Gnucash2 questions

Phil Longstaff-2
1) Has anyone gotten G2 to work with KDE3.4?  I just installed SuSE9.3, built
G2 but it crashes when I run it whenever I try to open a ledger or the "since
last run" scheduled transactions.  The stack is always the same (attached).
I notice it uses a SO called libqtengine.so to try to use the QT theme.  The
problem might be there.  G2 runs fine if I login using the Gnome desktop.

2) Is there an up-to-date TODO list?  I'd like to help with the port but don't
know what still needs to be done.  I've thought of a few projects (resurrect
swig bindings, try out chicken scheme-to-C translator), but they don't seem
as urgent as getting the port done.

Phil

gnucash2-trace (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Gnucash2 questions

Brian-5
On Sat, 2005-16-07 at 16:41 -0400, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> 1) Has anyone gotten G2 to work with KDE3.4?  I just installed SuSE9.3, built
> G2 but it crashes when I run it whenever I try to open a ledger or the "since
> last run" scheduled transactions.  The stack is always the same (attached).
> I notice it uses a SO called libqtengine.so to try to use the QT theme.  The
> problem might be there.  G2 runs fine if I login using the Gnome desktop.

I don't know that much of G2, but for another program I have been
developing some problems have been solved for KDE users by installing
the gtk-qt-theme (or something like that).

> 2) Is there an up-to-date TODO list?  I'd like to help with the port but don't
> know what still needs to be done.  I've thought of a few projects (resurrect
> swig bindings, try out chicken scheme-to-C translator), but they don't seem
> as urgent as getting the port done.
>
> Phil

Re: Gnucash2 questions

Neil Williams-2
On Saturday 16 July 2005 9:41 pm, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> 1) Has anyone gotten G2 to work with KDE3.4?

1. You probably know already, but it's in the nature of CVS that it should
always build but isn't expected to always work. Making omelettes without
breaking eggs etc.

2. Have you tried under Gnome?

3. Have you tried gnucash --nofile ?

4. There are problems with the how business features relate to the engine that
I'm trying to fix but it's not done yet (and it's my busiest time of year for
paid employment which cuts down my code time). Try working with files that
don't refer to business objects.

5. I'm still on KDE 3.3.2 and G2 isn't running for me currently, it may not be
a KDE issue at all.

> 2) Is there an up-to-date TODO list?

GNOME2_STATUS ?

> I've thought of a few projects
> (resurrect swig bindings, try out chicken scheme-to-C translator), but they
> don't seem as urgent as getting the port done.

There was a thread here on language bindings, I assume you're referring to
this:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2005-July/013280.html

I don't want to rush the engine work so would it be preferable for me to
revert parts of the QOF_TYPE_COLLECT changes in the business objects and then
replace them later? It's only the parameter type in the QofClass params that
needs changing to revert to previous operation. The full fix for this
message:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2005-July/013235.html
is taking longer than I'd hoped.

--

Neil Williams

Re: Gnucash2 questions

Josh Sled
On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 16:41 -0400, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> 1) Has anyone gotten G2 to work with KDE3.4?  I just installed SuSE9.3, built
> G2 but it crashes when I run it whenever I try to open a ledger or the "since
> last run" scheduled transactions.  The stack is always the same (attached).

The ledger should basically function.  I've not verified the
since-last-run stuff, and there may be other reasons it would fail,
depending on data.

> 2) Is there an up-to-date TODO list?  I'd like to help with the port but don't
> know what still needs to be done.

GNOME2_STATUS at the top level is authoritative for the port.

> I've thought of a few projects (resurrect
> swig bindings, try out chicken scheme-to-C translator), but they don't seem
> as urgent as getting the port done.

That's correct.

Scheme-to-C translator?  Sounds ... tricky.  But, certainly, post-2.0
I'd like to see scheme get seriously reduced.  If the tool works, then
it might help.

...jsled

--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: Gnucash2 questions

Christian Stimming
Hi Phil,

Am Samstag, 16. Juli 2005 22:41 schrieb Phil Longstaff:
> 1) Has anyone gotten G2 to work with KDE3.4?  I just installed SuSE9.3,
> built G2 but it crashes when I run it whenever I try to open a ledger or
> the "since last run" scheduled transactions.  The stack is always the same
> (attached). I notice it uses a SO called libqtengine.so to try to use the
> QT theme.  The problem might be there.  G2 runs fine if I login using the
> Gnome desktop.

actually I ran into the very same problem here on suse9.3. Gnucash crashes
each time a register is opened, and the backtrace locates the problem
somewhere in /opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/libqtengine.so . I upgraded
my gtk-qt-engine from suse9.3's version 0.6cvs20050229 to its current CVS
version (there is no newer released version available), but this didn't fix
the problem. So I tried to remove that package altogether, and voila, no more
crash. So removing the gtk-qt-engine is a temporary workaround for this
problem.

Christian