GnuCash mobile

randix
Before I get flamed, I throw myself on the mercy of the gawds and acknowledge that I've posted on this subject before...

Not talking about the ("un-official") GnuCash app that allows you to record transactions and upload them to "real" GnuCash...
.
The drum beat to get a "real" mobile application really is a screamer, and increases each and every day.  As with others, I spend less and less time on my laptop, more and more time on my phone, not having access to my GnuCash account is becoming increasingly inconvenient.  As much as I "luv" GnuCash, having to go back to my laptop to update it, is increasingly a pain.

Just venting.  And yes, I know all the usual reasons why it doesn't exist, and why it's not likely to exist for the foreseeable future, and I totally get that those valuable souls who have spent their time and energies on this program, only have so much to give...  Just sayin', the drum beat makes me want to look for a solution even though I'm totally happy with GnuCash...

I can't be the only one feeling the increasing need to get this void filled...I really need a mobile app that represents the present, not contingent on being manually updated to reflect it...

I now officially crawl back into my crevice...

Re: GnuCash mobile

Derek Atkins-3
Would you be willing to pay $5/month for such a service?   $10?

On May 26, 2017 7:33:45 PM EDT, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Before I get flamed, I throw myself on the mercy of the gawds and
>acknowledge
>that I've posted on this subject before...
>
>Not talking about the ("un-official") GnuCash app that allows you to
>record
>transactions and upload them to "real" GnuCash...
>.
>The drum beat to get a "real" mobile application really is a screamer,
>and
>increases each and every day.  As with others, I spend less and less
>time on
>my laptop, more and more time on my phone, not having access to my
>GnuCash
>account is becoming increasingly inconvenient.  As much as I "luv"
>GnuCash,
>having to go back to my laptop to update it, is increasingly a pain.
>
>Just venting.  And yes, I know all the usual reasons why it doesn't
>exist,
>and why it's not likely to exist for the foreseeable future, and I
>totally
>get that those valuable souls who have spent their time and energies on
>this
>program, only have so much to give...  Just sayin', the drum beat makes
>me
>want to look for a solution even though I'm totally happy with
>GnuCash...
>
>I can't be the only one feeling the increasing need to get this void
>filled...I really need a mobile app that represents the present, not
>contingent on being manually updated to reflect it...
>
>I now officially crawl back into my crevice...
>

>--

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity or typos.

Re: GnuCash mobile

randix
Personally, I'd be willing to pay $100+ per year for the app.  I don't expect it to be free, I'm thrilled that for the past number of years since leaving Quicken, that I have a program that "works".  To have that information available to me wherever I am?  Hard to put a price on it.  Hard for me to imagine that if one is able to translate the current program to a mobile app, that it would not get wide adoption with whatever reasonable monthly charge.

I'm just saying that with each passing day, having a program that is anchored to a desktop or laptop computer, makes increasingly less sense.  Perhaps progress is being made behind the scenes, I sure hope so.

Re: GnuCash mobile

Steve <[hidden email]> writes:

> Personally, I'd be willing to pay $100+ per year for the app.  I don't expect
> it to be free, I'm thrilled that for the past number of years since leaving
> Quicken, that I have a program that "works".  To have that information
> available to me wherever I am?  Hard to put a price on it.  Hard for me to
> imagine that if one is able to translate the current program to a mobile
> app, that it would not get wide adoption with whatever reasonable monthly
> charge.
>
> I'm just saying that with each passing day, having a program that is
> anchored to a desktop or laptop computer, makes increasingly less sense.
> Perhaps progress is being made behind the scenes, I sure hope so.

The issue at hand is that:

1) Building such an app would require time.  It may be possible to
   leverage the existing GnuCash for Android app, but it would require a
   lot of extra work to handle real-time data syncronization.  Also,
   users would probably need/want an iOS version too.

2) We'd need to run a service that would enable data sharing between
   the app and your desktop.  The easiest way to do this would be a
   hosted service that hosts your data wholesale.  Another option would
   be to enable you to run your own server, but I suspect MOST users
   would not have the resources or skills to do that.

3) Before we could get any of this done, we'd need to complete the C++
   rewrite of the main code which would enable porting to the other
   platforms.

In short -- doing this would be a lot of work, it it would require a lot
of moving parts to come together.  While I think it's a reasonable long
term goal, I don't see it happening in the next year or three without
some major influx of resources.

Re: GnuCash mobile

Fross, Michael
I would think that when GnuCash becomes a  more traditional database
application, a lot of doors would open.  The mobile app could interact
directly with the data without all of the sync work (which I believe would
be significant.)

IIRC, the goal for that is at the end of the year.  Derek, if this is what
you mean by the C++ rewrite, then apologies for the repetition.

And for the record, I think an option to host your own server would be
important.

Keep up the great work guys.  It's appreciated.

Michael

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Steve <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Personally, I'd be willing to pay $100+ per year for the app.  I don't
> expect
> > it to be free, I'm thrilled that for the past number of years since
> leaving
> > Quicken, that I have a program that "works".  To have that information
> > available to me wherever I am?  Hard to put a price on it.  Hard for me
> > imagine that if one is able to translate the current program to a mobile
> > app, that it would not get wide adoption with whatever reasonable monthly
> > charge.
> >
> > I'm just saying that with each passing day, having a program that is
> > anchored to a desktop or laptop computer, makes increasingly less sense.
> > Perhaps progress is being made behind the scenes, I sure hope so.
>
> The issue at hand is that:
>
> 1) Building such an app would require time.  It may be possible to
>    leverage the existing GnuCash for Android app, but it would require a
>    lot of extra work to handle real-time data syncronization.  Also,
>    users would probably need/want an iOS version too.
>
> 2) We'd need to run a service that would enable data sharing between
>    the app and your desktop.  The easiest way to do this would be a
>    hosted service that hosts your data wholesale.  Another option would
>    be to enable you to run your own server, but I suspect MOST users
>    would not have the resources or skills to do that.
>
> 3) Before we could get any of this done, we'd need to complete the C++
>    rewrite of the main code which would enable porting to the other
>    platforms.
>
> In short -- doing this would be a lot of work, it it would require a lot
> of moving parts to come together.  While I think it's a reasonable long
> term goal, I don't see it happening in the next year or three without
> some major influx of resources.

>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: GnuCash mobile

Andy Pastuszak
Will this also include native Gnome 3 support?  I'm kind of hooked on Gnome
3 GTKHeaderBar.

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would think that when GnuCash becomes a  more traditional database
> application, a lot of doors would open.  The mobile app could interact
> directly with the data without all of the sync work (which I believe would
> be significant.)
>
> IIRC, the goal for that is at the end of the year.  Derek, if this is what
> you mean by the C++ rewrite, then apologies for the repetition.
>
> And for the record, I think an option to host your own server would be
> important.
>
> Keep up the great work guys.  It's appreciated.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Steve <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > Personally, I'd be willing to pay $100+ per year for the app.  I don't
> > expect
> > > it to be free, I'm thrilled that for the past number of years since
> > leaving
> > > Quicken, that I have a program that "works".  To have that information
> > > available to me wherever I am?  Hard to put a price on it.  Hard for me
> > > imagine that if one is able to translate the current program to a
> mobile
> > > app, that it would not get wide adoption with whatever reasonable
> monthly
> > > charge.
> > >
> > > I'm just saying that with each passing day, having a program that is
> > > anchored to a desktop or laptop computer, makes increasingly less
> sense.
> > > Perhaps progress is being made behind the scenes, I sure hope so.
> >
> > The issue at hand is that:
> >
> > 1) Building such an app would require time.  It may be possible to
> >    leverage the existing GnuCash for Android app, but it would require a
> >    lot of extra work to handle real-time data syncronization.  Also,
> >    users would probably need/want an iOS version too.
> >
> > 2) We'd need to run a service that would enable data sharing between
> >    the app and your desktop.  The easiest way to do this would be a
> >    hosted service that hosts your data wholesale.  Another option would
> >    be to enable you to run your own server, but I suspect MOST users
> >    would not have the resources or skills to do that.
> >
> > 3) Before we could get any of this done, we'd need to complete the C++
> >    rewrite of the main code which would enable porting to the other
> >    platforms.
> >
> > In short -- doing this would be a lot of work, it it would require a lot
> > of moving parts to come together.  While I think it's a reasonable long
> > term goal, I don't see it happening in the next year or three without
> > some major influx of resources.

> > -derek
> >
> > --
> >        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

Re: GnuCash mobile

Michael,

"Fross, Michael" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I would think that when GnuCash becomes a  more traditional database
> application, a lot of doors would open.  The mobile app could interact
> directly with the data without all of the sync work (which I believe would be
> significant.)

This is part of it, but frankly Joe Average doesn't have the ability to
set up, maintain, secure, and run an open database server.

> IIRC, the goal for that is at the end of the year.  Derek, if this is what you
> mean by the C++ rewrite, then apologies for the repetition.

No, that's not correct.  The goal for the end of this year is the C++
rewrite.  Turning GnuCash into a "true" database app is a longer-term
project, more like ~3 years out.

> And for the record, I think an option to host your own server would be
> important.

Sure, but I expect the majority of users wont.  What's the point of a
mobile app that only works when you're on your home wifi?

> Keep up the great work guys.  It's appreciated.

Thanks,

> Michael

Re: GnuCash mobile

Derek Atkins-3
Andy,

I believe that Geert is looking into GTK3 (not Gnome3) support, but I
don't know the current status or if its expected to be completed in time
for 2.8.

-derek

On Tue, May 30, 2017 11:46 am, Andy Pastuszak wrote:

> Will this also include native Gnome 3 support?  I'm kind of hooked on
> Gnome
> 3 GTKHeaderBar.
>
> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Fross, Michael <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I would think that when GnuCash becomes a  more traditional database
>> application, a lot of doors would open.  The mobile app could interact
>> directly with the data without all of the sync work (which I believe
>> would
>> be significant.)
>>
>> IIRC, the goal for that is at the end of the year.  Derek, if this is
>> what
>> you mean by the C++ rewrite, then apologies for the repetition.
>>
>> And for the record, I think an option to host your own server would be
>> important.
>>
>> Keep up the great work guys.  It's appreciated.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,

>> don't
>> > expect
>> > leaving
>> information
>> me
>> mobile
>> monthly

>> sense.
>> >
>> > The issue at hand is that:
>> >
>> > 1) Building such an app would require time.  It may be possible to
>> >    leverage the existing GnuCash for Android app, but it would require
>> >    lot of extra work to handle real-time data syncronization.  Also,
>> >    users would probably need/want an iOS version too.
>> >
>> > 2) We'd need to run a service that would enable data sharing between
>> >    the app and your desktop.  The easiest way to do this would be a
>> >    hosted service that hosts your data wholesale.  Another option
>> would
>> >    be to enable you to run your own server, but I suspect MOST users
>> >    would not have the resources or skills to do that.
>> >
>> > 3) Before we could get any of this done, we'd need to complete the C++
>> >    rewrite of the main code which would enable porting to the other
>> >    platforms.
>> >
>> > In short -- doing this would be a lot of work, it it would require a
>> lot
>> > of moving parts to come together.  While I think it's a reasonable
>> long
>> > term goal, I don't see it happening in the next year or three without
>> > some major influx of resources.

>> > -derek
>> >
>> > --
>> >        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>> >        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>> >        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: GnuCash mobile

> On May 30, 2017, at 8:48 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Michael,
>
> "Fross, Michael" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> IIRC, the goal for that is at the end of the year.  Derek, if this is what you
>> mean by the C++ rewrite, then apologies for the repetition.
>
> No, that's not correct.  The goal for the end of this year is the C++
> rewrite.  Turning GnuCash into a "true" database app is a longer-term
> project, more like ~3 years out.

That was the early, overly optimistic goal. It didn't happen. We've got C++ rewrites of part of libqof (most significantly date-time and numeric), the SQL backend, and the CSV importer. The task for the remainder of this year is to get that cleaned up and production ready.

I think we can get to "true database" in the next development cycle if we focus on it.

Re: GnuCash mobile

> On May 30, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Andy,
>
> I believe that Geert is looking into GTK3 (not Gnome3) support, but I
> don't know the current status or if its expected to be completed in time
> for 2.8.

We got pushed to Gtk3 by RedHat withdrawing WebKit1 from Fedora 26; WebKit2 is available only on Gtk3. Geert's done the work, it's in the Gtk3 branch on his Github repo. The blocker at the moment is getting a Gtk3 Windows build, which is what I'm working on right now--though WebKit2 isn't supported on Windows so we have to use WebKit1 with Gtk3 there. We won't start the 2.7 beta cycle until Gtk3 is merged, and we won't merge Gtk3 until the Windows build works.

Re: GnuCash mobile

Andy Pastuszak
Are there any UI changes with switching to GTK3?

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 6:46 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On May 30, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Andy,
> >
> > I believe that Geert is looking into GTK3 (not Gnome3) support, but I
> > don't know the current status or if its expected to be completed in time
> > for 2.8.
> >

> We got pushed to Gtk3 by RedHat withdrawing WebKit1 from Fedora 26;
> WebKit2 is available only on Gtk3. Geert's done the work, it's in the Gtk3
> branch on his Github repo. The blocker at the moment is getting a Gtk3
> Windows build, which is what I'm working on right now--though WebKit2 isn't
> supported on Windows so we have to use WebKit1 with Gtk3 there. We won't
> start the 2.7 beta cycle until Gtk3 is merged, and we won't merge Gtk3
> until the Windows build works.

Re: GnuCash mobile

John Ralls-2

> On May 30, 2017, at 3:59 PM, Andy Pastuszak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are there any UI changes with switching to GTK3?

I don't know offhand, but I'd guess there will be some minor ones. Theming will be completely different, obviously.

Re: GnuCash mobile

On woensdag 31 mei 2017 00:59:55 CEST Andy Pastuszak wrote:
> Are there any UI changes with switching to GTK3?

As John said already mentioned the theming in Gtk3 is completely different
from Gtk2. So Gnucash will look differently in some ways.

I didn't deliberately make gui changes. Where necessary I did replace Gtk2
function calls that no longer exist with Gtk3 equivalents.

Re: GnuCash mobile

Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Hi Steve,

Indeed, we might need to make it so that GnuCash is provided to users of
mobile devices.

I wonder what GNU IceCat uses in order to provide that? Maybe those
interested can check GNU IceCat to see how it's done.

Also, as I talked with people in gnucash-devel (which is the right place
for this discussion): We can provide GnuCash to mobile users, although
we must make some ground solid also as to avoid complications that could
impact the essential freedoms of the software being used by the mobile
users --- after all, we're working for free/libre digital society (not
gratis).

As a note perhaps for future discussion in gnucash-devel instead: As a
*personal* suggestion, I would keep GNU Guile Scheme support at least in
desktop or notebook computers. I suggest this because such language is
extensible, easier to read and sanitized --- I can provide references to
these points if you do want, but I would rather discuss the continuation
in gnucash-devel instead. :)