Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

Bindiya Maharjan

 Hi all ,

I am trying to connect to remote database server without any success. Do you guys have any steps or guide for this.

Appreciate your help.

  Thanks

Re: Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

Colin Law
What sort of database is it (mysql or whatever)? Can you access it by
command line utilities on the PC or a simple GUI app? If so which?

Colin

On 3 August 2017 at 07:14, Bindiya Maharjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi all ,
>

> I am trying to connect to remote database server without any success. Do you guys have any steps or guide for this.
>

> Appreciate your help.
>

>   Thanks

Re: Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

Bindiya Maharjan

 It's mysql. I want to connect gnucash to MySQL database. I do not know how to using command line.

> On Aug 3, 2017 at 12:26 PM,  <Colin Law (mailto:[hidden email])>  wrote:
>

>  What sort of database is it (mysql or whatever)? Can you access it by command line utilities on the PC or a simple GUI app? If so which? Colin On 3 August 2017 at 07:14, Bindiya Maharjan wrote:  >   >   >   >  Hi all ,  >   >   >   >  I am trying to connect to remote database server without any success. Do you guys have any steps or guide for this.  >   >   >   >  Appreciate your help.  >   >   >   >  Thanks  >   >   >   >   >   >   >   >  _______________________________________________  >  gnucash-user mailing list  >  [hidden email]  >  https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user  >  -----  >  Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.  >  You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

Maf. King
On Thursday, 3 August 2017 07:14:44 BST Bindiya Maharjan wrote:
>  Hi all ,
>

> I am trying to connect to remote database server without any success. Do you
> guys have any steps or guide for this.

Hi,

what have you tried, and how does it fail?
Which GC version and OS might be useful too.

from the command line, something like

mysql -u username -p password -h server-hostname

would be a good start point for debugging the connection. ( try man mysql or
mysql --help for more options....)

Maf.

Re: Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

Having been a 1and1 customer before, I can't imagine how you would set it up to work with Gnucash directly. Especially if you aren't familiar with the command line. I admit that my account with them was a basic one, so it may be that your account has better features. But still...

If you want to store your data in the cloud, it is much more manageable by using Dropbox, which uses a local folder to mirror your cloud files. This gives you the benefit of a local file system but with cloud features as well.

I would also suggest you reconsider your choice to use the database back end, given your statement about the command line. It does take more technical savvy to use, and doesn't gain much benefit at this time.

David

On August 3, 2017, at 3:15 AM, Bindiya Maharjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

 It's mysql. I want to connect gnucash to MySQL database. I do not know how to using command line.

> On Aug 3, 2017 at 12:26 PM,  <Colin Law (mailto:[hidden email])>  wrote:
>

>  What sort of database is it (mysql or whatever)? Can you access it by command line utilities on the PC or a simple GUI app? If so which? Colin On 3 August 2017 at 07:14, Bindiya Maharjan wrote:  >   >   >   >  Hi all ,  >   >   >   >  I am trying to connect to remote database server without any success. Do you guys have any steps or guide for this.  >   >   >   >  Appreciate your help.  >   >   >   >  Thanks  >   >   >   >   >   >   >   >  _______________________________________________  >  gnucash-user mailing list  >  [hidden email]  >  https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user  >  -----  >  Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.  >  You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 8:14 AM, Bindiya Maharjan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi all ,
>

> I am trying to connect to remote database server without any success. Do you guys have any steps or guide for this.
>

> Appreciate your help.

Sorry, no, we're not able to offer database administration support. It's the responsibility of the user to have a qualified database administrator on hand to administer the database server. Users who aren't able to meet that requirement should use either of the file-based backends (XML or SQLite3).

Re: Gnucash connect to remote 1and1 database server

Plutocrat
Looks like you'd have to enable remote access first:

<https://help.1and1.com/servers-c37684/dedicated-server-linux-c37687/administration-c37694/enable-remote-connections-to-mysql-a781586.html>

After you've done that (process includes checking connection with telnet), then you should be able to add the database to Gnucash using the hostname (eg db987987686.1and1.com) given in your mysql database connection settings. And obviously user, password, port.

Some problems:
1) Your IP address will probably change over time. You'd have to update the remote access to cope with this
2) The connection is not encrypted by default. So you'd be passing logins, passwords and queries across the internet in plain text. Not good.

P.