GnuCash 2.2.0 Released

Chris Lyttle

      GnuCash 2.2.0 released

The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.2.0, the new
stable release of the GnuCash Open Source Accounting Software. With this
new release series, GnuCash is available on Microsoft Windows for the
first time, and it also runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX.

        Download:

    * http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192 (Source
      code and Windows binary)
    * http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/ (Source code only)

        What's New in GnuCash 2.2.0?

This release has only a few user-visible new features, except for the
completed port to the Microsoft Windows operating system. In summary,
the following features are new, compared to the older 2.0.x series:

    * Port to Microsoft Windows completed.
    * *Data file notice*: In version 2.1.2 the format for scheduled
      transactions in the data file was changed. Files using the old
      format will be read without problems by this new version, but the
      new version of GnuCash only writes the new format. The new file
      format cannot be loaded by older versions of GnuCash. (If you try,
      the file will fail to be loaded with an error message.) As a
      result, if you begin using the new Gnucash, and you have data
      files with scheduled transactions, then these files will not be
      readable by older versions. If you have to make a new data file
      readable by older versions of GnuCash, this can be achived by
      deleting all records of scheduled transactions in the scheduled
      transaction editor.
    * SWIG is now used instead of g-wrap for providing language bindings.
    * The Scheduled Transaction list view is now improved and summarized
      more compactly. The Since-Last-Run dialog has been simplified.
    * Check printing has been improved, with new formats and simpler
      format descriptions.
    * Automatic saving of the data file was added

Bugfixes and improvements since the last version 2.1.5 include:

    * Updated translations
    * Improved DLL handling on Windows
    * Improved handling of Online Banking on Windows

        How can you help?

    * We would like to encourage people to test this and any further
      releases as much as possible and submit bug reports in order that
      we can continuously polish GnuCash to be as stable as possible.
      Simply post any bugs you find to bugzilla
      http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash
    * If you have the urge to help beyond testing please get involved in
      the discussions on the GnuCash mailing lists which you will find
      at http://www.gnucash.org. We especially need people to help with
      updating the documentation. Please see
      http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development on how to get involved.
    * Translating: The new release comes with some new translation
      strings. If you consider contributing a translation, we invite you
      to work with the translation template in this package. Our
      development is in String Freeze now, so you can safely work on our
      translation. Please check
      http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation_Status for updates on this.

        Getting GnuCash

GnuCash 2.2.0 can be downloaded from gnucash.org and sourceforge.net. It
is available as source code and as self-installing setup program for
Windows which includes all necessary additional libraries.

To install GnuCash, users will need Gnome 2, guile, and slib. Neither
the currently used swig nor the previously used g-wrap packages are
needed anymore when compiling from tarball or when installing a binary.
The Windows version requires Windows 2000, XP, or Vista; GnuCash does
not run on Windows 98 or 95.

    * http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192 (Source
      code and Windows binary)
    * http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/ (Source code only)

        About the Program

GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU
General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris,
Mac OSX, and Microsoft Windows. It is collaboratively developed by 12
people from over 5 countries.

Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first stable release was
in 1998.

Re: GnuCash 2.2.0 Released

Ronal B Morse
On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 14:27 -0600, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> GnuCash 2.2.0 released
>
> The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.2.0, the new
> stable release of the GnuCash Open Source Accounting Software. With this
> new release series, GnuCash is available on Microsoft Windows for the
> first time, and it also runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX.
>
> *** remainder redacted ***

First, congratulations on the new release. Well done to all. I know you
don't get to hear it often enough, but we really appreciate your
efforts .

Second, I can't build 2.2 on Kubuntu 7.04.  Configure abends with the
"can't find SLIB, are you sure it is installed" error. I've checked the
web page referenced by the error message, but confess is it beyond my
ken. So, it appears I will remain (happily) on 2.0.5 until someone
assembles the appropriate binary for the rest of us.

Ron Morse

Re: GnuCash 2.2.0 Released

Dinesh Dutt
Did you try with guile 1.6 ? I had the same problem with guile 1.8, but not
with 1.6 (also install the associated 1.6 slib).

Dinesh
On Monday 16 July 2007 06:05:10 Ron Morse wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 14:27 -0600, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> > GnuCash 2.2.0 released
> >
> > The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.2.0, the new
> > stable release of the GnuCash Open Source Accounting Software. With this
> > new release series, GnuCash is available on Microsoft Windows for the
> > first time, and it also runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX.
> >
> > *** remainder redacted ***
>
> First, congratulations on the new release. Well done to all. I know you
> don't get to hear it often enough, but we really appreciate your
> efforts .
>
> Second, I can't build 2.2 on Kubuntu 7.04.  Configure abends with the
> "can't find SLIB, are you sure it is installed" error. I've checked the
> web page referenced by the error message, but confess is it beyond my
> ken. So, it appears I will remain (happily) on 2.0.5 until someone
> assembles the appropriate binary for the rest of us.
>
> Ron Morse

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by
the depth of our answers.                               - Carl Sagan

Re: GnuCash 2.2.0 Released

Dinesh Dutt
Did you try with guile 1.6 ? I had the same problem with guile 1.8, but not
with 1.6 (also install the associated 1.6 slib).

Dinesh
On Monday 16 July 2007 06:05:10 Ron Morse wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 14:27 -0600, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> > GnuCash 2.2.0 released
> >
> > The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.2.0, the new
> > stable release of the GnuCash Open Source Accounting Software. With this
> > new release series, GnuCash is available on Microsoft Windows for the
> > first time, and it also runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX.
> >
> > *** remainder redacted ***
>
> First, congratulations on the new release. Well done to all. I know you
> don't get to hear it often enough, but we really appreciate your
> efforts .
>
> Second, I can't build 2.2 on Kubuntu 7.04.  Configure abends with the
> "can't find SLIB, are you sure it is installed" error. I've checked the
> web page referenced by the error message, but confess is it beyond my
> ken. So, it appears I will remain (happily) on 2.0.5 until someone
> assembles the appropriate binary for the rest of us.
>
> Ron Morse

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by
the depth of our answers.                               - Carl Sagan

Re: GnuCash 2.2.0 Released

Ronal B Morse
Removing Guile 1.8 worked spectacularly well. Gnucash 2.2 is now
installed and functioning well. Thank you.

Ron Morse

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 13:51 -0700, Dinesh Dutt wrote:

> Did you try with guile 1.6 ? I had the same problem with guile 1.8, but not
> with 1.6 (also install the associated 1.6 slib).
>
> Dinesh
> On Monday 16 July 2007 06:05:10 Ron Morse wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 14:27 -0600, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> > > GnuCash 2.2.0 released
> > >
> > > The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.2.0, the new
> > > stable release of the GnuCash Open Source Accounting Software. With this
> > > new release series, GnuCash is available on Microsoft Windows for the
> > > first time, and it also runs on GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX.
> > >
> > > *** remainder redacted ***
> >
> > First, congratulations on the new release. Well done to all. I know you
> > don't get to hear it often enough, but we really appreciate your
> > efforts .
> >
> > Second, I can't build 2.2 on Kubuntu 7.04.  Configure abends with the
> > "can't find SLIB, are you sure it is installed" error. I've checked the
> > web page referenced by the error message, but confess is it beyond my
> > ken. So, it appears I will remain (happily) on 2.0.5 until someone
> > assembles the appropriate binary for the rest of us.
> >
> > Ron Morse

Re: GnuCash 2.2.0 Released

Jesse C
This should probably end up in the wiki . . .