GnuCash 2.6.8 released

12

GnuCash 2.6.8 released

John Ralls-2

The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.6.8, the eighth maintenance release in the 2.6-stable series. Please take the tour of all the new features.

Changes

Between 2.6.7 and 2.6.8, the following bugfixes were accomplished:

        • Bug #724738 - Value in "Display Symbol" field not saved.
        • Bug #746998 - "Months Remaining" spinbox in Loan Assistant is non-obvious. Provide a tool tip explaining what it's for.
        • Bug #747795 - Attached file not found. MSWin only. ShellExecuteW("open") doesn't decode http escapes on file: IRIs.
        • Bug #749077 - wrongfully invalidating any account save location/path starting with ".gnucash"
        • Bug #752035 - Transaction Report "Filter By" Not Always Working.
        • Bug #752204 - .gml2 files are modified during build. Since there's no real benefit to saving the files most of the time, don't, but leave the save line in, commented out, to make it easy to write new files if necessary.
        • Bug #752879 - Finance::Quote TZ Date::Manip config variable is deprecated.
        • Bug #753146 - free(): invalid pointer on duplicate transaction when Use Split Action Field for Number is set.
        • Bug #754617 - Gnucash should use PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG
        • Bug #754764 Budget Doxygen documentation - gnc-budget-view.c.
Some other fixes not associated with reported bugs:

        • Clean up deprecated Gtk functions to make eventual migration to Gtk3 easier.
        • Improve storage of prices in the price db so that there is only one per day and a preference list determines what sources can overwrite existing prices. Prices are stored in the direction that the price is greater than one to preserve precision for large prices that would be small in the other direction.
        • Correct the Stock, Bond, Market Index, and Mutual Fund account types to ASSET in the template accounts. STOCK and MUTUAL are not compatible with currency.
        • Clean up some non-fatal asserts.
        • Developer documentation improvements.
        • Fix backend Sync errors not being reported.
        • Restore Date::Manip as an explicit dependency in gnc-fq-update; it's required for gnc-fq-helper, not Finance::Quote.
Translations Updated: Danish, Dutch, French, German.

Important update notification

If you are updating from gnucash 2.6.0-2.6.4 on linux, you are advised to remove the guile user cache or several parts of gnucash may fail to work properly. This user cache can be found in .cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/ in your home directory. It's safe to remove the whole contents of this directory.

Note .cache is a hidden folder in your home directory. You may have to change your file manager's settings in order to view hidden files and folders.

Documentation

Concurrent with the release of Gnucash 2.6.8 we're pleased to also release a new version 2.6.8 of the companion Help and Tutorial and Concepts Guide.

        • Extensive German Translation improvements -- Mechtilde Stehmann
        • Bug 705309 - A/R & A/P Need Warnings, Sales Tax Table and Billing Terms Editor need documentation -- Chris Good
        • Expand Help for Transfer Dialog, Multicurrency, and Price Editor -- John Ralls, David Carlson, Geert Janssens
Getting GnuCash for Windows (Win32 binary)

The Gnucash 2.6.8 Win32 setup executable can be downloaded from Sourceforge. It will install everything needed to run GnuCash.

Mac OSX binary

The Gnucash 2.6.8 MacOS X Intel and PPC packages can be downloaded from Sourceforge as well.

Getting GnuCash as source code

If you want to compile GnuCash 2.6.8 for yourself, the source code can be downloaded from:

        • Sourceforge: bzip2, all files.
        • You can also checkout the sources directly from the git repository as described here.
To compile GnuCash from the source code by yourself, you will need at least Gnome 2, Guile, and slib. In addition you will need swig if compiling from git. Please consult the README file in the sources for the exact list of dependencies and versions.

Reading the documentation online

An online version of the documentation is available on the Documentation page of the GnuCash website. The 2.6.8 documentation can be found under "GnuCash v2.6 (current stable release)" in multiple languages.

Getting GnuCash Documentation in pdf, epub or mobi formats

The documentation can equally be downloaded in pdf, epub or mobi formats from the Documentation page of the GnuCash website. The 2.6.8 documentation can be found under "GnuCash v2.6 (current stable release)" in multiple languages.

Getting GnuCash Documentation as source code

If you want to compile the GnuCash Documentation 2.6.8 for yourself, the source code can be downloaded from:

        • Sourceforge
        • You can also checkout the sources directly from the subversion repository as described here.
About the Program

GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first stable release was in 1998.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

GTI .H
Congratulations!

Good Job!

GTI

> [...]
>
> Getting GnuCash Documentation in pdf, epub or mobi formats
>
> The documentation can equally be downloaded in pdf, epub or mobi formats
> from the Documentation page of the GnuCash website. The 2.6.8 documentation
> can be found under "GnuCash v2.6 (current stable release)" in multiple
> languages.
>
> Getting GnuCash Documentation as source code
>
> If you want to compile the GnuCash Documentation 2.6.8 for yourself, the
> source code can be downloaded from:
>
>         • Sourceforge
>         • You can also checkout the sources directly from the subversion
> repository as described here.
> About the Program
>
> GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU
> General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris,
> Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and

Thanks a lot John!

Geert

On Sunday 27 September 2015 13:32:56 John Ralls wrote:

> [...]
>
> Getting GnuCash Documentation in pdf, epub or mobi formats
>
> The documentation can equally be downloaded in pdf, epub or mobi
> formats from the Documentation page of the GnuCash website. The 2.6.8
> documentation can be found under "GnuCash v2.6 (current stable
> release)" in multiple languages.
>
> Getting GnuCash Documentation as source code
>
> If you want to compile the GnuCash Documentation 2.6.8 for yourself,
> the source code can be downloaded from:
>
> • Sourceforge
> • You can also checkout the sources directly from the subversion
> repository as described here. About the Program
>
> GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the
> GNU General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD,
> Solaris, Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began
> in 1997, and its first stable release was in 1998.

Hi Michele,

You replied just for me and forgot to copy the list, then only I received
your question.

Answer: For me the page displays the new version normally.

Regards
GTI

[hidden email]>:

> Great but how can I download the new version?  your website only has 2.6.7
> Thanks
>
> *MICHELE *
>
> *This email and any attached files are confidential and may contain
> legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
> use, disclosure, forwarding, or copying of this email is UNAUTHORISED. If
> you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
> by reply email and delete the transmission and any attachments. Thank you.*
> *P Think green before you print this page.*

Gary Holtum
Website only downloads 2.6.7 for win.

gary

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

John Ralls-2

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 1:44 PM, Gary Holtum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Website only downloads 2.6.7 for win.

What website? I just checked www.gnucash.org and it links to gnucash-2.6.8-setup.exe, which in turn installs 2.6.8.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

randix
This post was updated on .
Ok, so I just upgraded.  Using Windows 10.

Everything seems to work ok, except for one thing.

When I go to try and save the data file using "Save As" off the File Menu, I'm unsuccessful, eg it hangs up with "Not responding" after I click the "Save As" command, and I have to kill the program.  Have tried it multiple times and same thing happens.  Have never had a problem previously saving the data file under another name.  Any ideas?

*To be clear, I go to the File Menu, Click Save As, then a box opens up showing me the current names of the data files, and asks me to enter the name of the new file.  I put in the new file name (in my case, Steve_Oct2015), and then when I click on the "Save As" dialog, that's when it hangs up.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

sunfish62
Steve,

Do you get the Save As dialog? If you don't see that, it may be that the dialog is hidden or off screen (perhaps on a phantom monitor)...

Check the task bar to see whether another process appears there but not on screen. ..

David

Steve <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ok, so I just upgraded.  Using Windows 10.
>
> Everything seems to work ok, except for one thing.
>
> When I go to try and save the data file using "Save As" off the File Menu,
> I'm unsuccessful, eg it hangs up with "Not responding" after I click the
> "Save As" command, and I have to kill the program.  Have tried it multiple
> times and same thing happens.  Have never had a problem previously saving
> the data file under another name.  Any ideas?

Someone came into IRC with the same complaint (I don't remember if they
said what version of Windows).  I suggested trying 2.6.7, but they
downgraded all the way to 2.4.15, so I didn't get a good test from
them.  :(

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Plutocrat
Just came through on getdeb repository.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Ron Schnatzmeyer
Getdeb repository doesn't seem to work.

I installed package 'getdeb'.
Ran 'sudo apt-get update'
Clicked the 'install this now' button.
It appeared to install but when I start it, it is version 2.6.1 dated
2014/02/19.
This is exactly what happened when I tried to install 2.6.7 from getdeb
and I ended up downloading the source and compiling.
No clue what I'm doing wrong.

On 09/30/2015 11:06 AM, Plutocrat wrote:

> Just came through on getdeb repository.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Tommy Trussell
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Ron Schnatzmeyer <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Getdeb repository doesn't seem to work.
>
> I installed package 'getdeb'.
> Ran 'sudo apt-get update'
> Clicked the 'install this now' button.
> It appeared to install but when I start it, it is version 2.6.1 dated
> 2014/02/19.
> This is exactly what happened when I tried to install 2.6.7 from getdeb
> and I ended up downloading the source and compiling.
> No clue what I'm doing wrong.

The getdeb package just puts the repository in apt for you, and it may not
have done it right.

Did you see any error messages when you ran sudo apt-get update?

If you are more comfortable with a GUI, open the Software Sources tool
(either from the Ubuntu control panel, or your favorite package manager)
and make sure the repository is correct for your system.

After you make a change, you can use these commands in a terminal:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ apt-cache policy gnucash

Here's what mine says right now:

$ apt-cache policy gnucash
gnucash:
  Installed: 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1
  Candidate: 1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1
  Version table:
     1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1 0
        500 http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ trusty-getdeb/apps amd64
Packages
 *** 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:2.6.1-2 0
        500 http://ftp.utexas.edu/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

NOTE that if you are NOT running "actual" Ubuntu (if you are running
Cinnamon, Mint, Peppermint, Bit-O-Honey, or whatever) you will want to
figure out what distro it's based on. Many are based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
"Trusty," but you need to know what your system is using if you are going
to use getdeb.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Tommy Trussell
It looks like getdeb.net is taking a beating right now so we may all have
to wait.

(It's a small volunteer project with limited capacity, so it often gets
really slow.)

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Allan
This is what I'm getting. Just a temporary server down? It's been at
least 4 hours... I'll try again later.

apt-get update
Err http://archive.getdeb.net trusty-getdeb/apps amd64 Packages
   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
Get:10 http://archive.ubuntu.com trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages [627
kB]
Err http://archive.getdeb.net trusty-getdeb/apps i386 Packages
   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
Get:11 http://security.ubuntu.com trusty-security/restricted amd64
Packages [12.4 kB]
Ign http://archive.getdeb.net trusty-getdeb/apps Translation-en_US
Get:12 http://security.ubuntu.com trusty-security/universe amd64
Packages [117 kB]
Ign http://archive.getdeb.net trusty-getdeb/apps Translation-en
W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/trusty-getdeb/apps/binary-amd64/Packages
521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/trusty-getdeb/apps/binary-i386/Packages
521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

On 09/30/2015 11:37 AM, Ron Schnatzmeyer wrote:

> Getdeb repository doesn't seem to work.
>
> I installed package 'getdeb'.
> Ran 'sudo apt-get update'
> Clicked the 'install this now' button.
> It appeared to install but when I start it, it is version 2.6.1 dated
> 2014/02/19.
> This is exactly what happened when I tried to install 2.6.7 from
> getdeb and I ended up downloading the source and compiling.
> No clue what I'm doing wrong.
>
> On 09/30/2015 11:06 AM, Plutocrat wrote:
>> Just came through on getdeb repository.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Ron Schnatzmeyer
I reran and yes there are some errors:

Err http://archive.getdeb.net rafaela-getdeb/apps amd64 Packages
   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
Err http://archive.getdeb.net rafaela-getdeb/apps i386 Packages
   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory
'/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/rafaela-getdeb/apps/binary-amd64/Packages

http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/rafaela-getdeb/apps/binary-i386/Packages
521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

I'm using Mint 17.2 with cinnamon. Do I need to do something different?
My understanding is Mint is based on Ubuntu.

apt-cache says this:
gnucash:
   Installed: 1:2.6.1-2
   Candidate: 1:2.6.1-2
   Version table:
  *** 1:2.6.1-2 0
         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

On 09/30/2015 02:41 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Ron Schnatzmeyer <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Getdeb repository doesn't seem to work.
>
>     I installed package 'getdeb'.
>     Ran 'sudo apt-get update'
>     Clicked the 'install this now' button.
>     It appeared to install but when I start it, it is version 2.6.1
>     dated 2014/02/19.
>     This is exactly what happened when I tried to install 2.6.7 from
>     getdeb and I ended up downloading the source and compiling.
>     No clue what I'm doing wrong.
>

> The getdeb package just puts the repository in apt for you, and it may
> not have done it right.
>
> Did you see any error messages when you ran sudo apt-get update?
>
> If you are more comfortable with a GUI, open the Software Sources tool
> (either from the Ubuntu control panel, or your favorite package
> manager) and make sure the repository is correct for your system.
>
> After you make a change, you can use these commands in a terminal:
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ apt-cache policy gnucash
>
> Here's what mine says right now:
>
> $ apt-cache policy gnucash
> gnucash:
>   Installed: 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1
>   Candidate: 1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1
>   Version table:
>      1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1 0
>         500 http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ trusty-getdeb/apps amd64
> Packages
>  *** 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      1:2.6.1-2 0
>         500 http://ftp.utexas.edu/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
>

> NOTE that if you are NOT running "actual" Ubuntu (if you are running
> Cinnamon, Mint, Peppermint, Bit-O-Honey, or whatever) you will want to
> figure out what distro it's based on. Many are based on Ubuntu 14.04
> LTS "Trusty," but you need to know what your system is using if you
> are going to use getdeb.
>
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Tommy Trussell
On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Ron Schnatzmeyer <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I reran and yes there are some errors:
>
> Err http://archive.getdeb.net rafaela-getdeb/apps amd64 Packages
>   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
> Err http://archive.getdeb.net rafaela-getdeb/apps i386 Packages
>   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
> N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/'
> as it has an invalid filename extension
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/rafaela-getdeb/apps/binary-amd64/Packages
> 521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/rafaela-getdeb/apps/binary-i386/Packages
> 521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
>
> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>
> I'm using Mint 17.2 with cinnamon. Do I need to do something different? My
> understanding is Mint is based on Ubuntu.
>
> apt-cache says this:
> gnucash:
>   Installed: 1:2.6.1-2
>   Candidate: 1:2.6.1-2
>   Version table:
>  *** 1:2.6.1-2 0
>         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
> Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/'
> as it has an invalid filename extension

The server has been really slow today (probably all of us downloading from
it) but I also suspect that they don't have a rafaela repository at getdeb.
You will want to go back to the Mint people to find out exactly what
version of Ubuntu your distro is based upon.

Most are based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty, so in that case you would edit
the two apt lines for getdeb to change "rafaela" to "trusty" on those two
lines. (Don't change it anywhere else.)

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Allan
On 09/30/2015 05:55 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> The server has been really slow today (probably all of us downloading
> from it) but I also suspect that they don't have a rafaela repository
> at getdeb. You will want to go back to the Mint people to find out
> exactly what version of Ubuntu your distro is based upon. Most are
> based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty, so in that case you would edit the
> two apt lines for getdeb to change "rafaela" to "trusty" on those two
> lines. (Don't change it anywhere else.)

As I said!

On 09/30/2015 12:17 AM, Allan wrote:

> But I read there are many dependencies to deal with. And I'm running
> Mint 17.,2/Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty.

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

randix
fyi, I just rolled back to GnuCash 2.6.7 from 2.6.8, and had NO PROBLEM using the SAVE AS command.  So apparently there's something in 2.68 that causes the issue...

Needless to say, I'll stick with 2.6.7.

fyi and fwiw

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Plutocrat
Ron Schnatzmeyer wrote on Thursday, 01 October, 2015 05:24 AM:
> I'm using Mint 17.2 with cinnamon. Do I need to do something different? My understanding is Mint is based on Ubuntu.

Also running Mint 17.2 here. Your 'apt-cache policy gnucash' command indicates you don't have the getdeb repositories properly installed. You're only being offered gnucash from the trusty/universe repository.

> apt-cache says this:
> gnucash:
>   Installed: 1:2.6.1-2
>   Candidate: 1:2.6.1-2
>   Version table:
>  *** 1:2.6.1-2 0
>         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

You could try installing the getdeb repository again. Or you could just add it manually by creating a file called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list and adding the following line in it:

deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu trusty-getdeb apps

(you'd need to do this using root permissions. eg. sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list )

Once you have that, do another 'apt-get update' and check with 'apt-cache policy gnucash'. You should see 2.6.8 as a candidate as well as the 2.6.1 version. (see below)
then 'apt-get upgrade'

Watch for errors during the update process. If it mentions a key error, you may have to re-add the getdeb keys.

P.

For reference, my policy output is this.

> ~ $ apt-cache policy gnucash
> gnucash:
>   Installed: 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1
>   Candidate: 1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1
>   Version table:
>      1:2.6.8-1~getdeb1 0
>         500 http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ trusty-getdeb/apps amd64 Packages
>  *** 1:2.6.7-1~getdeb1 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      1:2.6.1-2 0
>         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

Re: GnuCash 2.6.8 released

Plutocrat
Sorry. Just saw this

Ron Schnatzmeyer wrote on Thursday, 01 October, 2015 05:24 AM:
> Err http://archive.getdeb.net rafaela-getdeb/apps amd64 Packages
>   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
> Err http://archive.getdeb.net rafaela-getdeb/apps i386 Packages
>   521  Origin Down [IP: 104.28.24.125 80]
> N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension

OK, so it looks like you might also have the wrong repository installed. The one that works for me is as previously indicated (Mint 17.2 is based on Ubuntu 14), so change the line in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list
to read.

deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu trusty-getdeb apps

You can also delete this duplicate file if you like.
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list.bck

P.
12