GnuCash on Win32: Binary package now available

GnuCash on Win32: Binary package now available

Christian Stimming

Re: GnuCash on Win32: Binary package now available

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Wednesday 03 January 2007 11:47 am, Christian Stimming wrote:

> As explained earlier here and on http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows,
> compiling of GnuCash on Microsoft Windows can be completed successfully
> for quite some time now.
>
> Eventually with the help of a lot of you here we were also able to
> create the first binary packages that come with a executable installer.
> According to our initial tests, these install an actually working copy
> of GnuCash on Windows. We need a lot of feedback now about whether this
> really works, or which parts are still broken. Please download this
> totally experimental package from here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192&package_id=5582
>
> For known issues, see here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows   When
> reporting problems, either send a message here on gnucash-devel or add
> text to the wiki page. (Please don't use bugzilla for windows issues, yet.)
>
> Most importantly, the win32-GnuCash cannot read or write compressed
> files. Your Unix/Linux datafile is most certainly gzip compressed, so
> this cannot be read by the win32 GnuCash. In any case you shouldn't use
> this win32 version for any of your real data, because it might still
> mysteriously modify your data or make it disappear or whatever.
>
> We are eagerly awaiting any feedback.

Well it installed and ran on my WinXP laptop. I did have to gunzip the data
file, but that's a known issue. There's probly a LF/CR problem with the Tips
of the Day since it seems ever other one is blank. I haven't dug into it real
heavily, but it looks pretty good at first blush.
It is slow to start, and a DOS window displays on the desktop all the time,
but I'm not sure if you can do anything about that or not...

Good work!

Tim

--
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux), Linux 2.6.18-1.2257.fc5
 15:40:01 up  1:25,  2 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.51, 0.48

Re: GnuCash on Win32: Binary package now available

jarney1

The problem of opening the DOS window on run is solved during build by setting LDFLAGS="-mwindows" prior to running the ./configure script.  Alternatively, a win32 platform can be detected inside the configure.in and the "-mwindows" flag added at that time.

You will also need to make sure this is set also for anything that gnucash ends up invoking (such as gconfd).

My 2 cents.  This is what I did and it works just fine.

---- Tim Wunder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 January 2007 11:47 am, Christian Stimming wrote:
> > As explained earlier here and on http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows,
> > compiling of GnuCash on Microsoft Windows can be completed successfully
> > for quite some time now.
> >
> > Eventually with the help of a lot of you here we were also able to
> > create the first binary packages that come with a executable installer.
> > According to our initial tests, these install an actually working copy
> > of GnuCash on Windows. We need a lot of feedback now about whether this
> > really works, or which parts are still broken. Please download this
> > totally experimental package from here:
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192&package_id=5582
> >
> > For known issues, see here: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows   When
> > reporting problems, either send a message here on gnucash-devel or add
> > text to the wiki page. (Please don't use bugzilla for windows issues, yet.)
> >
> > Most importantly, the win32-GnuCash cannot read or write compressed
> > files. Your Unix/Linux datafile is most certainly gzip compressed, so
> > this cannot be read by the win32 GnuCash. In any case you shouldn't use
> > this win32 version for any of your real data, because it might still
> > mysteriously modify your data or make it disappear or whatever.
> >
> > We are eagerly awaiting any feedback.
> >

> Well it installed and ran on my WinXP laptop. I did have to gunzip the data
> file, but that's a known issue. There's probly a LF/CR problem with the Tips
> of the Day since it seems ever other one is blank. I haven't dug into it real
> heavily, but it looks pretty good at first blush.
> It is slow to start, and a DOS window displays on the desktop all the time,
> but I'm not sure if you can do anything about that or not...
>
> Good work!
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux), Linux 2.6.18-1.2257.fc5
>  15:40:01 up  1:25,  2 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.51, 0.48
> MP3/OGG archive Total playlength : 9 days, 8 hours, 14 mins 50 seconds
> "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts" John Wooden

Re: GnuCash on Win32: Binary package now available

Olaf Faaland-3
Hi all,

I installed it on XP Pro SP2 and played around briefly.  No problems with
the installation or during run time.

-Olaf