Gnucash wiki

A recent thread on a page in our wiki on lots raised the potential pitfall of
having draft pages in our wiki as rightfully pointed out by David T.

I don't consider me a wiki maintainer really though I have contributed to some
pages. This minor incident did get me thinking though. And I want to discuss
the following question with a broader audience:

What do we want our wiki to be ?

A few statistics [0] for those interested in contributing to this discussion:

1. The wiki currently has 221 real content pages [1] of varying quality and
usefulness.
2. In addition there are 310 additional related pages like redirects, talk
pages,...
3. There are 12 admins, of which only a handful is still active as far as I
know (and I didn't know *I* was one of them)
4. Looking at the content pages list, I find about 53 pages are ancient
release announcements or readme files for obsolete gnucash versions.

In its current form it's a mixed bag of all kinds of content
- pages attempting to guide contributors in helping out in different forms
- pages attempting to help users with common or less common issues
- reports of past events
- some of these pages are generic, others are platform dependent,...
- however most pages don't specify their intent clearly so in several cases
it's difficult to judge whether the page is for what you are looking for or
not
- some pages have current information, others are for historical interest only
- ...

So what do we want to achieve with the wiki ?
Do we manage to achieve it ?

I believe we would be beneficial find an answer to these questions so we can
more clearly guide the content creation in the wiki.

From what I see the wiki is currently rather chaotic. I realize wikis usually
are. However I think a wiki can be more. So a few first suggestions:

- At the very least the content that's there could do with some structuring
(again a concept not native to wikis), for example by making better use of
well thought out categories.

- Depending on the answer to my first question, I would also propose to drop
certain pages, to start with the obsolete announcements and README pages.

From there I'm very open to other suggestions to improve it. Please join in!

[0] Gathered from here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?
title=Special:AllPages&hideredirects=1

Re: Gnucash wiki

Geert Janssens-4
Oh, and probably important as well: while I am very interested in seeing
improvements to the wiki, I am not in a position to actually bring the change
about. I personally have enough to do as it is. So... if you care as well,
please seriously consider stepping up and offer a helping hand. Chance are
nothing will change otherwise :)

Thanks!

Geert

On donderdag 18 mei 2017 19:25:20 CEST Geert Janssens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A recent thread on a page in our wiki on lots raised the potential pitfall
> of having draft pages in our wiki as rightfully pointed out by David T.
>
> I don't consider me a wiki maintainer really though I have contributed to
> some pages. This minor incident did get me thinking though. And I want to
> discuss the following question with a broader audience:
>
> What do we want our wiki to be ?
>
> A few statistics [0] for those interested in contributing to this
> discussion:
>
> 1. The wiki currently has 221 real content pages [1] of varying quality and
> usefulness.
> 2. In addition there are 310 additional related pages like redirects, talk
> pages,...
> 3. There are 12 admins, of which only a handful is still active as far as I
> know (and I didn't know *I* was one of them)
> 4. Looking at the content pages list, I find about 53 pages are ancient
> release announcements or readme files for obsolete gnucash versions.
>
> In its current form it's a mixed bag of all kinds of content
> - pages attempting to guide contributors in helping out in different forms
> - pages attempting to help users with common or less common issues
> - reports of past events
> - some of these pages are generic, others are platform dependent,...
> - however most pages don't specify their intent clearly so in several cases
> it's difficult to judge whether the page is for what you are looking for or
> not
> - some pages have current information, others are for historical interest
> only - ...
>
> So what do we want to achieve with the wiki ?
> Do we manage to achieve it ?
>
> I believe we would be beneficial find an answer to these questions so we can
> more clearly guide the content creation in the wiki.
>
> From what I see the wiki is currently rather chaotic. I realize wikis
> usually are. However I think a wiki can be more. So a few first
> suggestions:
>
> - At the very least the content that's there could do with some structuring
> (again a concept not native to wikis), for example by making better use of
> well thought out categories.
>
> - Depending on the answer to my first question, I would also propose to drop
> certain pages, to start with the obsolete announcements and README pages.
>
> From there I'm very open to other suggestions to improve it. Please join in!
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> [0] Gathered from here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
> [1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?
> title=Special:AllPages&hideredirects=1

Re: Gnucash wiki

Buddha Buck
I just went and looked at the Wiki, to get an idea of what the task is.

I'm all for Wikis containing everything, as long as it is clearly
identified and organized. Currently, I agree that the Wiki doesn't meet
that standard. Even the front page is a "mixed bag" of content, and
could/should be organized better. As you point out, figuring out the
necessary organization is difficult.

I think that for starters the creation of a few templates that can be
dropped onto pages to help classify content and make it visible would help.
For instance, create a Template:Historical template which (a) adds the
article to the "Historical" category, and (b) displays a box at the top of
the page saying that the content of the page applies to a past version of
GnuCash and is not current documentation. Then Wiki editors can look at a
page (on, say, using lots for managing stock transactions) and drop in the
template so that future readers who stumble upon it can clearly see it's
probably not what they are looking for.

Based on the things you've noticed, I can suggest a few templates to make:

   - Template:Historical
   - Template:Version|vernum|endvernum  (for marking that a page is useful
   for GnuCash between versions vernum and endvernum, both optional).
   - Template:InDevelopment (for marking pages that refer to features that
   are in development, but haven't been released)
   - Template:Os|ostype (for marking pages with OS-specific information
   - Template:MarkedForDeletion

I can also see categories related to

   - Category:HowTo
   - Category:Development
   - Category:Documentation
   - Category:Announcement
   - Category:Events
   - Category:CanSomeoneElseLookAtThisPlease

221 content pages doesn't sound like a lot. I'd be willing to do some of
the work to set up the templates and categories (once we nail down what we
want) and start working through the pages and tagging them with categories
and templates.

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:25 PM Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>

> A recent thread on a page in our wiki on lots raised the potential pitfall
> of
> having draft pages in our wiki as rightfully pointed out by David T.
>
> I don't consider me a wiki maintainer really though I have contributed to
> some
> pages. This minor incident did get me thinking though. And I want to
> discuss
> the following question with a broader audience:
>
> What do we want our wiki to be ?
>
> A few statistics [0] for those interested in contributing to this
> discussion:
>
> 1. The wiki currently has 221 real content pages [1] of varying quality and
> usefulness.
> 2. In addition there are 310 additional related pages like redirects, talk
> pages,...
> 3. There are 12 admins, of which only a handful is still active as far as I
> know (and I didn't know *I* was one of them)
> 4. Looking at the content pages list, I find about 53 pages are ancient
> release announcements or readme files for obsolete gnucash versions.
>
> In its current form it's a mixed bag of all kinds of content
> - pages attempting to guide contributors in helping out in different forms
> - pages attempting to help users with common or less common issues
> - reports of past events
> - some of these pages are generic, others are platform dependent,...
> - however most pages don't specify their intent clearly so in several cases
> it's difficult to judge whether the page is for what you are looking for or
> not
> - some pages have current information, others are for historical interest
> only
> - ...
>
> So what do we want to achieve with the wiki ?
> Do we manage to achieve it ?
>
> I believe we would be beneficial find an answer to these questions so we
> can
> more clearly guide the content creation in the wiki.
>
> From what I see the wiki is currently rather chaotic. I realize wikis
> usually
> are. However I think a wiki can be more. So a few first suggestions:
>
> - At the very least the content that's there could do with some structuring
> (again a concept not native to wikis), for example by making better use of
> well thought out categories.
>
> - Depending on the answer to my first question, I would also propose to
> drop
> certain pages, to start with the obsolete announcements and README pages.
>
> From there I'm very open to other suggestions to improve it. Please join
> in!
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> [0] Gathered from here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
> [1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?
> title=Special:AllPages&hideredirects=1

Re: Gnucash wiki

Geert Janssens-4
Hi Buddha,

I didn't even know of the existence of templates. The ones you suggest are a
good start IMO.

As for Wiki's containing everything, I only follow up to "that is not readily
available elsewhere". In the latter case I would prefer to be pointed at the
proper source (for example to the Guide, or another external reference).

Let's see what others can still add...

On donderdag 18 mei 2017 20:12:52 CEST Buddha Buck wrote:

> [...]
> > - ...
> >
> > So what do we want to achieve with the wiki ?
> > Do we manage to achieve it ?
> >
> > I believe we would be beneficial find an answer to these questions so we
> > can
> > more clearly guide the content creation in the wiki.
> >
> > From what I see the wiki is currently rather chaotic. I realize wikis
> > usually
> > are. However I think a wiki can be more. So a few first suggestions:
> >
> > - At the very least the content that's there could do with some
> > structuring
> > (again a concept not native to wikis), for example by making better use of
> > well thought out categories.
> >
> > - Depending on the answer to my first question, I would also propose to
> > drop
> > certain pages, to start with the obsolete announcements and README pages.

GnuCash - Dev mailing list
Templates do sound like an improvement, although I would be concerned with some of these huge wiki pages (like the Documentation Update Instructions page) that the box will be at the top, and someone will link into the page such that the box wouldn’t show.

If you set up the templates or explained how to set them up and implement them, I would consider helping out. Can’t guarantee anything.

David

> [...]
>>> - ...
>>>
>>> So what do we want to achieve with the wiki ?
>>> Do we manage to achieve it ?
>>>
>>> I believe we would be beneficial find an answer to these questions so we
>>> can
>>> more clearly guide the content creation in the wiki.
>>>
>>> From what I see the wiki is currently rather chaotic. I realize wikis
>>> usually
>>> are. However I think a wiki can be more. So a few first suggestions:
>>>
>>> - At the very least the content that's there could do with some
>>> structuring
>>> (again a concept not native to wikis), for example by making better use of
>>> well thought out categories.
>>>
>>> - Depending on the answer to my first question, I would also propose to
>>> drop
>>> certain pages, to start with the obsolete announcements and README pages.

I will set up some templates after I get a login to the wiki. I have just
filed a request.

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 9:52 AM David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> that
> >>   are in development, but haven't been released)
> >>   - Template:Os|ostype (for marking pages with OS-specific information
> >>   - Template:MarkedForDeletion
> >>
> >> I can also see categories related to
> >>
> >>   - Category:HowTo
> >>   - Category:Development
> >>   - Category:Documentation
> >>   - Category:Announcement
> >>   - Category:Events
> >>   - Category:CanSomeoneElseLookAtThisPlease
> >>
> >> 221 content pages doesn't sound like a lot. I'd be willing to do some of
> >> the work to set up the templates and categories (once we nail down what
> we
> >> want) and start working through the pages and tagging them with
> categories
> >> and templates.
> >>

> >> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:25 PM Geert Janssens <

ChrisGood
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 18:52:27 +0500
> From: "David T." <[hidden email]>
> To: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Buddha Buck <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Gnucash wiki

The use of suggested categories & templates sounds good to me, if some-one
has the time to do it.

FixMe may be a better category than CanSomeoneElseLookAtThisPlease.

I'm not sure dropping pages is a good thing. While reducing noise when
searching is good, sometimes historical info is very useful to those without
a long GnuCash involvement.
What is considered an obsolete announcement - pre 2.4 or even older? A
consensus of obsolete would be helpful.

Geert, are the README pages you refer to mostly the ones for various
versions of MacOSX? I've no idea what versions of OSX are considered
obsolete.

I too have been confused by https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots
but there is a lot of good info and many useful possible future
enhancements.
If others think it worthwhile, I'll add some comments to things that may be
useful but are apparently not currently implemented. I investigated anything
I was unsure about when I was documenting Lots for the Guide.

I agree that information that is available elsewhere, can be linked to or
dropped from the wiki, while being very careful not to lose anything
possibly valuable.

Ooo... - I found http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Eclipse while searching the
wiki for info re Templates. Maybe this will spur me to move to Eclipse which
I have been putting off due to not wanting to learn yet another IDE.

Regards, Chris Good

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Gnucash wiki

John Ralls-2

> On May 19, 2017, at 5:07 PM, Chris Good <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Message: 7
>> Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 18:52:27 +0500
>> From: "David T." <[hidden email]>
>> To: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: Buddha Buck <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Gnucash wiki

> The use of suggested categories & templates sounds good to me, if some-one
> has the time to do it.
>
> FixMe may be a better category than CanSomeoneElseLookAtThisPlease.
>
> I'm not sure dropping pages is a good thing. While reducing noise when
> searching is good, sometimes historical info is very useful to those without
> a long GnuCash involvement.
> What is considered an obsolete announcement - pre 2.4 or even older? A
> consensus of obsolete would be helpful.
>
> Geert, are the README pages you refer to mostly the ones for various
> versions of MacOSX? I've no idea what versions of OSX are considered
> obsolete.
>
> I too have been confused by https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_of_Lots
> but there is a lot of good info and many useful possible future
> enhancements.
> If others think it worthwhile, I'll add some comments to things that may be
> useful but are apparently not currently implemented. I investigated anything
> I was unsure about when I was documenting Lots for the Guide.
>
> I agree that information that is available elsewhere, can be linked to or
> dropped from the wiki, while being very careful not to lose anything
> possibly valuable.
>
> Ooo... - I found http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Eclipse while searching the
> wiki for info re Templates. Maybe this will spur me to move to Eclipse which
> I have been putting off due to not wanting to learn yet another IDE.

Searching "announcement*" produces pages announcing 1.9.0 through 2.2.1  I think it would be safe to delete the lot of them, but I suppose we could attach a template that flags them as "ancient history".

*readme* search indeed turns up the OSX Readme pages that aren't quite as old, the most recent being for 2.4.7, but I'd think removing them would be safe too.  The content is duplicated in a file in the respective disk images so the information will still be available to anyone who actually needs it.

Re: Gnucash wiki

doncram
Hi all.  I am interested in helping develop the wiki, also.  I am new to
GnuCash but experienced in accounting and in editing in the English
language Wikipedia.  The categories and templates suggested sound
sensible.  Like Buddha Buck, I have just requested an account on the
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash wiki.

--Doncram

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:49 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On May 19, 2017, at 5:07 PM, Chris Good <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Message: 7
> >> Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 18:52:27 +0500
> >> From: "David T." <[hidden email]>
> >> To: Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> >> Cc: Buddha Buck <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> >> Subject: Re: Gnucash wiki

> > The use of suggested categories & templates sounds good to me, if
> some-one
> > has the time to do it.
> >
> > FixMe may be a better category than CanSomeoneElseLookAtThisPlease.
> >
> > I'm not sure dropping pages is a good thing. While reducing noise when
> > searching is good, sometimes historical info is very useful to those
> without
> > a long GnuCash involvement.
> > What is considered an obsolete announcement - pre 2.4 or even older? A
> > consensus of obsolete would be helpful.
> >
> > Geert, are the README pages you refer to mostly the ones for various
> > versions of MacOSX? I've no idea what versions of OSX are considered
> > obsolete.
> >
> > I too have been confused by https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/
> Concept_of_Lots
> > but there is a lot of good info and many useful possible future
> > enhancements.
> > If others think it worthwhile, I'll add some comments to things that may
> be
> > useful but are apparently not currently implemented. I investigated
> anything
> > I was unsure about when I was documenting Lots for the Guide.
> >
> > I agree that information that is available elsewhere, can be linked to or
> > dropped from the wiki, while being very careful not to lose anything
> > possibly valuable.
> >
> > Ooo... - I found http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Eclipse while searching
> the
> > wiki for info re Templates. Maybe this will spur me to move to Eclipse
> which
> > I have been putting off due to not wanting to learn yet another IDE.
>
> Searching "announcement*" produces pages announcing 1.9.0 through 2.2.1  I
> think it would be safe to delete the lot of them, but I suppose we could
> attach a template that flags them as "ancient history".
>
> *readme* search indeed turns up the OSX Readme pages that aren't quite as
> old, the most recent being for 2.4.7, but I'd think removing them would be
> safe too.  The content is duplicated in a file in the respective disk
> images so the information will still be available to anyone who actually
> needs it.

Re: Gnucash wiki

John Ralls-2

> On May 21, 2017, at 1:39 PM, doncram <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all.  I am interested in helping develop the wiki, also.  I am new to GnuCash but experienced in accounting and in editing in the English language Wikipedia.  The categories and templates suggested sound sensible.  Like Buddha Buck, I have just requested an account on the http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GnuCash> wiki.

And both of you are in.