[GNC] v3.5 Save Times

Fross, Michael
Hello devs,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for v3.5   I can't believe how fast my
XML file saves with the new version.  It was never that bad (~12 seconds on
my SSD) but now it saves in just a few.

Congrats on the release and all of the bug fixes and enhancements.

Michael

Re: [GNC] v3.5 Save Times

GnuCash - User mailing list
I have to say reading this post made me check out 3.5, as versions up to 3.3
were really unusably slow on saving, so I was still using 2.6.21.
I normally check the release notes when a new release comes out and the bug
Bug 795804 - Extremely slow save
is still listed as a Known Issue, so I hadn't bothered.

I don't know what the devs have done but 3.5 is not only faster than 3.3,
it's also much faster saving than 2.6.
For example, my >8yrs worth of data file took 9.1 seconds to save on 2.6.21,
and now on 3.5 it's 3.5 sec.

This is a huge imporvement. Maybe have another look at the bug and see if
something has unwittingly fixed it.
Anyway thanks!

(Windows 10 Pro, build 17763.404)

Re: [GNC] v3.5 Save Times

John Ralls-2

> On Apr 6, 2019, at 9:07 AM, Ian K via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have to say reading this post made me check out 3.5, as versions up to 3.3
> were really unusably slow on saving, so I was still using 2.6.21.
> I normally check the release notes when a new release comes out and the bug
> Bug 795804 - Extremely slow save
> is still listed as a Known Issue, so I hadn't bothered.
>
> I don't know what the devs have done but 3.5 is not only faster than 3.3,
> it's also much faster saving than 2.6.
> For example, my >8yrs worth of data file took 9.1 seconds to save on 2.6.21,
> and now on 3.5 it's 3.5 sec.
>
> This is a huge imporvement. Maybe have another look at the bug and see if
> something has unwittingly fixed it.
> Anyway thanks!

Not unwittingly. Bob, Geert and I plus several new contributors did a lot of profiling to try to bring the load times down. What we've been waiting for on the bug report is confirmation that our efforts were successful, so please report your experience there.

Re: [GNC] v3.5 Save Times

GnuCash - User mailing list
OK, well I will post my findings on the bug report.
However, I would suggest that had the devs made a comment there stating that
some changes had been made for 3.5 that they hope should improve the speed,
but need to get more feedback, then there would be more incentive to
download and test the release. For me that bug was the deal-breaker, and the
last comment on the bug report was from a 3.4 user saying the problem was
still there.