Gnucash Reports Archive

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gnucash Reports Archive

Greg Novak-2
I've thought for a long time now that it would be useful if there were
a central place to post/get code for reports.  If one person takes the
time to write/customize a report, it seems very likely that another
person would also find the report useful.

It seems that at the moment the main route for people sharing reports
is to contribute directly to the Gnucash source tree.  That's quite a
lot of overhead, and it seems that it would be nice to have a more
casual way of passing these things around.  

Does such a thing exist and I've just missed it?

If not, it seems like the Wiki would be a good place to start.  I
would take the initiative and post some code for reports there, but
alas, the few Gnucash reports I've written were written long ago and
have fallen into disuse.  

Greg
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnucash Reports Archive

Derek Atkins
Hi,

No such thing exists..  And when someone DOES create a new
report we put it into the sources pretty quick.  AFAIK no
new reports have been written at all recently.

-derek

Gregory Novak <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've thought for a long time now that it would be useful if there were
> a central place to post/get code for reports.  If one person takes the
> time to write/customize a report, it seems very likely that another
> person would also find the report useful.
>
> It seems that at the moment the main route for people sharing reports
> is to contribute directly to the Gnucash source tree.  That's quite a
> lot of overhead, and it seems that it would be nice to have a more
> casual way of passing these things around.  
>
> Does such a thing exist and I've just missed it?
>
> If not, it seems like the Wiki would be a good place to start.  I
> would take the initiative and post some code for reports there, but
> alas, the few Gnucash reports I've written were written long ago and
> have fallen into disuse.  
>
> Greg
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>
>

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnucash Reports Archive

Greg Novak-2
Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:
> Gregory Novak <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I've thought for a long time now that it would be useful if there were
>> a central place to post/get code for reports.  If one person takes the
>> time to write/customize a report, it seems very likely that another
>> person would also find the report useful.
>
> No such thing exists..  And when someone DOES create a new
> report we put it into the sources pretty quick.  AFAIK no
> new reports have been written at all recently.

It sounds like you feel that such a thing would be useless/redunant.
Is it really the case that either 1) Everyone who writes reports is
willing/able to pull them into a form that's general enough, useful
enough, and reliable enough to be included with Gnucash itself, or 2)
All useful reports for Gnucash has already been written?

The reports that I wrote for myself were a hacked up,
half-implemented, unreliable implementation of budgeting for Gnucash.
Such a monstrosity could never have been included with Gnucash itself,
but I nevertheless sometimes found it somewhat useful.  I could
imagine that other brave souls might have found it useful, too, and it
might have grown into something reasonable if other people were
looking at it/using it as well.

However, the fact that there were no responses to my previous post
along the lines of "Yes, I have some rough-edged reports that others
might be interested in" is perhaps confirmation that what I suggested
wouldn't see much use.

Greg

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnucash Reports Archive

Matti Picus
Gregory Novak wrote:

> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:
>  
>> Gregory Novak <[hidden email]> writes:
>>    
>>> I've thought for a long time now that it would be useful if there were
>>> a central place to post/get code for reports.  If one person takes the
>>> time to write/customize a report, it seems very likely that another
>>> person would also find the report useful.
>>>      
>> No such thing exists..  And when someone DOES create a new
>> report we put it into the sources pretty quick.  AFAIK no
>> new reports have been written at all recently.
>>    
>
> It sounds like you feel that such a thing would be useless/redunant.
> Is it really the case that either 1) Everyone who writes reports is
> willing/able to pull them into a form that's general enough, useful
> enough, and reliable enough to be included with Gnucash itself, or 2)
> All useful reports for Gnucash has already been written?
>
> The reports that I wrote for myself were a hacked up,
> half-implemented, unreliable implementation of budgeting for Gnucash.
> Such a monstrosity could never have been included with Gnucash itself,
> but I nevertheless sometimes found it somewhat useful.  I could
> imagine that other brave souls might have found it useful, too, and it
> might have grown into something reasonable if other people were
> looking at it/using it as well.
>
> However, the fact that there were no responses to my previous post
> along the lines of "Yes, I have some rough-edged reports that others
> might be interested in" is perhaps confirmation that what I suggested
> wouldn't see much use.
>
> Greg
>  
As a new user of GnuCash, with some unique needs, I would be very
interested in perusing other peoples hacked-together reports in order to
see how to do what.
Matti

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnucash Reports Archive

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by Greg Novak-2
Gregory Novak <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Gregory Novak <[hidden email]> writes:
>>> I've thought for a long time now that it would be useful if there were
>>> a central place to post/get code for reports.  If one person takes the
>>> time to write/customize a report, it seems very likely that another
>>> person would also find the report useful.
>>
>> No such thing exists..  And when someone DOES create a new
>> report we put it into the sources pretty quick.  AFAIK no
>> new reports have been written at all recently.
>
> It sounds like you feel that such a thing would be useless/redunant.
> Is it really the case that either 1) Everyone who writes reports is
> willing/able to pull them into a form that's general enough, useful
> enough, and reliable enough to be included with Gnucash itself, or 2)
> All useful reports for Gnucash has already been written?

In my experience so far, at least in terms of #1... yes.  E.g. the
Fancy Invoice report was donated.  It's not fully functional at all.
It hard-codes a lot of information because it's really just an
example, not a full-fledged report.  Yet it's in the source tree and
even installed.

I can't speak to #2.  I doubt that /ALL/ useful reports have already
been written.  But if there /IS/ another useful report, wouldn't it be
best if GnuCash shipped with it?

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user