue but wanted to ask how much
do you want the glade files changed ?
Change the version and replace deprecated widgets ?

There are some further deprecated widgets that I will change if able to as
I come across them.

Bob

On 6 June 2017 at 09:54, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On maandag 5 juni 2017 12:19:24 CEST Robert Fewell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was browsing the IRC logs and Geert mentioned his gtk3 branch, yes I
> have
> > pulled from there and recently updated my local version which was built
> > successfully.
> > I tend not to fiddle where other people are working as I would no doubt
> > just get in the way or slow down their efforts.
> >
> > If you would like me to look at some thing, just ask and I will have a
> > look, been looking at some schedule bugs but they can wait...
> >
> > What version of Gtk3 are these changes aimed at, my gtk3 development VM
> is
> > on 3.20.9 ?
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I'm happy you're willing to jump in as well.
>
> As John already mentioned (and you could have read on IRC) I'm currently
> pretty occupied outside of the gnucash project.
>
> The Gtk3 version to target is 3.10. This is the most recent version on
> Ubuntu
> Trusty, which is the base OS for our Travis builds. Any other build
> platform
> we care about comes with a more recent version of gtk3.
>
> Feel free to clone my branch and make PR's against it.
>
> So far I've been mostly focused on
> 1. getting it to build and run (which should be accomplished)
> 2. Tweak the the register code to make it render properly
>
> For part 1 I needed do replace several Gtk2 functions that have been
> removed
> from Gtk3. The code wouldn't build otherwise. I only did minimal changes to
> get it to run. With that I mean I only replaced removed functions, not
> deprecated API.
>
> So here are a few opportunities to jump in:
> - The rendering of the custom calendar in the SX editor is wrong. I think
> the
> background isn't rendered, but there may be other things going on there.
> - Tab titles aren't rendering correctly. They are being rendered as "..."
> instead of the full (or partially elipsized) text. I suspect this has to do
> with Gtk3 new paradigm of minimal vs natural width, which we're not
> handling
> properly for the tab titles.
> - There may still be other visual issues I haven't spotted yet. If
> discovered
> these should get priority over the next point IMO.
> - There are lots of deprecated API warnings. Unfortunately Gtk3 has been
> moving target so there are new deprecations in almost every Gtk3 release. I
> propose to focus on those function calls which have been deprecated in Gtk3
> 3.10 or earlier.
>
> I will continue to focus on the register code and will communicate my
> progress
> when I get to it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: Gtk3

John Ralls-2
Bob,

Super! Thanks!

The treatment of stock images was something of a moving target in Gtk3 so you may have to do some config/cmake work to figure out what to use and then conditionally compile based the result. We do need to look good on 3.10-3.22 and everything in between. I think complaints about that were one of the motivations for the new release plan for 4.x.

Change the Glade files as much as you think appropriate and have time for.