[GNC] transaction imported do not show up

[GNC] transaction imported do not show up

anatoly
Hi: I was taught by a friend and use gnucash for years but am not really
knowledgeable. I didn't use and maintain an account with a bank since
2015. Recently I decided to start using it again. I tried to import data
from the bank but it didn't show up in the ledger. How can I restore
that gnucash account? Thank you.

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

David Cousens
Anatoly

What version of GNuCash are you using and on what platform
(Linux/Windows/MacOS)?

How were you trying to import your data from the bank? Directly using an
on-line connection or by downloading a datafile and then importing that file
into GnuCash?

If the latter what was the format of the data file?

While there is online support for direct download from a bank from within
GnuCash, this is not necessarily available from all banks or in many
countries.

Other options usually available are to download OFX/QFX files, QIF files,
CSV files. Of these the first are generally easiest to import provided the
bank has got the OFX format right. Not all do.

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

David Carlson-4
Do not overlook the possibility that you may be looking in the wrong file
for the fresh data.  Usually it is easiest to employ a file manager to look
for data files that have the correct name and recent date stamps.

David Carlson

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:20 PM David Cousens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Anatoly
>
> What version of GNuCash are you using and on what platform
> (Linux/Windows/MacOS)?
>
> How were you trying to import your data from the bank? Directly using an
> on-line connection or by downloading a datafile and then importing that
> file
> into GnuCash?
>
> If the latter what was the format of the data file?
>
> While there is online support for direct download from a bank from within
> GnuCash, this is not necessarily available from all banks or in many
> countries.
>
> Other options usually available are to download OFX/QFX files, QIF files,
> CSV files. Of these the first are generally easiest to import provided the
> bank has got the OFX format right. Not all do.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

anatoly
Hi David: Thank you for the response.

My system reads that I have "the newest version" of gnucash -- 1:2.6.12-1

The system is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I download QFX files and import them into gnucash afterwards.

I use this routine for several banks and credit cards. Some of them do
just fine but a few, as I said in the initial post, do not appear at the
ledger after I "import." More than that. If the imported transactions
didn't appear in the ledger once and I try to import the corresponding
file again, I am getting an empty screen, no messages, nothing and can
do nothing at all but to close it.

Thanks

On 2/11/19 21:18, David Cousens wrote:

> Anatoly
>
> What version of GNuCash are you using and on what platform
> (Linux/Windows/MacOS)?
>
> How were you trying to import your data from the bank? Directly using an
> on-line connection or by downloading a datafile and then importing that file
> into GnuCash?
>
> If the latter what was the format of the data file?
>
> While there is online support for direct download from a bank from within
> GnuCash, this is not necessarily available from all banks or in many
> countries.
>
> Other options usually available are to download OFX/QFX files, QIF files,
> CSV files. Of these the first are generally easiest to import provided the
> bank has got the OFX format right. Not all do.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

anatoly
Hi David: I didn't get it. I open gnucash. Normally it knows the recent
file. I import QFX files from several institutions. Some of them import
perfectly -- I see everything in the ledger right away. A few others,
after import is "done" just do not show up. Those are accounts which
were not updated for quite some time.

On 2/12/19 05:40, David Carlson wrote:

> Do not overlook the possibility that you may be looking in the wrong file
> for the fresh data.  Usually it is easiest to employ a file manager to look
> for data files that have the correct name and recent date stamps.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:20 PM David Cousens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Anatoly
>>
>> What version of GNuCash are you using and on what platform
>> (Linux/Windows/MacOS)?
>>
>> How were you trying to import your data from the bank? Directly using an
>> on-line connection or by downloading a datafile and then importing that
>> file
>> into GnuCash?
>>
>> If the latter what was the format of the data file?
>>
>> While there is online support for direct download from a bank from within
>> GnuCash, this is not necessarily available from all banks or in many
>> countries.
>>
>> Other options usually available are to download OFX/QFX files, QIF files,
>> CSV files. Of these the first are generally easiest to import provided the
>> bank has got the OFX format right. Not all do.
>>
>> David Cousens
>>

>> -----
>> David Cousens
>> --
>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

David Carlson-4
anatoly,

In the bank or credit card register where the downloaded transactions are
not appearing check View > Filter By.. and be sure Show All is selected.

David Carlson

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM anatoly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David: I didn't get it. I open gnucash. Normally it knows the recent
> file. I import QFX files from several institutions. Some of them import
> perfectly -- I see everything in the ledger right away. A few others, after
> import is "done" just do not show up. Those are accounts which were not
> updated for quite some time.
> On 2/12/19 05:40, David Carlson wrote:
>
> Do not overlook the possibility that you may be looking in the wrong file
> for the fresh data.  Usually it is easiest to employ a file manager to look
> for data files that have the correct name and recent date stamps.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:20 PM David Cousens <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> Anatoly
>
> What version of GNuCash are you using and on what platform
> (Linux/Windows/MacOS)?
>
> How were you trying to import your data from the bank? Directly using an
> on-line connection or by downloading a datafile and then importing that
> file
> into GnuCash?
>
> If the latter what was the format of the data file?
>
> While there is online support for direct download from a bank from within
> GnuCash, this is not necessarily available from all banks or in many
> countries.
>
> Other options usually available are to download OFX/QFX files, QIF files,
> CSV files. Of these the first are generally easiest to import provided the
> bank has got the OFX format right. Not all do.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

anatoly
Thanks David: Doesn't work.

-Anatoly

On 2/14/19 15:58, David Carlson wrote:

> anatoly,
>
> In the bank or credit card register where the downloaded transactions
> are not appearing check View > Filter By.. and be sure Show All is
> selected.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM anatoly <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi David: I didn't get it. I open gnucash. Normally it knows the
>     recent file. I import QFX files from several institutions. Some of
>     them import perfectly -- I see everything in the ledger right
>     away. A few others, after import is "done" just do not show up.
>     Those are accounts which were not updated for quite some time.
>
>     On 2/12/19 05:40, David Carlson wrote:
>>     Do not overlook the possibility that you may be looking in the wrong file
>>     for the fresh data.  Usually it is easiest to employ a file manager to look
>>     for data files that have the correct name and recent date stamps.
>>
>>     David Carlson
>>
>>     On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:20 PM David Cousens<[hidden email]>  <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>>     Anatoly
>>>
>>>     What version of GNuCash are you using and on what platform
>>>     (Linux/Windows/MacOS)?
>>>
>>>     How were you trying to import your data from the bank? Directly using an
>>>     on-line connection or by downloading a datafile and then importing that
>>>     file
>>>     into GnuCash?
>>>
>>>     If the latter what was the format of the data file?
>>>
>>>     While there is online support for direct download from a bank from within
>>>     GnuCash, this is not necessarily available from all banks or in many
>>>     countries.
>>>
>>>     Other options usually available are to download OFX/QFX files, QIF files,
>>>     CSV files. Of these the first are generally easiest to import provided the
>>>     bank has got the OFX format right. Not all do.
>>>
>>>     David Cousens
>>>

>>>     -----
>>>     David Cousens
>>>     --
>>>     Sent from:http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>>>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists  for more information.
>>>     -----
>>>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

>>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

David Carlson-4
anatoly,

The next thing to try is to open Tools > General Ledger.  That view
defaults to show every transaction in every account since last month.  Then
choose View > Filter to change the start date to sometime before your
'lost' transactions are dated.  Also be sure all statuses are selected.
Good Luck.

David Carlson

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 6:44 PM anatoly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks David: Doesn't work.
>
> -Anatoly
> On 2/14/19 15:58, David Carlson wrote:
>
> anatoly,
>
> In the bank or credit card register where the downloaded transactions are
> not appearing check View > Filter By.. and be sure Show All is selected.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM anatoly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi David: I didn't get it. I open gnucash. Normally it knows the recent
>> file. I import QFX files from several institutions. Some of them import
>> perfectly -- I see everything in the ledger right away. A few others, after
>> import is "done" just do not show up. Those are accounts which were not
>> updated for quite some time.
>> On 2/12/19 05:40, David Carlson wrote:
>>
>> Do not overlook the possibility that you may be looking in the wrong file
>> for the fresh data.  Usually it is easiest to employ a file manager to look
>> for data files that have the correct name and recent date stamps.
>>
>> David Carlson
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:20 PM David Cousens <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Anatoly
>>
>> What version of GNuCash are you using and on what platform
>> (Linux/Windows/MacOS)?
>>
>> How were you trying to import your data from the bank? Directly using an
>> on-line connection or by downloading a datafile and then importing that
>> file
>> into GnuCash?
>>
>> If the latter what was the format of the data file?
>>
>> While there is online support for direct download from a bank from within
>> GnuCash, this is not necessarily available from all banks or in many
>> countries.
>>
>> Other options usually available are to download OFX/QFX files, QIF files,
>> CSV files. Of these the first are generally easiest to import provided the
>> bank has got the OFX format right. Not all do.
>>
>> David Cousens
>>

>> -----
>> David Cousens
>> --
>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

Anatoly,

When you import the data is the transaction matching window coming up where
you can review the transfer accounts and the import status. If the matcher
cannot assign an account using its algorithm it will assign the second split
of the transaction to an account called Imbalance. This account should
normally have a zero balance and any non-zero balance may indicate
transactions which haven't had an appropriate account assigned to them.
These will normally show up with a yellow background in the matcher window
indicating they need to have an account for the second split of the
transacton assigned to them.

 They should still show up in the register for the account you are importing
to. If the OFX file does not specify the account being imported to in its
structure, it is normally the account whose register was open when you
initiated the import. It may also be possible the importer may have imported
the transactions to the wrong account. I am not sure but it appears to
construct an association between the OFX file account specified and a
specific internal GnuCash account. I don't know how that is done for OFX
files though.

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

David Carlson-4
David Cousens,

OFX files must have a <FI> <ORG> tag and <FID> tag identifying the
financial institution as well as additional tags identifying the user and
account id's so that the first time an account ID appears GnuCash requires
the user to explicitly assign some account to that ID.  The second time the
same info appears the software will assign the transactions to the
[hopefully] correct bank account.
GnuCash does not ever assign OFX transactions to whatever account is handy.

The Imbalance account does appear when GnuCash does not recognize the
<NAME> assigned to a transaction from previous imports.  The dates,
however, must appear in a certain format, and if incorrect, will usually
cause an import to fail except possibly the first or second week of the
year.

That is all spelled out [except the Imbalance part] in the OFX
specification used by all institutions that know how to apply it.

David Carlson

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:23 PM David Cousens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Anatoly,
>
> When you import the data is the transaction matching window coming up where
> you can review the transfer accounts and the import status. If the matcher
> cannot assign an account using its algorithm it will assign the second
> split
> of the transaction to an account called Imbalance. This account should
> normally have a zero balance and any non-zero balance may indicate
> transactions which haven't had an appropriate account assigned to them.
> These will normally show up with a yellow background in the matcher window
> indicating they need to have an account for the second split of the
> transacton assigned to them.
>
>  They should still show up in the register for the account you are
> importing
> to. If the OFX file does not specify the account being imported to in its
> structure, it is normally the account whose register was open when you
> initiated the import. It may also be possible the importer may have
> imported
> the transactions to the wrong account. I am not sure but it appears to
> construct an association between the OFX file account specified and a
> specific internal GnuCash account. I don't know how that is done for OFX
> files though.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

David Cousens
Thanks David,

I had suspected that GnuCash remembered the initial account assignment as
that was my experience of it but have never checked the code out on that. I
have also experienced the incorrectly formatted dates on one occasion. I
have had so few hassles with OFX generally i have not looked too deeply into
it.

Re: [GNC] transaction imported do not show up

David Carlson-4
I hope that no news from anatoly means that he has found his missing
transactions.

David Carlson