Gnucash android app suggestion

dbemowsk
I suppose this could be something to add to the desktop app also.

It would be nice if there was a way with my phone to take a picture of a receipt and attach it to a transaction.  That way all of the necessary information I need is there for tax time.  It would also make it easier to sort the receipts and print out a list of stuff for the tax preparer.  The images could be stored in a folder in dropbox.  They would also then need to be accessible from the home desktop computer.

Re: Gnucash android app suggestion

WM-2
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 04:38:31 <[hidden email]>
dbemowsk <[hidden email]>

>I suppose this could be something to add to the desktop app also.
>
>It would be nice if there was a way with my phone to take a picture of a
>receipt and attach it to a transaction.  That way all of the necessary
>information I need is there for tax time.  It would also make it easier to
>sort the receipts and print out a list of stuff for the tax preparer.  The
>images could be stored in a folder in dropbox.  They would also then need to
>be accessible from the home desktop computer.

I can't recall when this was added and I'm presuming you aren't using a
recent version but you can already Associate a file or url with a
transaction.

If you want something more specific you should approach the person in
charge of the gnc android app, more here

https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android/blob/master/README.md

or in the dev list.

--
Wm...

Re: Gnucash android app suggestion

Michael DeBusk-2
On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM, dbemowsk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be nice if there was a way with my phone to take a picture of a
> receipt and attach it to a transaction.

This has been suggested before, and while I don't recall what the
barrier to implementation is (probably the XML file format, as it'd be
straightforward to add to a database) I do recall one suggested
workaround: using the Memo field or Notes field to include a URI to
the file.

--
Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

Re: Gnucash android app suggestion

dbemowsk
Thanks Michael.  It appears though that I need to upgrade my desktop version first.  I am running Fedora 18 currently and yum only has that up to 2.4.13.  If I don't have the functionality on my desktop, it would be somewhat pointless on my phone.  Once I upgrade my OS, I will get my desktop to 2.6, and then I will be able to explore that further.

Dan Bemowski

On Thu, 2015-07-02 at 14:53 -0700, Michael DeBusk-2 [via GnuCash] wrote:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM, dbemowsk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be nice if there was a way with my phone to take a picture of a
> receipt and attach it to a transaction.

This has been suggested before, and while I don't recall what the
barrier to implementation is (probably the XML file format, as it'd be
straightforward to add to a database) I do recall one suggested
workaround: using the Memo field or Notes field to include a URI to
the file.

--
Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Gnucash-android-app-suggestion-tp4679146p4679163.html
To unsubscribe from Gnucash android app suggestion, click here.
NAML

Re: Gnucash android app suggestion

Dave H
You can already right click a transaction in the desktop version (not the
Android app) and Associate File with Transaction OR Associate Location with
Transaction to it .....

Cheers Dave H.

On 3 July 2015 at 08:12, Michael DeBusk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM, dbemowsk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if there was a way with my phone to take a picture of a
> > receipt and attach it to a transaction.
>
> This has been suggested before, and while I don't recall what the
> barrier to implementation is (probably the XML file format, as it'd be
> straightforward to add to a database) I do recall one suggested
> workaround: using the Memo field or Notes field to include a URI to
> the file.
>

> --
> Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
> Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

Re: Gnucash android app suggestion

dbemowsk
Dave,

I was in the IRC chat room today and someone pointed that out.  My issue is that my desktop is running Fedora18 and only has gnucash 2.4.13, which doesn't have this feature.  I will be upgrading my desktop soon to Fedora 22 and will install the latest version then.

Thanks for the reply though.

Dan Bemowski

On Thu, 2015-07-02 at 15:02 -0700, Dave H [via GnuCash] wrote:
You can already right click a transaction in the desktop version (not the
Android app) and Associate File with Transaction OR Associate Location with
Transaction to it .....

Cheers Dave H.

On 3 July 2015 at 08:12, Michael DeBusk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM, dbemowsk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if there was a way with my phone to take a picture of a
> > receipt and attach it to a transaction.
>
> This has been suggested before, and while I don't recall what the
> barrier to implementation is (probably the XML file format, as it'd be
> straightforward to add to a database) I do recall one suggested
> workaround: using the Memo field or Notes field to include a URI to
> the file.
>

> --
> Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
> Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Gnucash-android-app-suggestion-tp4679146p4679166.html
To unsubscribe from Gnucash android app suggestion, click here.
NAML

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Dave H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can already right click a transaction in the desktop version (not the
> Android app) and Associate File with Transaction OR Associate Location with
> Transaction to it .....

Yes! I remember now. Thank you.