GNUCASH Trial From QB - Reports Quirks

Dominic Grosleau
Good Day - I am currently running a migration trial from QuickBooks to GNUCASH 2.4.11 and would like to know how to display standard financial report headers on 3 lines such as.:

COMPANY NAME
Balance Sheet
December 31, 200x

Which are the default report headers in QuickBooks, Quicken, and Simply Accounting...

As it stands right now, it seems like all that I can do with gnucash is display a report with a 1-liner header such as:

Balance Sheet, 12/31/2013

As well, I would be grateful to pointers on how to modify report calculations.  As it stands, my example balance sheet report displays Assets of $101.00, Liability of $0.00, 2 Equity accounts (305.20 and 149.22) then states Retained losses of 353.42, Total Equity of 101.00 and a Total Liability & Equity of 101.00     ..... I suspect a miscalculation somewhere ...

Anyone willing to provide me with some help?   When reading the WIKI it talked about modifying report scheme files but I dont know that programming language.

Re: GNUCASH Trial From QB - Reports Quirks

Mike or Penny Novack
Multiple questions:

Dominic Grosleau wrote:

Question 1

>Good Day - I am currently running a migration trial from QuickBooks to GNUCASH 2.4.11 and would like to know how to display standard financial report headers on 3 lines such as.:
>
>COMPANY NAME
>Balance Sheet
>December 31, 200x
>
>Which are the default report headers in QuickBooks, Quicken, and Simply Accounting...
>
>As it stands right now, it seems like all that I can do with gnucash is display a report with a 1-liner header such as:
>
>Balance Sheet, 12/31/2013

I assume the (general) question you meant to ask was "how do I change
the title of (as opposed to the name of) a report?"

   OK, I don't know about making one line into three WITHIN gnucash.
That presumably would require programming. But you can change the title
of this (or other) reports so it would be easy to have company name,
report title of your choice, date on one line using report options.
There is a broader question here about WHERE "pretty print" editing of
reports belongs, within the application or outside of it . When I first
got involved using gnucash I asked the accountant if I should write
custom reports because I had made my living writing software (and while
not knowing SCHEME, well heck, I do know LISP and after your first half
dozen languages what's picking up another dialect). He said, "Don't
bother Mike. Just give me the reports as exported by gnucash and like
any other accountant, I'll use my preferred editor to massage, add
notes, add fixed text, etc." The point I am making here is modifying the
reports really does call for a full power editor and unclear that one of
those belongs INSIDE an accounting application.
    << In other words, consider your requested editing power to be NOT
just the specific change you wanted to see but ANY change you might want
to see >>

>As well, I would be grateful to pointers on how to modify report calculations.  As it stands, my example balance sheet report displays Assets of $101.00, Liability of $0.00, 2 Equity accounts (305.20 and 149.22) then states Retained losses of 353.42, Total Equity of 101.00 and a Total Liability & Equity of 101.00     ..... I suspect a miscalculation somewhere ...

Why do you suspect a miscalculation? 305.20 + 149.22 - 353.42 =
101.00         and 101.00 = 0 + 101.01

Michael

Re: GNUCASH Trial From QB - Reports Quirks

Maf. King
On Sun 4 August 13 18:07:00 Dominic Grosleau wrote:

> Good Day - I am currently running a migration trial from QuickBooks to
> GNUCASH 2.4.11 and would like to know how to display standard financial
> report headers on 3 lines such as.:
>
> COMPANY NAME
> Balance Sheet
> December 31, 200x
>
> Which are the default report headers in QuickBooks, Quicken, and Simply
> Accounting...
>
> As it stands right now, it seems like all that I can do with gnucash is
> display a report with a 1-liner header such as:
>
> Balance Sheet, 12/31/2013

Hi Dominic

You can set a company name within the genreral tab of the report options - at
least, for some reports.  The Balance sheet is one such report.
If you want to start a new line like you describe, add the HTML markup <br>
in the company name and report title boxes.  I don't think there is any way to
influence the date format, other than your system-wide locale settings.

> As well, I would be grateful to pointers on how to modify report
> calculations.  As it stands, my example balance sheet report displays
> Assets of $101.00, Liability of $0.00, 2 Equity accounts (305.20 and
> 149.22) then states Retained losses of 353.42, Total Equity of 101.00 and a
> Total Liability & Equity of 101.00     ..... I suspect a miscalculation
> somewhere ...

What would you expect it to say?  As Mike pointed out, the raw numbers make
sense, so maybe you have got debits and credits the wrong way round?
Maybe the account types aren't set appropriately?

HTH,
Maf.