GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

tomislav
I'm using Android Gnucash 2.1.7

I'm able to export QIF files easily, however there doesn't seem to be any way to export an OFX file as advertised on the description of the app on playstore.

I am using these steps
1. click menu top left
2. select export
only radio option appears for Format QIF / XML
there is no apparent options anywhere for OFX

Anyone clear about how to do this? Any insights would be appreciated.

thanks!

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

John Ralls-2

> On May 7, 2017, at 3:27 PM, tomislav <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm using Android Gnucash 2.1.7
>
> I'm able to export QIF files easily, however there doesn't seem to be any
> way to export an OFX file as advertised on the description of the app on
> playstore.
>
> I am using these steps
> 1. click menu top left
> 2. select export
> only radio option appears for Format QIF / XML
> there is no apparent options anywhere for OFX
>
> Anyone clear about how to do this? Any insights would be appreciated.

GnuCash for Android isn't GnuCash. Their support forum is https://plus.google.com/communities/104728406764752407046.

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Interesting... Shouldn't our homepage say that such software isn't
supported by us?

Besides, it's a shame that they use Google Groups, because it forces the
website visitor to use non-free software automatically (through
JavaScript). Essentially, they *might* be missrepresenting a GNU
project.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

John Ralls

> On May 11, 2017, at 8:19 PM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting... Shouldn't our homepage say that such software isn't
> supported by us?
>
> Besides, it's a shame that they use Google Groups, because it forces the
> website visitor to use non-free software automatically (through
> JavaScript). Essentially, they *might* be missrepresenting a GNU
> project.

Neither GnuCash (in spite of its name) nor GnuCash for Android have any association with the GNU project beyond using the GPL.

Our webpage makes no mention of GfA, though perhaps it should.

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

Adonay Felipe Nogueira
About GnuCash's association with GNU project: Interesting... the
following pages tell me otherwise:

- [[http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html#allgnupkgs]].

- [[http://www.gnu.org/manual/blurbs.html#gnucash]].

- [[http://www.gnu.org/graphics/package-logos.html]].

- [[http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html#Business]].

- [[http://www.gnu.org/software/gnucash/]].

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

Adrien Monteleone

> On May 12, 2017, at 6:06 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2017, at 8:19 PM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting... Shouldn't our homepage say that such software isn't
>> supported by us?
>>
>> Besides, it's a shame that they use Google Groups, because it forces the
>> website visitor to use non-free software automatically (through
>> JavaScript). Essentially, they *might* be missrepresenting a GNU
>> project.
>
> Neither GnuCash (in spite of its name) nor GnuCash for Android have any association with the GNU project beyond using the GPL.
>
> Our webpage makes no mention of GfA, though perhaps it should.

Perhaps I’m confused now with a different topic but I just looked at the website.

It’s right there at the bottom, above News:

"GnuCash for Android

The GnuCash team recommends the GnuCash for Android app. This app allows you to keep track of your financial transactions on the go for later import into the desktop version of GnuCash.

Note that GnuCash for Android is not a port of the GnuCash program to Android."

There’s also a banner link to get it on the Google Play Store.

I would suspect people will be coming to the user mailing list looking for help with the Android app considering how this is presented, especially with getting data into the desktop version. Maybe the last sentence was intended to convey this but I would say it is not very clear.

Maybe something along the lines of it being an independent project and to seek help there would do the trick.

just my few ¢,

-Adrien

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

> On May 12, 2017, at 8:55 AM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> About GnuCash's association with GNU project: Interesting... the
> following pages tell me otherwise:
>
> - [[http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html#allgnupkgs]].
>
> - [[http://www.gnu.org/manual/blurbs.html#gnucash]].
>
> - [[http://www.gnu.org/graphics/package-logos.html]].
>
> - [[http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html#Business]].
>
> - [[http://www.gnu.org/software/gnucash/]].

Most of which redirect to www.gnucash.org.

GnuCash is, and has long been, one of the most popular Free software programs so it's not terribly surprising that the GNU project's PR folks want to claim that we have something to do with them. We don't, though we're certainly grateful for the publicity. There's a real simple test to prove the point: Look at the copyright statements on any file: The copyright is retained by the authors, not assigned to the FSF as required of GNU member projects.

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

> On May 12, 2017, at 9:49 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On May 12, 2017, at 6:06 AM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 11, 2017, at 8:19 PM, Adonay Felipe Nogueira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting... Shouldn't our homepage say that such software isn't
>>> supported by us?
>>>
>>> Besides, it's a shame that they use Google Groups, because it forces the
>>> website visitor to use non-free software automatically (through
>>> JavaScript). Essentially, they *might* be missrepresenting a GNU
>>> project.
>>
>> Neither GnuCash (in spite of its name) nor GnuCash for Android have any association with the GNU project beyond using the GPL.
>>
>> Our webpage makes no mention of GfA, though perhaps it should.
>
> Perhaps I’m confused now with a different topic but I just looked at the website.
>
> It’s right there at the bottom, above News:
>
> "GnuCash for Android
>
> The GnuCash team recommends the GnuCash for Android app. This app allows you to keep track of your financial transactions on the go for later import into the desktop version of GnuCash.
>
> Note that GnuCash for Android is not a port of the GnuCash program to Android."
>
> There’s also a banner link to get it on the Google Play Store.
>
> I would suspect people will be coming to the user mailing list looking for help with the Android app considering how this is presented, especially with getting data into the desktop version. Maybe the last sentence was intended to convey this but I would say it is not very clear.
>
> Maybe something along the lines of it being an independent project and to seek help there would do the trick.
>
> just my few ¢,

Dang, you're right. I don't know how I managed to not see that.

We need to add links to GfA's support and bug tracker in that box.

Re: GNUCash Android: how to unable to export OFX

Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Copyright assignments to FSF are not required for GNU projects. They are
recommended, though.

They are recommended because the copyright holders have the option of
agreeing to stand up for the free/libre software movement, defending it
accordingly, and in such case, they can keep the current copyrights. See
[[http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html#whatmeans]], where it says:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
For a program to be GNU software does not require transferring copyright
to the FSF; that is a separate question. If you transfer the copyright
to the FSF, the FSF will enforce the GPL for the program if someone
violates it; if you keep the copyright, enforcement will be up to you.
#+END_QUOTE

Also, if I recall correctly, if a GNU project is decomissioned, it
should appear at [[http://www.gnu.org/software/]], but in the
"Decomissioned GNU packages" section.

Respectfully, Adonay.