GnuCash: Import CSV File Format

Charles Sliger
Where can I find the file specification for creating a csv file to
import transactions?
--
-chaz
Charles Sliger

Re: GnuCash: Import CSV File Format

Nelson Handcock
The online help/tutorials has all the information!

Thanks & Regards,

Nelson Handcock
0409 149919

http://www.linkedin.com/in/nelsonhandcockaustralia

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Charles Sliger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where can I find the file specification for creating a csv file to
> import transactions?
> --
> -chaz
> Charles Sliger
> "No matter where you go... There you are... Buckaroo Banzai"

Re: GnuCash: Import CSV File Format

I don't think that there is a specification beyond the generic CSV format,
which is grouping chunks of text separated by commas into groups separated
by a carriage return.  Check with your favorite spreadsheet program for
help.

When you want to import a file into GnuCash you then assign 'columns' to
data during the import process.  You can assign a 'column' to each of the
commonly used used fields in a transaction record. The process does not
consider which account is the 'home' account, you just start in that
account when you import, if I recall

FYI it is very important to be consistent with the date format when
assigning a column to dates, as GnuCash is very fussy about M-D-Y vs
D-M-Y.

David C