GnuCash Translation into Tamil

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GnuCash Translation into Tamil

AshokR
Hi,

I would like to help with the translation of GnuCash into Tamil (ta_IN). I emailed the last translator mentioned in the ta.po file: Ganesan Rajesh. However that email bounced right back as undeliverable.

I would like to use the Transifex service as a shared workspace to collaborate with, hopefully,  other volunteers. Transifex is a service based on an open source project. I understand that it is being used by several hundred projects including Django, Ekiga, CiviCRM, Empathy, F-Spot, PackageKit and a number of GNOME projects.

Transifex works with GitHub. To create a new project on Transifex, the help file asks me to "Navigate using your browser to your repository tree on GitHub, and browse through the directory structure to locate your English language file." Can someone help me with the URL of this on Git?

Once I set up the project, I can Create a Translatable Resource for a language, in my case Tamil. For this I need to provide the source language POT file. However, that link seems to be trunk, while the wiki is asking me to use the 2.4 branch. I need help with that as well.

Thanks for all your help in advance,
Ashok
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Translation into Tamil

Christian Stimming
Dear Ashok,

Am Freitag, 8. April 2011 schrieb AshokR:
> I would like to help with the translation of GnuCash into Tamil (ta_IN).

This sounds great. We appreciate any contributions in Translations. Is it
correct that you are also the author of the great new book on gnucash by
packtpub? Thanks a lot for that one.

> I would like to use the  http://www.transifex.net/ Transifex  service as a
> shared workspace to collaborate with, hopefully,  other volunteers.
> Transifex is a service based on an open source project. I understand that
> it is being used by several hundred projects including Django, Ekiga,
> CiviCRM, Empathy, F-Spot, PackageKit and a number of GNOME projects.
>
> Transifex works with GitHub.
> http://help.transifex.net/user-guide/projects.html To create a new project
> on Transifex , the help file asks me to "Navigate using your browser to
> your repository tree on GitHub, and browse through the directory structure
> to locate your English language file." Can someone help me with the URL of
> this on Git?

I guess they are expecting the translation template file "gnucash.pot"
somewhere in our repository. However, that file isn't in SVN/git, it is only
generated during compiling and packaging. If you compile gnucash on your own,
you will find the file as "po/gnucash.pot". There were several attempts to
have this file auto-generated by some web service similar to what you've
mentioned above. But so far every attempt failed because of the significant
variety of translation input files we have in gnucash: C source, Scheme
source, Glade UI files, GConf schemas files. So far no automated website was
able to generate the gnucash.pot file from its own.

If you want to use transifex right now, the only solution is for you to set up
a gnucash build (of 2.4 branch) yourself, which generated gnucash.pot along
the way, then upload it somewhere on your own, e.g. on a personal repository
in your github account. Then you must remember to update this uploaded file
every now and then.

> Once I set up the project, I can Create a Translatable Resource for a
> language, in my case Tamil. For this I need to provide the
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/trunk/po/ta.po source language POT
> file . However, that link seems to be trunk, while the wiki is asking me to
> use the 2.4 branch. I need help with that as well.

https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/2.4/po/ta.po is what you want. (Heh,
that was an easy one.)

Best Regards,

Christian
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Translation into Tamil

AshokR
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the good words about my book. Much appreciated!

Also, thanks for the tips about using Transifex. I intend pursuing this approach for now. I think the ease of contributing directly on a web page will encourage more people to participate.

With warm regards,
Ashok
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Translation into Tamil - update

AshokR
I have created a GnuCash 2.4 translation project on Transifex.

Tamil translation has reached a milestone of 30% now.

Here are some interim notes about my experience with Transifex so far:

 - Transifex is somewhat like GnuCash! Though multiple people can use it, only one can use it at a time (for each language).
 - Poedit allows one fuzzy translation. Transifex allows multiple suggestions. And team members can vote on each suggestion to choose the most popular.
 - I find the search capability most useful. I can filter by a keyword and see all strings using that keyword in one place and translate them together.
 - I am able to backup the resulting .po file as often as needed.
 - The one big problem that I face now is that sometimes the translations are saved with the wrong source string. I have opened bug tickets with specific examples and screenshots. However, Transifex is yet not able to reproduce this and fix it.

I will provide further updates as we make progress.

Ashok
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Translation into Tamil - update

Christian Stimming-4
Dear Ashok,

sounds very good! How do you submit the file back into gnucash? Will you
simply send the ta.po once you think you're ready? As usual, we will happily
commit any po file that is sent here to the mailing list. There might be a
2.4.6 release in the next 1-3 weeks, so it probably can't hurt to submit an
intermediate state sometime soon, but that is up to you.

Best Regards,

Christian

Am Sonntag, 22. Mai 2011 schrieb AshokR:

> https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/gnucash24/ I have created a GnuCash
> 2.4 translation project on Transifex.
>
> https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/gnucash24/resource/gnucashpot/l/ta/vie
> w/ Tamil translation has reached a milestone of 30% now.
>
> Here are some interim notes about my experience with Transifex so far:
>
>  - Transifex is somewhat like GnuCash! Though multiple people can use it,
> only one can use it at a time (for each language).
>  - Poedit allows one fuzzy translation. Transifex allows multiple
> suggestions. And team members can vote on each suggestion to choose the
> most popular.
>  - I find the search capability most useful. I can filter by a keyword and
> see all strings using that keyword in one place and translate them
> together. - I am able to backup the resulting .po file as often as needed.
>  - The one big problem that I face now is that sometimes the translations
> are saved with the wrong source string. I have opened bug tickets with
> specific examples and screenshots. However, Transifex is yet not able to
> reproduce this and fix it.
>
> I will provide further updates as we make progress.
>
> Ashok
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Translation-into-Tamil-tp3436
> 750p3542751.html Sent from the GnuCash - Dev mailing list archive at
> Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Translation into Tamil - ta.po file enclosed

AshokR
Hi Christian,

I could not get this ready prior to the 2.4.6 build. Here is the ta.po.gz file with the translation done so far. I have tested it with msgfmt.exe. I was able to build the .gmo file successfully (after some tweaking) as well as switch the language and see the result.

Thanks in advance for building this into the next release,
Ashok

ta.po.gz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Translation into Tamil - ta.po file enclosed

Christian Stimming-4
Dear Ashok,

thanks a lot for the translation. I had to fix two strings that gave msgfmt
errors (missing "\n" in the translated string). Apart from those, msgfmt ran
fine and I've committed this into the 2.4-branch SVN so that it will be in the
next stable releases.

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Christian

Am Freitag, 17. Juni 2011 schrieb AshokR:

> Hi Christian,
>
> I could not get this ready prior to the 2.4.6 build. Here is the ta.po.gz
> file with the translation done so far. I have tested it with msgfmt.exe. I
> was able to build the .gmo file successfully (after some tweaking) as well
> as switch the language and see the result.
>
> Thanks in advance for building this into the next release,
> Ashok
>
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n3606304/ta.po.gz ta.po.gz
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Translation-into-Tamil-tp3436
> 750p3606304.html Sent from the GnuCash - Dev mailing list archive at
> Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel