[GNC] v3.5

Emisbod
Thanks, Gnus, for a successfully completed first year of use, after
migrating from Quicken.

The prospect of upgrading to 3.5 scares me witless! Is there an idiot's
guide, or is it the same as installing in the first place? Presumably I
just need to ensure safe copies of data files somewhere.

Cheers

Graham

Cheerio,

Graham

---

Re: [GNC] v3.5

Colin Law
On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 10:11, Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Gnus, for a successfully completed first year of use, after
> migrating from Quicken.
>
> The prospect of upgrading to 3.5 scares me witless! Is there an idiot's
> guide, or is it the same as installing in the first place? Presumably I
> just need to ensure safe copies of data files somewhere.

You should make sure you *always* have safe backup copies of your
accounts file, not only when doing an upgrade.  Your disk or computer
may (literally or metaphorically) go up in smoke at any time taking
all your data with it you have not got backups.

The detailed technique for upgrading depends on which OS you are using
and how you installed it in the first place.

Colin

Re: [GNC] v3.5

Emisbod
On 07/04/2019 10:16, Colin Law wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 10:11, Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, Gnus, for a successfully completed first year of use, after
>> migrating from Quicken.
>>
>> The prospect of upgrading to 3.5 scares me witless! Is there an idiot's
>> guide, or is it the same as installing in the first place? Presumably I
>> just need to ensure safe copies of data files somewhere.
> You should make sure you *always* have safe backup copies of your
> accounts file, not only when doing an upgrade.  Your disk or computer
> may (literally or metaphorically) go up in smoke at any time taking
> all your data with it you have not got backups.
>
> The detailed technique for upgrading depends on which OS you are using
> and how you installed it in the first place.
>
> Colin

Thanks, Colin, and indeed I have many safe copies, I'm pleased to say.
I'm on W10, desktop PC. I did try looking for a pointer in the help
files but failed.

Cheerio,

Graham

---

Re: [GNC] v3.5

Graham,

Upgrading GnuCash is generally pretty painless and as you point  out is no
more complex than initial installation in most cases. As Colin said you
should always have backups (I have 4 separate backups2 of which are  off
site to my computers).

The main time you may strike problems is in the initial switch between major
versions e.g. from 2.6 to V3. If you aren't a confident user then it is
better to wait for a couple of bugfix releases as quite often there are
major changes in the major release updates and an increased likelihood of
bugs. With V3 by 3.5 you are pretty safe.  Any changes in internal data file
format or preferences are usually handled either in installation scripts or
built in code to manage the change. Waiting too long may result in having to
do the upgrade in steps using intermediate releases. E.g if you were still
back on an early V2 version.

On Windows, the installer will usually take care of uninstalling any
previous version. Similarly most Linux distros often include an uninstall
option in their main menu items. The wiki has full uninstallation
instructions if you are building from scratch. Haven't had to uninstall a
.deb package but dpkg which is used in installation can do it as can apt
remove or apt-get remove.  With MacOSX i have no experience at all.

Re: [GNC] v3.5

Adrien Monteleone-2
For completeness, on a Mac, simply drag the .app bundle (inside the .dmg) to the install location (usually /Applications) and the Mac will dutifully ask if you want to replace the current installation, or retain both. It then copies the new version to that location and either overwrites the old version, or renames the new one slightly so you can have both if that was your choice.