GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

Geert Janssens-4
Hi Folks,

As it's been about 5 years since I created a visualization of the gnucash development history in
svn, I thought it was time to bring an updated version.

The result can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjA1DjPEm8

It's a video created with gource. This is a tool that interprets all commits to a source repository
and then visualizes the evolution of the software based on these changes and who made them.

It's fun to watch the source tree develop like a flower. I particularly like the last year and a half:
that's where we migrated to git. One big advantage is that from now on you can really see who
committed what. Before this switch only the names of people with commit access appear
(those people also committed patches by people without commit access). So the flock of (code)
contributors is much more realistic now.

The video takes about 9 minutes. Feel free to skip parts if it becomes too long :)

Other than that: enjoy !

Geert
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

Wm...
Sat, 26 Sep 2015 17:17:00 <[hidden email]>
Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote...

>Hi Folks,
>
>As it's been about 5 years since I created a visualization of the
>gnucash development history in
>svn, I thought it was time to bring an updated version.
>
>The result can be found here:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjA1DjPEm8
>
>It's a video created with gource. This is a tool that interprets all
>commits to a source repository
>and then visualizes the evolution of the software based on these
>changes and who made them.
>
>It's fun to watch the source tree develop like a flower. I particularly
>like the last year and a half:
>that's where we migrated to git. One big advantage is that from now on
>you can really see who
>committed what. Before this switch only the names of people with commit
>access appear
>(those people also committed patches by people without commit access).
>So the flock of (code)
>contributors is much more realistic now.
>
>The video takes about 9 minutes. Feel free to skip parts if it becomes
>too long :)
>
>Other than that: enjoy !

Strangely beautiful.  I do think it deserves some accompanying music.
Interesting you say flower, I saw (undersea) coral growth and universe
expansion.

--
Wm...

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

Aaron Laws
In reply to this post by Geert Janssens-4
On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> ...

The video takes about 9 minutes. Feel free to skip parts if it becomes too
> long :)
>
> Other than that: enjoy !
>
> Geert
>

Thanks for sharing; this is really cool!

It took me a while, but I've decided that this must just be tracking
development on the Maint branch? Or at least it's only one branch, and each
dot is a file. Perhaps the color of the file correlates to how many times
it was touched? So those radioactive ones on the lower right at the end are
QOF? ^_^

I watched the whole video thinking that maybe each dot was a commit and
each clump of dots was a branch.


In Christ,
Aaron Laws
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by Wm...
On Saturday 26 September 2015 23:37:56 Wm... wrote:
>
> Strangely beautiful.  I do think it deserves some
accompanying music.
> Interesting you say flower, I saw (undersea) coral growth
and universe
> expansion.

Heh, I love your associations. It's indeed more organic than
just a flower. And yes, music could bring a whole different
ambience.

Geert
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by Aaron Laws
On Monday 28 September 2015 09:35:44 Aaron Laws wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Geert Janssens
> <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> >
> > ...
>
> The video takes about 9 minutes. Feel free to skip parts if it becomes
> too
> > long :)
> >
> > Other than that: enjoy !
> >
> > Geert
>
> Thanks for sharing; this is really cool!
>
> It took me a while, but I've decided that this must just be tracking
> development on the Maint branch? Or at least it's only one branch, and
> each dot is a file.

It's one branch indeed. Unfortunately I don't really remember which one I took :( I did the
rendering halfway August and was more focused on getting the gource parameters right. If
you're not appearing in the last part of the video, it must be the maint branch indeed. You'll
appear for sure in the next update then :)
I don't think there's a way to visualize all branches at once.

You are correct that each dot is a file. The groupings indicate directories.

> Perhaps the color of the file correlates to how
> many times it was touched? So those radioactive ones on the lower
> right at the end are QOF? ^_^
>
:) No. The color of the file is related to the file's extension.

> I watched the whole video thinking that maybe each dot was a commit
> and each clump of dots was a branch.

Regards,

Geert
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

John Ralls-2
In reply to this post by Aaron Laws

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 6:35 AM, Aaron Laws <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> ...
>
> The video takes about 9 minutes. Feel free to skip parts if it becomes too
>> long :)
>>
>> Other than that: enjoy !
>>
>> Geert
>>
>
> Thanks for sharing; this is really cool!
>
> It took me a while, but I've decided that this must just be tracking
> development on the Maint branch? Or at least it's only one branch, and each
> dot is a file. Perhaps the color of the file correlates to how many times
> it was touched? So those radioactive ones on the lower right at the end are
> QOF? ^_^
>
> I watched the whole video thinking that maybe each dot was a commit and
> each clump of dots was a branch.

The arcs between nodes are labeled with the corresponding directories when they’re being changed. Freeze it at 8:54 and you can see that the red blob of the lower right is the account templates and that the larger star in the center is src, with libqof a little below it. Full-screen makes it a lot easier to read.

Geert’s blurb says it’s master.

Regards,
John Ralls


_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GnuCash Development Visualization - 2015 edition

John Ralls-2
In reply to this post by Geert Janssens-4

> On Sep 28, 2015, at 7:47 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> It's one branch indeed. Unfortunately I don't really remember which one I took :( I did the
> rendering halfway August and was more focused on getting the gource parameters right. If
> you're not appearing in the last part of the video, it must be the maint branch indeed. You'll
> appear for sure in the next update then :)

It’s master. Aaron appears at 8:37 as “lmat", at about 10 o’clock from the src node above and to the left of “gtkmm”.

> I don't think there's a way to visualize all branches at once.

Since we merge maint into master all of the maint changes are visualized in master. In the SVN days we generally had a policy of changing trunk and backporting to other branches, so all of those changes should also be reflected in master.

Regards,
John Ralls
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel