[GNC] whois lookup - gnucash.net

Gnucash User-3
I see that apart from the gnucash.org domain, someone has registered a
domain gnucash.net ... can anyone use the gnucash for their own
second-level domain ?   That might be confusing to someone who is
looking for gnucash, especially in the case of a well-established
top-level domain.

Re: [GNC] whois lookup - gnucash.net

Justin Haynes-2
Gnucash User - ([hidden email]) -

Did you have a question for the list?

-Justin

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 2:26 PM Gnucash User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see that apart from the gnucash.org domain, someone has registered a
> domain gnucash.net ... can anyone use the gnucash for their own
> second-level domain ?   That might be confusing to someone who is
> looking for gnucash, especially in the case of a well-established
> top-level domain.

Re: [GNC] whois lookup - gnucash.net

Gnucash User-3
Yes, the question is what are the thoughts of the gnucash
developers/contributors on the use of "gnucash" as a second-level domain
name?   I see, for instance, that besides the aforementioned
gnucash.net, someone has also registered gnucash.com.  This pertains to
how new users could learn where to obtain software and information, but
perhaps there might be a more appropriate forum? Thanks!

On 3/30/2019 1:39 PM, Justin Haynes wrote:

> Gnucash User - ([hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>) -
>
> Did you have a question for the list?
>
> -Justin
>
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 2:26 PM Gnucash User <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I see that apart from the gnucash.org <http://gnucash.org> domain,
>     someone has registered a
>     domain gnucash.net <http://gnucash.net> ... can anyone use the
>     gnucash for their own
>     second-level domain ?   That might be confusing to someone who is
>     looking for gnucash, especially in the case of a well-established
>     top-level domain.
>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] whois lookup - gnucash.net

GnuCash - User mailing list
On 3/30/19 2:42 PM, Gnucash User wrote:
> Yes, the question is what are the thoughts of the gnucash
> developers/contributors on the use of "gnucash" as a second-level domain
> name?   I see, for instance, that besides the aforementioned
> gnucash.net, someone has also registered gnucash.com.  This pertains to
> how new users could learn where to obtain software and information, but
> perhaps there might be a more appropriate forum? Thanks!

Interesting: in Russia?

$ dig gnucash.net

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.68.rc1.el6_10.1 <<>> gnucash.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 18

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gnucash.net. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gnucash.net. 86400 IN A 45.63.19.35

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
gnucash.net. 172799 IN NS ns2.reg.ru.
gnucash.net. 172799 IN NS ns1.reg.ru.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.11
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.13
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.15
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.17
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.11
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.13
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.15
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.17
ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN AAAA 2a00:f940:4::47
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.18
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.12
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.14
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.16
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.18
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.12
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.14
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.16
ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN AAAA 2a00:f940:5::190

;; Query time: 677 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 30 16:04:20 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 399

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B

Re: [GNC] whois lookup - gnucash.net

John Ralls-2

> On Mar 30, 2019, at 1:05 PM, Jean-David Beyer via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 3/30/19 2:42 PM, Gnucash User wrote:
>> Yes, the question is what are the thoughts of the gnucash
>> developers/contributors on the use of "gnucash" as a second-level domain
>> name?   I see, for instance, that besides the aforementioned
>> gnucash.net, someone has also registered gnucash.com.  This pertains to
>> how new users could learn where to obtain software and information, but
>> perhaps there might be a more appropriate forum? Thanks!
>
> Interesting: in Russia?
>
> $ dig gnucash.net
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.68.rc1.el6_10.1 <<>> gnucash.net
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 18
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;gnucash.net. IN A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> gnucash.net. 86400 IN A 45.63.19.35
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> gnucash.net. 172799 IN NS ns2.reg.ru.
> gnucash.net. 172799 IN NS ns1.reg.ru.
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.11
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.13
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.15
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.17
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.11
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.13
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.15
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.17
> ns1.reg.ru. 86400 IN AAAA 2a00:f940:4::47
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.18
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.12
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.14
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.16
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 194.58.117.18
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.12
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.14
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN A 176.99.13.16
> ns2.reg.ru. 86400 IN AAAA 2a00:f940:5::190
>
> ;; Query time: 677 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Sat Mar 30 16:04:20 2019
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 399

A squatter. Note that the registrant is in Squaw Valley, CA. The .com address is registered via goDaddy to a domain-squatter firm, NameFind, in Boston. It strikes me as unlikely that anyone will pay them for either domain.

Before 2010 or so there were only three top-level domains available to the public, .com, .net, and .org. In those days it was common practice to register one's domain with all three in order to prevent others from misusing them. With the effectively unlimited number of top-level domains it's no longer even possible never mind feasible to block all of them so the practice has fallen out of favor.

The good news is that almost nobody types domains into address bars anymore, they use Google.

So to the OP: There's nothing we can do to stop you from registering gnucash.whatever and using it as a pirated porn site if you want to. It's not likely to affect gnucash.org's search results so it's not likely to do us any harm.

Liz

Re: [GNC] whois lookup - gnucash.net

Liz
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 13:28:27 -0700
John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So to the OP: There's nothing we can do to stop you from registering
> gnucash.whatever and using it as a pirated porn site if you want to.
> It's not likely to affect gnucash.org's search results so it's not
> likely to do us any harm.

Frequently I see in the moderator queue emailed offers where we can pay someone in China so we can have gnucash.cn or whatever.

It's another form of phishing.

Liz