GnuCash wiki error on reCAPTCHA

Tommy Trussell
I'm trying to update the Ubuntu page at wiki.gnucash.org that I have
updated in the past. It's been months since I've been logged in, so I just
logged in anew.

I made the change to the page, which includes a new URL, so I get the
reCAPTCHA.

When I enter the CAPTCHA text I get a blank page containing the error

"Could not open socket"

I have tried Firefox and Chromium, both with the same result.

Various web searches imply the error is due to a network issue between the
wiki server and the captcha server, but the problem has persisted for more
than a half hour.

Is the problem affecting other folks, too, or am I missing something?

Re: GnuCash wiki error on reCAPTCHA

Tommy Trussell
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm trying to update the Ubuntu page at wiki.gnucash.org that I have
> updated in the past. It's been months since I've been logged in, so I just
> logged in anew.
>
> I made the change to the page, which includes a new URL, so I get the
> reCAPTCHA.
>
> When I enter the CAPTCHA text I get a blank page containing the error
>
> "Could not open socket"
>
> I have tried Firefox and Chromium, both with the same result.
>
> Various web searches imply the error is due to a network issue between the
> wiki server and the captcha server, but the problem has persisted for more
> than a half hour.
>
> Is the problem affecting other folks, too, or am I missing something?

I'm still trying to update, and 24 hours later am still getting the "Could
not open socket" message.

I deleted the two obsolete releases of Ubuntu (didn't trigger CAPTCHA) BUT
I am still trying to add the information for Ubuntu 17.10.

If someone with edit rights to the wiki could go to the page

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu

and paste the markup below at the correct spot (above 17.04) and let me
know whether you get the same error.

=== Ubuntu 17.10 ("Artful Aardvark") ===

GnuCash 2.6.17 is included in Ubuntu 17.10, released October 2017
http://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/gnome/gnucash

Re: GnuCash wiki error on reCAPTCHA

Geert Janssens-4
Op woensdag 20 december 2017 23:31:45 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to update the Ubuntu page at wiki.gnucash.org that I have
> > updated in the past. It's been months since I've been logged in, so I just
> > logged in anew.
> >
> > I made the change to the page, which includes a new URL, so I get the
> > reCAPTCHA.
> >
> > When I enter the CAPTCHA text I get a blank page containing the error
> >
> > "Could not open socket"
> >
> > I have tried Firefox and Chromium, both with the same result.
> >
> > Various web searches imply the error is due to a network issue between the
> > wiki server and the captcha server, but the problem has persisted for more
> > than a half hour.
> >
> > Is the problem affecting other folks, too, or am I missing something?
>
> I'm still trying to update, and 24 hours later am still getting the "Could
> not open socket" message.
>
> I deleted the two obsolete releases of Ubuntu (didn't trigger CAPTCHA) BUT
> I am still trying to add the information for Ubuntu 17.10.
>
> If someone with edit rights to the wiki could go to the page
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu
>
> and paste the markup below at the correct spot (above 17.04) and let me
> know whether you get the same error.
>

> === Ubuntu 17.10 ("Artful Aardvark") ===
>
> GnuCash 2.6.17 is included in Ubuntu 17.10, released October 2017
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/gnome/gnucash

I have added the section for you without problems. But I'm probably not a good
reference as I have more rights in the wiki than most users...

Derek, can you help debug this ?

Tommy, perhaps this would be easier to test in an interactive session with
Derek on irc. His nick there is 'warlord'.

Re: GnuCash wiki error on reCAPTCHA

Tommy Trussell
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 2:43 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Op woensdag 20 december 2017 23:31:45 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Tommy Trussell <
> [hidden email]>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I'm trying to update the Ubuntu page at wiki.gnucash.org that I have
> > > updated in the past. It's been months since I've been logged in, so I
> just
> > > logged in anew.
> > >
> > > I made the change to the page, which includes a new URL, so I get the
> > > reCAPTCHA.
> > >
> > > When I enter the CAPTCHA text I get a blank page containing the error
> > >
> > > "Could not open socket"
> > >
> > > I have tried Firefox and Chromium, both with the same result.
> > >
> > > Various web searches imply the error is due to a network issue between
> the
> > > wiki server and the captcha server, but the problem has persisted for
> more
> > > than a half hour.
> > >
> > > Is the problem affecting other folks, too, or am I missing something?
> >
> > I'm still trying to update, and 24 hours later am still getting the
> "Could
> > not open socket" message.
> >
> > I deleted the two obsolete releases of Ubuntu (didn't trigger CAPTCHA)
> BUT
> > I am still trying to add the information for Ubuntu 17.10.
> >
> > If someone with edit rights to the wiki could go to the page
> >
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu
> >
> > and paste the markup below at the correct spot (above 17.04) and let me
> > know whether you get the same error.
> >

> > === Ubuntu 17.10 ("Artful Aardvark") ===
> >
> > GnuCash 2.6.17 is included in Ubuntu 17.10, released October 2017
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/gnome/gnucash
>
> I have added the section for you without problems. But I'm probably not a
> good
> reference as I have more rights in the wiki than most users...
>
> Derek, can you help debug this ?
>
> Tommy, perhaps this would be easier to test in an interactive session with
> Derek on irc. His nick there is 'warlord'.
>
> Geert

Geert, thank you for adding the URL!  I'm disappointed you didn't see the
bug, but glad to know it doesn't affect everyone.

I'm not in front of a screen reliably until next week; I will put on my
schedule to check back and see if I can get the error when Derek is
available to look at the server.

Re: GnuCash wiki error on reCAPTCHA

Derek Atkins-3
Unfortunately I'm away on holiday and don't have enough my laptop with me,
so this will have to wait until January.  I suspect it's an IPv6 issue.

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

On December 22, 2017 1:14:08 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 2:43 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Op woensdag 20 december 2017 23:31:45 CET schreef Tommy Trussell:
>> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Tommy Trussell <
>> [hidden email]>

>> just

>> the
>> more

>> > I'm still trying to update, and 24 hours later am still getting the
>> "Could
>> > not open socket" message.
>> >
>> > I deleted the two obsolete releases of Ubuntu (didn't trigger CAPTCHA)
>> BUT
>> > I am still trying to add the information for Ubuntu 17.10.
>> >
>> > If someone with edit rights to the wiki could go to the page
>> >
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu
>> >
>> > and paste the markup below at the correct spot (above 17.04) and let me
>> > know whether you get the same error.
>> >

>> > === Ubuntu 17.10 ("Artful Aardvark") ===
>> >
>> > GnuCash 2.6.17 is included in Ubuntu 17.10, released October 2017
>> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/gnome/gnucash
>>
>> I have added the section for you without problems. But I'm probably not a
>> good
>> reference as I have more rights in the wiki than most users...
>>
>> Derek, can you help debug this ?
>>
>> Tommy, perhaps this would be easier to test in an interactive session with
>> Derek on irc. His nick there is 'warlord'.
>>
>> Geert
>>

> Geert, thank you for adding the URL!  I'm disappointed you didn't see the
> bug, but glad to know it doesn't affect everyone.
>
> I'm not in front of a screen reliably until next week; I will put on my
> schedule to check back and see if I can get the error when Derek is
> available to look at the server.

Re: GnuCash wiki error on reCAPTCHA

I'm back from my holiday so can now work to debug this.
I don't see anything specific in the logs, so I think we'll have to work
on this in more "real time".
Let me know when you're available to work on this?

(I should note that I *DID* receive email from google about having to
upgrade our reCAPTCHA interface, which I have not (yet) done -- unclear
if this is related)

-derek