[GNC] two copies on the same computer.

Gary Stewart
I'm new to GNUcash and the mailing lists etc.

Is it possible to have two copies of GNUCash running on the same computer?
One for personal, and one for business?

Gary Stewart

Re: [GNC] two copies on the same computer.

David Carlson-4
Gary,

It's easier than that.  You can have as many data files as you want, kind
of like when using Libre Office.

The biggest restriction is that you should only have one file open at a
time,  else some strange things can happen .

David Carlson

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020, 9:53 PM Gary Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm new to GNUcash and the mailing lists etc.
>

> Is it possible to have two copies of GNUCash running on the same computer?
> One for personal, and one for business?
>

> Gary Stewart

Re: [GNC] two copies on the same computer.

Raymond Smith
Hi, David.

Do you have any more information on the strange things that can happen?
I've done a bit of managing two different files on the same computer at the
same time recently, so I'm wondering if there are things I should go back
and check.

Thanks,
Ray

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 8:19 PM David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Gary,
>
> It's easier than that.  You can have as many data files as you want, kind
> of like when using Libre Office.
>
> The biggest restriction is that you should only have one file open at a
> time,  else some strange things can happen .
>
> David Carlson
>

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2020, 9:53 PM Gary Stewart <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm new to GNUcash and the mailing lists etc.
> >

> > Is it possible to have two copies of GNUCash running on the same
> computer?
> > One for personal, and one for business?
> >

> > Gary Stewart

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] two copies on the same computer.

David Cousens
The main problem, at least on Linux, is that the user configuration files are
shared between two intsances which means saved reports, customization etc
are shared.  If each data file requires separate customized reports etc., it
may get a little confusing. I have never had any interactions between two
instances runningon separate data files in terms of data file interaction. I
often have had  a production stable version running and also may be running
an instance of one of the development branches open at a different test data
file with no difficulties. Having two instances open on the one data file is
likely to be problematical but the file locking should stop you doing that
unless you override it.

if you require complete separation, use a different user login for each open
data file which will then maintain separation of the user configuartion
files.

Re: [GNC] two copies on the same computer.

Raymond Smith
Great, thanks for the info, that's reassuring.

Ray