Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber
Most accounts receivable (AR) procedures use some variant of invoices and statements.  Gnucash invoice procedures are apparently very good (we have not yet tested enough, hence “apparently”). Two weeks of exploring have not, however, enabled us to find the “statement” logic and procedures.  We may simply not know how to look or what Gnucash calls it/them.
While some customers pay by invoice, most need a periodic document  that summarizes open invoices, payments, and a current balance, usually called a “statement.”  Where is that concept made operational in Gnucash?

Re: Generating Customer Bills

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

On Mon, March 4, 2013 5:16 pm, HerbEber wrote:

> Most accounts receivable (AR) procedures use some variant of invoices and
> statements.  Gnucash invoice procedures are apparently very good (we have
> not yet tested enough, hence “apparently”). Two weeks of exploring
> have not,
> however, enabled us to find the “statement” logic and procedures.  We
> may
> simply not know how to look or what Gnucash calls it/them.
> While some customers pay by invoice, most need a periodic document  that
> summarizes open invoices, payments, and a current balance, usually called
> “statement.”  Where is that concept made operational in Gnucash?

Reports -> Business-> Customer Report

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

RE: Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber
Wow! Just like that comes a compound invoice which contains what some of us literalists have called a statement. Thanks, Derek. I'll be back when next I get stuck.
Herb

On Mon, March 4, 2013 5:16 pm, HerbEber wrote:

> Most accounts receivable (AR) procedures use some variant of invoices
> and statements.  Gnucash invoice procedures are apparently very good
> (we have not yet tested enough, hence “apparently”). Two weeks of
> exploring have not, however, enabled us to find the “statement”
> logic and procedures.  We may simply not know how to look or what
> Gnucash calls it/them.
> While some customers pay by invoice, most need a periodic document
> that summarizes open invoices, payments, and a current balance,
> usually called a “statement.”  Where is that concept made
> operational in Gnucash?

Reports -> Business-> Customer Report

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

RE: Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber
Derek,
Had to absorb and work with what you gave us; thanks. Now, a "simple" question:

Given that invoices are stored as "not easily visible subaccounts in the "AR ..." account, how do I get a status listing of what is there.  I know that printing a customer's record cane show multiple invoices and payments, with a balance. How do I display all (or a defined subset of) customers? A similar task: how do I print monthly (or such) bills, 1 for each customer (with a non-zero balance)?

Enough for now.  Thanks.
Herb Eber

On Mon, March 4, 2013 5:16 pm, HerbEber wrote:

> Most accounts receivable (AR) procedures use some variant of invoices
> and statements.  Gnucash invoice procedures are apparently very good
> (we have not yet tested enough, hence “apparently”). Two weeks of
> exploring have not, however, enabled us to find the “statement”
> logic and procedures.  We may simply not know how to look or what
> Gnucash calls it/them.
> While some customers pay by invoice, most need a periodic document
> that summarizes open invoices, payments, and a current balance,
> usually called a “statement.”  Where is that concept made
> operational in Gnucash?

Reports -> Business-> Customer Report

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

RE: Generating Customer Bills

Derek Atkins-3
Sounds like you want the Receivable Aging report.

-derek

On Tue, March 12, 2013 1:39 pm, Herbert W. Eber wrote:

> Derek,
> Had to absorb and work with what you gave us; thanks. Now, a "simple"
> question:
>
> Given that invoices are stored as "not easily visible subaccounts in the
> "AR ..." account, how do I get a status listing of what is there.  I know
> that printing a customer's record cane show multiple invoices and
> payments, with a balance. How do I display all (or a defined subset of)
> customers? A similar task: how do I print monthly (or such) bills, 1 for
> each customer (with a non-zero balance)?
>
> Enough for now.  Thanks.
> Herb Eber

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

RE: Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber
Derek,
Now that you pointed me to the AR technology and I have some ARs, the
receivables aging report is ideal for one of the questions I asked.  The
other is:

How can I prepare the end of month (or whatever time) bills to send to a
non-trivial number of customers whose AR accounts are up to date and show a
non zero balance/  One at a time?  I hope not.

Herb

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
> Now that you pointed me to the AR technology and I have some ARs, the
> receivables aging report is ideal for one of the questions I asked.  The
> other is:
>
> How can I prepare the end of month (or whatever time) bills to send to a
> non-trivial number of customers whose AR accounts are up to date and show a
> non zero balance/  One at a time?  I hope not.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to mass create invoices.  You can
duplicate older invoices to effectively re-issue new invoices, but you
still need to do it one-at-a-time.  When I wrote the code I wrote it for
my usage, which was a consultant with a small number of concurrent
customers, so invoicing wasn't a common task, and repetative invoicing
was a non-existing task.

> Herb

RE: Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber
Derek,
Thanks for such rapid replies.  I meanwhile have started printing the
manual, discovering that it reads better than it jumps around in "modern"
style.  This may result in fewer questions.

As for the limited invoicing (and statement) capacity, I now understand.
Indeed, I can live with it for the Lions Club which has 60 members, half of
whom pay in the first month, the rest bye and bye; we typically send 20-odd
second notices about 3-4 months into the FY and raise hell with the laggards
3 months later.  GNU-cash can easily support that pattern.

I am curious why others in the group have not done it.  Seems like some
bright hustler might have incorporated into a systematic set of auxiliary
procs reading the data from a Gnu system and producing whatever he wants.
Perhaps that has happened; I know so little of my contemporary history
having been busy as a cockroach in my bailiwick.

Again, thanks
Herb

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
> Now that you pointed me to the AR technology and I have some ARs, the
> receivables aging report is ideal for one of the questions I asked.
> The other is:
>
> How can I prepare the end of month (or whatever time) bills to send to
> a non-trivial number of customers whose AR accounts are up to date and
> show a non zero balance/  One at a time?  I hope not.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to mass create invoices.  You can
duplicate older invoices to effectively re-issue new invoices, but you still
need to do it one-at-a-time.  When I wrote the code I wrote it for my usage,
which was a consultant with a small number of concurrent customers, so
invoicing wasn't a common task, and repetative invoicing was a non-existing
task.

> Herb

RE: Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber
Another branch:
Suppose my books now manage AR-members, consisting of reconstructed entries
and it all works - EXCEPT that some entries are wrong.  Good old Joe paid
his dues when the treasurer was mentally elsewhwere and so I need to correct
his AR.  Bus->Cus->P credits cash and thus is wrong; an attempt to post a
negative amount (accounting-ly logically correct) is rejected. Again, I am
sure that this is not a previously unfaced problem. Can you (again) point me
in the right direction?

Thanks - Herb

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
> Now that you pointed me to the AR technology and I have some ARs, the
> receivables aging report is ideal for one of the questions I asked.
> The other is:
>
> How can I prepare the end of month (or whatever time) bills to send to
> a non-trivial number of customers whose AR accounts are up to date and
> show a non zero balance/  One at a time?  I hope not.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to mass create invoices.  You can
duplicate older invoices to effectively re-issue new invoices, but you still
need to do it one-at-a-time.  When I wrote the code I wrote it for my usage,
which was a consultant with a small number of concurrent customers, so
invoicing wasn't a common task, and repetative invoicing was a non-existing
task.

> Herb

Re: Generating Customer Bills

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Another branch:
> Suppose my books now manage AR-members, consisting of reconstructed entries
> and it all works - EXCEPT that some entries are wrong.  Good old Joe paid
> his dues when the treasurer was mentally elsewhwere and so I need to correct
> his AR.  Bus->Cus->P credits cash and thus is wrong; an attempt to post a
> negative amount (accounting-ly logically correct) is rejected. Again, I am
> sure that this is not a previously unfaced problem. Can you (again) point me
> in the right direction?

Delete the incorrect transaction and Process Payment correctly.

> Thanks - Herb

-derek

Your answer implies that our books are “done in pencil” i.e. alterable to correct errors. “Correct” errors, not correct the effects.  Some accountants I know would have kittens.  What used to be called “pen and ink” created a permanent record, warts and all, and then recorded needed (and performed) corrections.

All of this assumes that, in GNUcash, altering an erroneous entry does not leave indelible tracks.  Does it?  I cannot tell and this brings me to my concern: GNUcash does superb things automatically; it does not (to my knowledge) enable user easily to manipulate known parameters.  E.g., How can I change the placement of information on a report?  Sometimes, by altering font size with GNUcash automatically adjusting margins, border, boxes etc.  Now trial and error is not a bad way to do forms design (nor particularly good either) but in more precise areas, parameters are crucial.  My discomfort is based on my difficulty in parameterizing what GNUseems to be doing.

Is this on purpose?  I may be overinterpreting but it seems to me that the change from programs to “apps” has been accompanied by laxness in the structures in many cases.  On the other hand, 35 years in Windows World may have left me incapable of shifting gears to Linux/Unix/whatever superlogic may be behind the structures.

In the 1960-80s, we used to joke about revising the problem to become something that IBM can solve; it was, like most jokes, not devoid of a germ of truth.   Many times, that is a legitimate approach if it will lead to the useful results.

I have already learned from you that sometimes the answer is in precise attention to a seemingly broad statement the manuals.  Other suggestions are welcome. Oh, and as to “corrections,” is the evidence of what was done remain?

Herb

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Another branch:
> Suppose my books now manage AR-members, consisting of reconstructed entries
> and it all works - EXCEPT that some entries are wrong.  Good old Joe paid
> his dues when the treasurer was mentally elsewhwere and so I need to correct
> his AR.  Bus->Cus->P credits cash and thus is wrong; an attempt to post a
> negative amount (accounting-ly logically correct) is rejected. Again, I am
> sure that this is not a previously unfaced problem. Can you (again) point me
> in the right direction?

Delete the incorrect transaction and Process Payment correctly.

> Thanks - Herb

-derek

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Generating-Customer-Bills-tp4660305p4660748.html

To unsubscribe from Generating Customer Bills, click here.
NAML

Liz

Re: Generating Customer Bills

Liz
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
HerbEber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your answer implies that our books are "done in pencil" i.e.
> alterable to correct errors. "Correct" errors, not correct the
> effects.  Some accountants I know would have kittens.  What used to
> be called "pen and ink" created a permanent record, warts and all,
> and then recorded needed (and performed) corrections.

Alas, one cannot achieve the same in any form of computerised
recordkeeping. Leaving the original transaction and placing a reversing
transaction was of course correct.
The only way you can show that a computerised record is unchanged from
the date of creation involves a notarising service which effectively
countersigns a digital mark of the file at a particular time and date.

I believe that you wanted in your most recent question, to create a
credit note, as your answer to the mistake made in the data entry. At
the moment, credit notes are not available in Gnucash.

As your original question was phrased as 'how do I handle a data entry
error?", in the computerised world you correct your error.
If you had asked "does Gnucash do a credit note?" you would have got a
different answer.

RE: Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber
Derek,
Much time elapsed; things you suggested have helped.  New question:

One of my ARmembers (in the A/R system) found an error, a charge that should not be there.  I discovered that if I unpost the invoice, the impact on the books seems to disappear i.e. as if the entry were not in the books.  BUT it is still there, just unposted. Can I simply leave a few such as they are or will that impair the system?

Thanks
Herb

Most accounts receivable (AR) procedures use some variant of invoices and statements.  Gnucash invoice procedures are apparently very good (we have not yet tested enough, hence “apparently”). Two weeks of exploring have not, however, enabled us to find the “statement” logic and procedures.  We may simply not know how to look or what Gnucash calls it/them.
While some customers pay by invoice, most need a periodic document  that summarizes open invoices, payments, and a current balance, usually called a “statement.”  Where is that concept made operational in Gnucash?

Re: Generating Customer Bills

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
> Much time elapsed; things you suggested have helped.  New question:
>
> One of my ARmembers (in the A/R system) found an error, a charge that
> should not be there.  I discovered that if I unpost the invoice, the
> impact on the books seems to disappear i.e. as if the entry were not
> in the books.  BUT it is still there, just unposted. Can I simply
> leave a few such as they are or will that impair the system?
>
> Thanks
> Herb

An unposted invoice has no effect on your chart of accounts.  You can
leave them hanging around or you can reuse them later.  All it's doing
is taking up disk space and memory, so the only impairment it might have
is slowing down loading and searching a bit.

-derek

Every time I get disgusted with GNU-cash (and/or myself) for being unable to do what I want, I come back to try again because so much is so excellent that there MUST be a way to do ...

When I write you and receive a rapid clear response, I am further convinced to keep on.  Thanks; now may I ask 2 (really 4) questions?

1) If I want to delete unposted invoices, is that simply find them in the A/Rmembers account and delete?  Any special tricks involved?

2) new subject: Can I control info placement on a style sheet so that, e.g., I can adapt to ythe needs of a window envelope? Chapter 13 is not clear enough for me; what do I need to know?

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
> Much time elapsed; things you suggested have helped.  New question:
>
> One of my ARmembers (in the A/R system) found an error, a charge that
> should not be there.  I discovered that if I unpost the invoice, the
> impact on the books seems to disappear i.e. as if the entry were not
> in the books.  BUT it is still there, just unposted. Can I simply
> leave a few such as they are or will that impair the system?
>
> Thanks
> Herb

An unposted invoice has no effect on your chart of accounts.  You can leave them hanging around or you can reuse them later.  All it's doing is taking up disk space and memory, so the only impairment it might have is slowing down loading and searching a bit.

-derek

Maf. King
On Thu 11 July 13 13:14:11 Herbert W. Eber wrote:

> Derek,
> Every time I get disgusted with GNU-cash (and/or myself) for being unable to
> do what I want, I come back to try again because so much is so excellent
> that there MUST be a way to do ...
>
> When I write you and receive a rapid clear response, I am further convinced
> to keep on.  Thanks; now may I ask 2 (really 4) questions?
>
> 1) If I want to delete unposted invoices, is that simply find them in the
> A/Rmembers account and delete?  Any special tricks involved?

Hi Herb,

If you have created an invoice for test purposes, the data object can't be
deleted out of the gnucash datafile (at least, not without hacking about in
the file manually, and do that at your peril!).  Think in terms of tearing a
page out of an old-style invoice book, but never actually filling it in or
sending it - the page doesn't cease to exist just because you didn't fill it
out and put the carbon copy in your sales ledger.

What you can do, though, is find it (through Business->Customer->Find Invoice
[search for unposted invoices]) then assign it to a different customer (or
same customer but new invoice number/date etc). Then fill out the invoice
lines as required and finally post it back into the A/R account.  Think of it
as picking up that blank page and finally using it!

> 2) new subject: Can I control info placement on a style sheet so that,
e.g.,
> I can adapt to ythe needs of a window envelope? Chapter 13 is not clear
> enough for me; what do I need to know?

Can't help with this one, though.

HTH,
Maf.

Re: Generating Customer Bills

Buddha Buck
On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Herbert W. Eber <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1)      If I want to delete unposted invoices, is that simply find them in
> the A/Rmembers account and delete?  Any special tricks involved?

Invoices, by and of themselves, are tracked separately from the Chart of
Accounts.  They are sort of an adjunct to "the books", as it were.

When you post an invoice, it adds a transaction (or more) to the A/R
account.
When you unpost an invoice, it removes those transactions from the A/R
account.

An invoice which is not posted (either because it was never posted, or
because it was unposted) leaves no trace in "the books".  It's as if it
doesn't exist for A/R tracking.

Invoices cannot be deleted in any approved way.  You can of course go and
muck about with the data file itself but that way lies madness.  You can,
however, mark and invoice as "inactive" and it won't show up on most
queries.

Derek also suggested reusing invoices that haven't been posted for other
stuff as a way to get old inactive unposted invoices out of your system.

RE: Generating Customer Bills

HerbEber

Hi again,

Time passes; some things work; some I abandon; some I defer; one such:

How can I alter/control the spacing on a style sheet, most particularly the length in lines?  Can I insert a page feed after a certain number of lines?  A second (or more) page header?

I assume that there is a standard ref, perhaps even for dummies, but this dummy needs guidance.
Thanks.

Herb Eber

"Herbert W. Eber" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Derek,
> Much time elapsed; things you suggested have helped.  New question:
>
> One of my ARmembers (in the A/R system) found an error, a charge that
> should not be there.  I discovered that if I unpost the invoice, the
> impact on the books seems to disappear i.e. as if the entry were not
> in the books.  BUT it is still there, just unposted. Can I simply
> leave a few such as they are or will that impair the system?
>
> Thanks
> Herb

An unposted invoice has no effect on your chart of accounts.  You can
leave them hanging around or you can reuse them later.  All it's doing
is taking up disk space and memory, so the only impairment it might have
is slowing down loading and searching a bit.

-derek

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Generating-Customer-Bills-tp4660305p4663024.html

To unsubscribe from Generating Customer Bills, click here.
NAML

Re: Generating Customer Bills

Robert Smits
On July 11, 2013 10:14:11 am Herbert W. Eber wrote:

> Derek,
> Every time I get disgusted with GNU-cash (and/or myself) for being unable
> to do what I want, I come back to try again because so much is so excellent
> that there MUST be a way to do ...
>
> When I write you and receive a rapid clear response, I am further convinced
> to keep on.  Thanks; now may I ask 2 (really 4) questions?
>
> 1) If I want to delete unposted invoices, is that simply find them in the
> A/Rmembers account and delete?  Any special tricks involved?
>
> 2) new subject: Can I control info placement on a style sheet so that,
> e.g., I can adapt to ythe needs of a window envelope? Chapter 13 is not
> clear enough for me; what do I need to know?

Although this is an old message I didn't see any replies to it.

What you do is make up an invoice and print it.

Then create a style sheet and when next you try to print the invoice, select
the style sheet, and print.

I find by manipulating the pacement of the logo and header files in the style
sheet images, I can adjust where the printer starts the address line.

--
Bob Smits <[hidden email]>
"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO is the