GnuCash shuting down after several minutes...

GnuCash shuting down after several minutes...

randix
In the past 24 hours I've (unfortunately) noticed that GnuCash shuts down without notice after several minutes...this, while I'm actively working (adding transactions, reconciling) in the program.  It's happened 3 times in the past hour already this am.  When I restart it, get the usual lock message, then comes up fine again.  Any ideas why?  Using Windows 7.  Thanks.

Re: GnuCash shuting down after several minutes...

John Ralls-2

On Dec 26, 2012, at 5:35 AM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the past 24 hours I've (unfortunately) noticed that GnuCash shuts down
> without notice after several minutes...this, while I'm actively working
> (adding transactions, reconciling) in the program.  It's happened 3 times in
> the past hour already this am.  When I restart it, get the usual lock
> message, then comes up fine again.  Any ideas why?  Using Windows 7.
> Thanks.

Sorry, that's not enough information. You might find the following wiki articles helpful in figuring out what's going wrong:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Something_bad_happened.3B_how_can_I_help_debug.3F
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

gnucash and accrual accounting

Kash
This is sort of an accounting question, but relates specifically to
implementing in gnucash, so please bear with me.

I've recently started to set up bill payments and invoicing using
gnucash's built in capabilities
Business> Vendor> new bill
Business> Customer> new invoice

The effect seems to be consistent with accrual; The P&L is affected, but
not the cash flow or balance sheet. This means that I can set up
transactions in to show up in the month when they were earned, or
incurred, but pay or collect in a different month.

I've got two questions.

1.) Is it correct that I can generally use billing and invoicing for
accrual rather than setting up my own manual system of A/P accounts? Are
there any foreseeable drawbacks?

2.) How do I split payments so that they show up across several periods
in the income statement, but are actually paid and appear on the cash
flow as one payment? For example, I have a continuous service that I'd
like to appear on monthly P&L, but that is actually paid annually?

Re: gnucash and accrual accounting

Buddha Buck
On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Kash <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1.) Is it correct that I can generally use billing and invoicing for accrual
> rather than setting up my own manual system of A/P accounts? Are there any
> foreseeable drawbacks?

I believe this is what the billing and invoicing system was set up for.

> 2.) How do I split payments so that they show up across several periods in
> the income statement, but are actually paid and appear on the cash flow as
> one payment? For example, I have a continuous service that I'd like to
> appear on monthly P&L, but that is actually paid annually?

I have a similar situation: I am accounting for memberships in an
organization, and want the memberships to show up as monthly income
(even though some people may annually).  My solution was to invoice
monthly (so for someone who joined in December 2012, I would enter
invoices posted December, 2012, January 2013, etc through November
2013), and then enter their annual payment as of the date they paid.
The billing and invoicing system automatically applies the payment to
the oldest unpaid invoices in turn, meaning that all 12 will be marked
"paid"; the "customer report" for each member who has paid annually
shows a large credit which decreases over the course of the year, and
the cash flow and balance sheet reflects where they money actually is.
 The only oddity is that A/R typically shows a negative balance, but
that's a reasonable way of looking at the situation.

income statement vs. profit and loss

Kash
When I go to the sub menu under:
Reports > Income and Expense
I find listings for both 'Profit &Loss' and 'Income Statement'

I'd understood that these are two names for the same report. Is Gnucash
generating reports that differ in any way other than their names?

Re: income statement vs. profit and loss

Derek Atkins-3
Nope, the are the same except for the title.

-derek

Sent from my HTC smartphone