Gnucash and inventory

Marc Paré
I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
Gnucash ... or any suggestions?

Cheers

Marc

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Brian Dolbec
On Tue, 2005-13-12 at 03:22 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
> I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
> using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
> Gnucash ... or any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

No, There isn't an inventory module.

How large an inventory?
What info do you need to track?

There are others interested in an inventory module, so it wouldn't hurt
to get your requirements listed here for future development.

--
Brian Dolbec <[hidden email]>

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Andrew Sackville-West

Marc Paré wrote:
> I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
> using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
> Gnucash ... or any suggestions?

As Brian said, what kind of inventory, how large etc?

There are definitely ways to work around it. If you are simply dealing
with the cash value of inventory on hand, that is easily tracked in an
asset account. If you want to actually count widgets on hand and store
that number, maybe there is a way to fudge it using stocks or exchange
rates or something like that. For example, you could make up a stock for
your widgets called "widget" (I know creative). Then when you purchase
more widgets you can treat it like a stock purchase. When you sell
widgets, (for more than you buy them I hope) then split the sales
transaction with part of it going to reduce you inventory and part of it
to income? I am only guessing here as I don't do anything like this in
my books.

> Cheers
>
> Marc

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Brian Dolbec
On Tue, 2005-13-12 at 10:26 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Marc Paré wrote:
> > I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
> > using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
> > Gnucash ... or any suggestions?
>
> As Brian said, what kind of inventory, how large etc?
>
> There are definitely ways to work around it. If you are simply dealing
> with the cash value of inventory on hand, that is easily tracked in an
> asset account. If you want to actually count widgets on hand and store
> that number, maybe there is a way to fudge it using stocks or exchange
> rates or something like that. For example, you could make up a stock for
> your widgets called "widget" (I know creative). Then when you purchase
> more widgets you can treat it like a stock purchase. When you sell
> widgets, (for more than you buy them I hope) then split the sales
> transaction with part of it going to reduce you inventory and part of it
> to income? I am only guessing here as I don't do anything like this in
> my books.

> > Cheers
> >
> > Marc

Here is what he emailed me:

I would like to be able to track inventory using gnucash. My wife's
business, 2ndlanguagesuccess.com includes hundreds of industry
transaction
cheat sheet cards, which we sell. It would be nice to track how many of
each
card we have on hand, which are already at the printer or scheduled for
printing, so that we can keep up with orders coming in.

Scott

I think your work-around using stocks would work for him fairly well.

P.S.  Don't forget to cc the list as well.  Usually hit "Reply all"
instead of reply :)

--
Brian Dolbec <[hidden email]>

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Thomas Spahni
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Marc Paré wrote:

> I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
> using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
> Gnucash ... or any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

Hi Marc,

I would suggest you set up a database for this. You may have a look at
mysql or postgres.

Cheers, Thomas Spahni

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Marc Paré
Brian Dolbec a écrit :

>On Tue, 2005-13-12 at 10:26 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>

>>Marc Paré wrote:
>>

>>>I have been using Gnucash for my business and have thus had no problems
>>>using it. I now need to track inventory, is there anyway to do this with
>>>Gnucash ... or any suggestions?
>>>

>>As Brian said, what kind of inventory, how large etc?
>>
>>There are definitely ways to work around it. If you are simply dealing
>>with the cash value of inventory on hand, that is easily tracked in an
>>asset account. If you want to actually count widgets on hand and store
>>that number, maybe there is a way to fudge it using stocks or exchange
>>rates or something like that. For example, you could make up a stock for
>>your widgets called "widget" (I know creative). Then when you purchase
>>more widgets you can treat it like a stock purchase. When you sell
>>widgets, (for more than you buy them I hope) then split the sales
>>transaction with part of it going to reduce you inventory and part of it
>>to income? I am only guessing here as I don't do anything like this in
>>my books.

>>>Cheers
>>>
>>>Marc
>>>

>Here is what he emailed me:
>

>I would like to be able to track inventory using gnucash. My wife's
>business, 2ndlanguagesuccess.com includes hundreds of industry
>transaction
>cheat sheet cards, which we sell. It would be nice to track how many of
>each
>card we have on hand, which are already at the printer or scheduled for
>printing, so that we can keep up with orders coming in.
>
>Scott
>

>I think your work-around using stocks would work for him fairly well.
>

>P.S.  Don't forget to cc the list as well.  Usually hit "Reply all"
>instead of reply :)

I am not too sure who sent you that note but it certainly was not from
me! It sounds like it came from another poster who would like the same
function from their Gnucash.

As to the inventory in question, I sell a combination of some early
music keyboard supply parts and have recently started to sell computer
supplies locally. I would need a package to more accurately track my
inventory list. Andrew's suggestion looks like a good one. I may give it
a shot.

I have already started a database but it is very rudimentary and not
tied to my Gnucash.

Brian ... you suggested that many people have requested an inventory
module and to register my request for one as well. Would I just do that
here or is Derek taking note of these on his own?

I am looking into Quasar which I used to use before their GPL'd version
which looks like it tracks inventory although I would prefer to remain
with Gnucash.

Thanks for the suggestions from all.

Cheers

Marc

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Brian Dolbec
On Wed, 2005-14-12 at 06:20 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:

> I am not too sure who sent you that note but it certainly was not from
> me! It sounds like it came from another poster who would like the same
> function from their Gnucash.

Yes, the email sender was different, ("Dr. Scott S. Jones"
<[hidden email]>) but I did not pay attention since many people have
several email aliases.  (me too :)

> As to the inventory in question, I sell a combination of some early
> music keyboard supply parts and have recently started to sell computer
> supplies locally. I would need a package to more accurately track my
> inventory list. Andrew's suggestion looks like a good one. I may give it
> a shot.

That method should work for small inventories and not involve
manufacturing or combining to any extent.

> I have already started a database but it is very rudimentary and not
> tied to my Gnucash.

What is your database table?  That will give us a start to your needs.
Gnucash2 and beyond will be easier to integrate your database (see
below).   Are you capable of any programming?  What languages
(programming) are you familiar with, database your using?

> Brian ... you suggested that many people have requested an inventory
> module and to register my request for one as well. Would I just do that
> here or is Derek taking note of these on his own?

Derek is far too busy as it is now.  What I meant was to list the
information you need to track so that any future development can search
these archives for user needs.  I myself would like an inventory module.
but it is not critical for my needs.

  Neil has been working on backend code that can be used to integrate
info from different sources into/out-of gnucash.   It has been suggested
that a proper inventory control module would probably be best to keep
separate files and transfer info to/from gnucash.  I would agree since
inventory could be many thousands of items/pieces, involve manufacturing
to create other items, etc..

I probably have a greater desire than time to commit to working on
development of an inventory, payroll modules for gnucash.  Also a point
of sale system to tie into gnucash.  If you want to participate I'm sure
others will too.  I know Neil has volunteered to help with backend data
transfers

--
Brian Dolbec <[hidden email]>

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Marc Paré <[hidden email]> writes:

> Brian ... you suggested that many people have requested an inventory
> module and to register my request for one as well. Would I just do that
> here or is Derek taking note of these on his own?

While I /do/ read this list..  Feature requests should be made
in bugzilla.   Note that you should check whether the request exists
already before you create a new entry.

Yes, Inventory has been requested before.  However I have no plans to
implement it myself.  I'll gladly help some other enterprising
developer who wants to implement it.

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Andrew Sackville-West

Marc Paré < and others > wrote:

> Andrew's suggestion looks like a good one. I may give it
> a shot.

caveat reader!

This was a totally seat of the pants idea, but may work for smaller
inventory systems. I have not tried this or even done the most
rudimentary investigation as to whether it is doable. so good luck.

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Marc Paré
Brian Dolbec a écrit :

>On Wed, 2005-14-12 at 06:20 -0500, Marc Paré wrote:
>

>>I am not too sure who sent you that note but it certainly was not from
>>me! It sounds like it came from another poster who would like the same
>>function from their Gnucash.
>>

>Yes, the email sender was different, ("Dr. Scott S. Jones"
><[hidden email]>) but I did not pay attention since many people have
>several email aliases.  (me too :)
>

>>As to the inventory in question, I sell a combination of some early
>>music keyboard supply parts and have recently started to sell computer
>>supplies locally. I would need a package to more accurately track my
>>inventory list. Andrew's suggestion looks like a good one. I may give it
>>a shot.
>>

>That method should work for small inventories and not involve
>manufacturing or combining to any extent.
>

>>I have already started a database but it is very rudimentary and not
>>tied to my Gnucash.
>>

>What is your database table?  That will give us a start to your needs.
>Gnucash2 and beyond will be easier to integrate your database (see
>below).   Are you capable of any programming?  What languages
>(programming) are you familiar with, database your using?
>

>>Brian ... you suggested that many people have requested an inventory
>>module and to register my request for one as well. Would I just do that
>>here or is Derek taking note of these on his own?
>>

>Derek is far too busy as it is now.  What I meant was to list the
>information you need to track so that any future development can search
>these archives for user needs.  I myself would like an inventory module.
>but it is not critical for my needs.
>
>  Neil has been working on backend code that can be used to integrate
>info from different sources into/out-of gnucash.   It has been suggested
>that a proper inventory control module would probably be best to keep
>separate files and transfer info to/from gnucash.  I would agree since
>inventory could be many thousands of items/pieces, involve manufacturing
>to create other items, etc..
>
>I probably have a greater desire than time to commit to working on
>development of an inventory, payroll modules for gnucash.  Also a point
>of sale system to tie into gnucash.  If you want to participate I'm sure
>others will too.  I know Neil has volunteered to help with backend data
>transfers
>

>>I am looking into Quasar which I used to use before their GPL'd version
>>which looks like it tracks inventory although I would prefer to remain
>>with Gnucash.
>>
>>Thanks for the suggestions from all.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Marc

Hi Brian:

I am just filling trying out the database in OpenOffice for now. As for
programming skills etc. ... I have no skills in this area although I
wish I had some programming skills! It would be great if there were an
inventory module, and I know that Derek is quite busy with the upcoming
version of Gnucash, of which I am looking forward to. I guess I will
just bide my time with the present system until I find one that suits my
needs. If there is some development of an inventory module I guess I
could contribute by helping out with the testing.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

Cheers

Marc

Re: Gnucash and inventory

Marc Paré
Derek Atkins a écrit :

>Marc Paré <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>>Brian ... you suggested that many people have requested an inventory
>>module and to register my request for one as well. Would I just do that
>>here or is Derek taking note of these on his own?
>>

>While I /do/ read this list..  Feature requests should be made
>in bugzilla.   Note that you should check whether the request exists
>already before you create a new entry.
>
>Yes, Inventory has been requested before.  However I have no plans to
>implement it myself.  I'll gladly help some other enterprising
>developer who wants to implement it.
>
>-derek

Thanks for the note Derek. I realize that you do read the list and your
response to calls for help are always well appreciated and informative.
If some help is needed for the testing of an inventory module I could
maybe help out in this area as I do not have any programming skills.
Otherwise, I know that if I need to change accounting package due to my
inventory keeping needs, I would only be doing so begrudgingly/.
/Gnucash is a great programme!

Cheers

Marc
//