[GNC] where did it go

Teresa
I just want to make sure, I had to run out of a meeting, closed
everything after working for days to get 3 plus years of data in and
balancing. It's gone!!

I need to save the data outside GnuCash??

--

Teresa Slack

Senior Client Manager

*_Coba Enterprise Management, LLC_*

3620 Pelham Road, PMB 107

Greenville, SC 29615

Office: 864.343.8017 x 5

Cell:    864.525.3633

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Coba-EM.com <http://coba-em.com/>

/NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: The information contained in and accompanying
this communication may be confidential, subject to legal privilege, or
otherwise protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for the use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of
this communication, please delete and destroy all copies in your
possession, notify sender that you have received this communication in
error, and note that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of
any action in reliance on, this communication is expressly prohibited.
Email messages may contain computer viruses or other defects, may not be
accurately replicated on other systems, or may be intercepted, deleted
or interfered with without the knowledge of the sender or the intended
recipient. Coba Enterprise Management, LLC makes no warranties in
relation to these matters. Please note that Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC reserves the right to intercept, monitor, and retain email messages
to and from its systems as permitted by applicable law. If you are not
comfortable with the risks associated with e-mail messages, you may
decide not to use email to communicate with Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC. /

Re: [GNC] where did it go

David Carlson-4
GnuCash is like your document editor or spreadsheet program.  When you
close it the first time, it asks you where to save it and what to call it.
Then, when you re-start it, it opens the same file automatically.  If you
skip that step, you have a problem.  I am not sure what happens if you
never named and saved your file.

David Carlson

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 2:51 AM Teresa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just want to make sure, I had to run out of a meeting, closed
> everything after working for days to get 3 plus years of data in and
> balancing. It's gone!!
>
> I need to save the data outside GnuCash??
>
> --
>
> Teresa Slack
>
> Senior Client Manager
>
> *_Coba Enterprise Management, LLC_*
>
> 3620 Pelham Road, PMB 107
>
> Greenville, SC 29615
>
> Office: 864.343.8017 x 5
>
> Cell:    864.525.3633
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Coba-EM.com <http://coba-em.com/>
>
> /NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: The information contained in and accompanying
> this communication may be confidential, subject to legal privilege, or
> otherwise protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for the use
> of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of
> this communication, please delete and destroy all copies in your
> possession, notify sender that you have received this communication in
> error, and note that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of
> any action in reliance on, this communication is expressly prohibited.
> Email messages may contain computer viruses or other defects, may not be
> accurately replicated on other systems, or may be intercepted, deleted
> or interfered with without the knowledge of the sender or the intended
> recipient. Coba Enterprise Management, LLC makes no warranties in
> relation to these matters. Please note that Coba Enterprise Management,
> LLC reserves the right to intercept, monitor, and retain email messages
> to and from its systems as permitted by applicable law. If you are not
> comfortable with the risks associated with e-mail messages, you may
> decide not to use email to communicate with Coba Enterprise Management,
> LLC. /

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] where did it go

Michael or Penny Novack
On 3/9/2019 7:52 AM, David Carlson wrote:
> GnuCash is like your document editor or spreadsheet program.  When you
> close it the first time, it asks you where to save it and what to call it.
> Then, when you re-start it, it opens the same file automatically.  If you
> skip that step, you have a problem.  I am not sure what happens if you
> never named and saved your file.
>
> David Carlson

  That's the problem. Assuming that the file was saved (you did some
sort of save before closing the program) the problem is that you don't
know the name of the file or where (what directory -- aka "file folder")

But PROBABLY your operating system includes a "find" tool, and probably
that has options not just to search for by partial name (for example,
ending with the extension .gnucash) but things like "changed yesterday".

If you didn't do ANY save ......... (But please note that this would not
be a gnucash specific problem. For example, if you created a document
with your word processor but NEVER saved it, would you expect it to be
there?)

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] where did it go

Teresa,

When you created your new book and account heirarchy you have to save the
file to do that so it will be on your disk somewhere. You just need to find
where in your files it was saved. It will have the name <filename>.gnucash
where <filename> is the name you originally gave it. It will also have in
the same directory, backup and log files with the format:
<filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.gnucash
<filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.log
where <timestamp> is a string with format YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.

If you main data file truly has no data in it then the backups may be your
saviour as you can open a previous backup and then import the log files
created after that if necessary

There is in the Edit->Preferences General tab a preference for an autosave
time. Setting this means any work is automatically saved to your file.

I generally create a directory for each book  to contain the gnucash data
file and its backup and log files so they are all kept together and not
mixed up with other files. You can also set how many of the log and backup
files are retained in the preferences.