[GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

[GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hello,

As the subject line notes, I am again encountering a crasher in GnuCash 3.3 on MacOS Mojave when I try to save a report configuration for a report whose settings have changed. Upon restart, I find that the saved reports have been trashed, and the saved-reports-2.8 file is truncated at a fraction of its prior size.

Further specifics: I am opening a saved report which is intended to document a small subset of expense accounts. I have added a new subaccount to this set of expenses, and I wish to add this new subaccount to the existing saved report. I open the report (Reports->Saved Report Configurations) and then select the options for the report. I click to the Accounts tab, add the new account (CMD-Click) and click save. The new version of the report now displays. I click on the “Save Report Configuration” button, and GnuCash disappears. There is no further information displayed (i.e., I do not receive an Apple message about the program ending unexpectedly, etc.). Neither does it appear that there is a crash report; the only crash I can find regarding GnuCash dates from 12/18, and today is not 12/18.

More disturbingly, when I reopen GnuCash, I find that my Saved Report Configurations file has been truncated, resulting in a loss of most of my reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my reports file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only 7 saved reports.

I reported this problem originally back in May 2018, and thought it had gone away, but am again seeing it. I can consistently cause the crash now whenever I try to save a report configuration using the original reports file. If I use the new truncated form of the reports file, the error (and associated crash) goes away.

Back in May, I asked whether anyone could suggest a way for me to examine the saved-reports-2.8 file and determine what could possible be causing this crash. It is untenable for me to keep having to restore my saved reports file, and is annoying that I am unable to alter existing reports or add new ones.

If there are no solid suggestions to be made, I hope someone does have some way for me to move forward; otherwise I will have to bite the bullet, write down every single report I have saved, and recreate them in a new saved-reports file. This is a colossal waste of time, but if it’s the only way I can move forward, then it’s the only way to move forward.

With ‘bated breath,

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

Geert Janssens-4
Hi David,

A very disturbing situation to be in.

I think the first step is to narrow down the possible issues.

Op zaterdag 29 december 2018 16:18:43 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-user:

> Hello,
>
> As the subject line notes, I am again encountering a crasher in GnuCash 3.3
> on MacOS Mojave when I try to save a report configuration for a report
> whose settings have changed. Upon restart, I find that the saved reports
> have been trashed, and the saved-reports-2.8 file is truncated at a
> fraction of its prior size.
>
> Further specifics: I am opening a saved report which is intended to document
> a small subset of expense accounts. I have added a new subaccount to this
> set of expenses, and I wish to add this new subaccount to the existing
> saved report. I open the report (Reports->Saved Report Configurations) and
> then select the options for the report. I click to the Accounts tab, add
> the new account (CMD-Click) and click save. The new version of the report
> now displays. I click on the “Save Report Configuration” button, and
> GnuCash disappears. There is no further information displayed (i.e., I do
> not receive an Apple message about the program ending unexpectedly, etc.).
> Neither does it appear that there is a crash report; the only crash I can
> find regarding GnuCash dates from 12/18, and today is not 12/18.

When this happens is there anything in the trace file ?

> More disturbingly, when I reopen GnuCash, I find that my Saved Report
> Configurations file has been truncated, resulting in a loss of most of my
> reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my
> reports file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The
> saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only
> 7 saved reports.

So some of them are still in there ? Is the last one that's still there
completely stored in the saved reports file ? And what's the first report
that's not saved ? Do you see anything particular about this one ?

What if you remove this first report that's not saved from your original saved
reports file (after making a proper backup of course) and restore this
manually edited file. Can you now save your new report correctly ?

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

David T,

I am a little bit behind, as I am still using release 2.6.x where x ranges
between 16 and 19 depending on which machine I have fired up, so I am still
looking at a file named saved-reports-2..4, but I think that it is not too
different from your file.

I think you are aware that the file is is a text file which can be opened
by any text editor, tho some may format the output more read-ably on your
screen.  I just looked at one of mine with gedit in Ubuntu and found it to
be quite readable, though the content appears to be computer code in the
language used to generate the reports.  In the 2.4 version the accounts are
coded by reference numbers, so it may be possible that mis-matches would
cause issues if applied to a different data file, but I would expect
GnuCash to react docilely to most common problems in this file.

It does seem odd that, in your case, whatever error is present can actually
crash GnuCash.

I suspect that you are actually asking the developers to create a testing
tool to validate the file contents in the user environment and, if
possible, correct errors or isolate them to prevent further damage.
Probably such a tool is needed to prevent the damage that you are seeing in
your case from happening in production use.  When to apply the tool and
whether to make it available separately to the user would be best decided
by the developers.

Also, a description of the format of the contents in some help file would
be useful to help in identifying problems with the file.

From Geert's reply just before mine, I infer that the file is processed
sequentially report-by-report so his suggestion should succeed in isolating
the error in this particular case, although the program behavior is far
from ideal upon encountering the error.

David C

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM David T. via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As the subject line notes, I am again encountering a crasher in GnuCash
> 3.3 on MacOS Mojave when I try to save a report configuration for a report
> whose settings have changed. Upon restart, I find that the saved reports
> have been trashed, and the saved-reports-2.8 file is truncated at a
> fraction of its prior size.
>
> Further specifics: I am opening a saved report which is intended to
> document a small subset of expense accounts. I have added a new subaccount
> to this set of expenses, and I wish to add this new subaccount to the
> existing saved report. I open the report (Reports->Saved Report
> Configurations) and then select the options for the report. I click to the
> Accounts tab, add the new account (CMD-Click) and click save. The new
> version of the report now displays. I click on the “Save Report
> Configuration” button, and GnuCash disappears. There is no further
> information displayed (i.e., I do not receive an Apple message about the
> program ending unexpectedly, etc.). Neither does it appear that there is a
> crash report; the only crash I can find regarding GnuCash dates from 12/18,
> and today is not 12/18.
>
> More disturbingly, when I reopen GnuCash, I find that my Saved Report
> Configurations file has been truncated, resulting in a loss of most of my
> reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my
> reports file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The
> saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only
> 7 saved reports.
>
> I reported this problem originally back in May 2018, and thought it had
> gone away, but am again seeing it. I can consistently cause the crash now
> whenever I try to save a report configuration using the original reports
> file. If I use the new truncated form of the reports file, the error (and
> associated crash) goes away.
>
> Back in May, I asked whether anyone could suggest a way for me to examine
> the saved-reports-2.8 file and determine what could possible be causing
> this crash. It is untenable for me to keep having to restore my saved
> reports file, and is annoying that I am unable to alter existing reports or
> add new ones.
>
> If there are no solid suggestions to be made, I hope someone does have
> some way for me to move forward; otherwise I will have to bite the bullet,
> write down every single report I have saved, and recreate them in a new
> saved-reports file. This is a colossal waste of time, but if it’s the only
> way I can move forward, then it’s the only way to move forward.
>
> With ‘bated breath,
> David

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

Geert and others,

I would like to follow up on the issues I raised earlier.

First off, the crashing upon saving the report has gone away. I have no idea why.

As for the saved-reports truncation issue, after a break from all of this, I returned to do some tinkering around. Repeated efforts to modify a few of my reports for the latest version of the Transaction Report yielded the same results: my saved-reports file was truncated at 32kb.

I began the process of trying to document all 56 saved reports in my file (including trying to remove outdated ones) so that I could wipe the slate clean and start over again. A third of the way through, I ran into a report that was embedded in a multicolumn report which was not yielding expected results. This report would only return a cryptic error message. My suspicions aroused, I removed the report from the multicolumn report, saved the multicolumn report, closed, and then reopened GnuCash.

All my reports were still there, and further edits on saved reports did not truncate the saved-reports file.

I’m not certain, but I wonder whether there is an issue in the multicolumn report code—to wit, I see that the entries for each section appear to be based on other reports, and I wonder what would happen if I were to remove the stored report upon which that section is built?

Anyhow, it appears that the truncation issue had to do with this erroneous saved report. I have no idea what could have fixed the crasher.

Cheers,
David

> On Dec 29, 2018, at 9:31 PM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> A very disturbing situation to be in.
>
> I think the first step is to narrow down the possible issues.
>
> Op zaterdag 29 december 2018 16:18:43 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-user:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As the subject line notes, I am again encountering a crasher in GnuCash 3.3
>> on MacOS Mojave when I try to save a report configuration for a report
>> whose settings have changed. Upon restart, I find that the saved reports
>> have been trashed, and the saved-reports-2.8 file is truncated at a
>> fraction of its prior size.
>>
>> Further specifics: I am opening a saved report which is intended to document
>> a small subset of expense accounts. I have added a new subaccount to this
>> set of expenses, and I wish to add this new subaccount to the existing
>> saved report. I open the report (Reports->Saved Report Configurations) and
>> then select the options for the report. I click to the Accounts tab, add
>> the new account (CMD-Click) and click save. The new version of the report
>> now displays. I click on the “Save Report Configuration” button, and
>> GnuCash disappears. There is no further information displayed (i.e., I do
>> not receive an Apple message about the program ending unexpectedly, etc.).
>> Neither does it appear that there is a crash report; the only crash I can
>> find regarding GnuCash dates from 12/18, and today is not 12/18.
>>
> When this happens is there anything in the trace file ?
>
>> More disturbingly, when I reopen GnuCash, I find that my Saved Report
>> Configurations file has been truncated, resulting in a loss of most of my
>> reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my
>> reports file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The
>> saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only
>> 7 saved reports.
>>
> So some of them are still in there ? Is the last one that's still there
> completely stored in the saved reports file ? And what's the first report
> that's not saved ? Do you see anything particular about this one ?
>
> What if you remove this first report that's not saved from your original saved
> reports file (after making a proper backup of course) and restore this
> manually edited file. Can you now save your new report correctly ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

Adrien Monteleone-2
David,

I’ve seen that very strange issue happen on two other occasions, once with a mailbox file and once with an XML file. I can’t fathom why the OS reports less data than is really there as it shouldn’t care if the file is malformed or not to the filetype’s specifications when it reports total size on disk. I’ve seen this on both Linux and Mac. (I never tested those files on Windows to see if that OS would do the same) This might be some sort of bug related to how files are split up on disk, or if such file errors result in an errant change to the file table entry, (FAT, journal, etc.) I dunno.

Unfortunately, I no longer remember the exact issues, but certainly, correcting the text in the file in my cases, (I could load the entire file in a text editor) restored access to my data and got the OS to report the real file size.

> [...]
>>> reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my
>>> reports file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The
>>> saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only
>>> 7 saved reports.
>>>
>> So some of them are still in there ? Is the last one that's still there
>> completely stored in the saved reports file ? And what's the first report
>> that's not saved ? Do you see anything particular about this one ?
>>
>> What if you remove this first report that's not saved from your original saved
>> reports file (after making a proper backup of course) and restore this
>> manually edited file. Can you now save your new report correctly ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geert

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

Adrien,

It's not merely a case of the OS reporting the wrong file size; the file was in fact truncated. Reports were gone.

It's more likely that something in the particular report was causing Gnucash to discard the data before saving. I say this because Gnucash consistently put the original file into saved-reports-2.4-backup. All 182kb of it.

David

On January 17, 2019, at 2:07 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> reports. (Because I’ve had similar troubles with GnuCash trashing my
>>> reports file, I have copies of saved-reports-2.8 stored in safe spots.) The
>>> saved-reports-2.8 file goes from 182 kb to 34 kb. Upon restart, I have only
>>> 7 saved reports.
>>>
>> So some of them are still in there ? Is the last one that's still there
>> completely stored in the saved reports file ? And what's the first report
>> that's not saved ? Do you see anything particular about this one ?
>>
>> What if you remove this first report that's not saved from your original saved
>> reports file (after making a proper backup of course) and restore this
>> manually edited file. Can you now save your new report correctly ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geert

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Truncates saved-reports-2.8

I understand what you mean by they were ‘gone’ because Gnucash couldn’t read the remainder of the file. But does opening saved-reports-2.8 in a text editor (something like Atom, Gedit, vi, emacs, etc.) show the subsequent reports still defined there? (warning, I think this file is in Scheme, but you can do a find on your report names)

I can’t fathom how removing an errant report magically un-truncated a file. If the data was gone, it was gone. But if Gnucash simply couldn’t read it past a certain point, though the report definitions were still there, that would make sense. (what is perplexing is why the OS would report a different file size)

Or did you simply restore a 2.8 backup or a saved-reports-2.4 version and remove the offending report to ‘recover' the lost reports? I wasn’t quite clear in my understanding there.

> [...]
>> David
>>
>>> On Dec 29, 2018, at 9:31 PM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> A very disturbing situation to be in.
>>>
>>> I think the first step is to narrow down the possible issues.

>>> When this happens is there anything in the trace file ?

>>> So some of them are still in there ? Is the last one that's still there
>>> completely stored in the saved reports file ? And what's the first report
>>> that's not saved ? Do you see anything particular about this one ?
>>>
>>> What if you remove this first report that's not saved from your original saved
>>> reports file (after making a proper backup of course) and restore this
>>> manually edited file. Can you now save your new report correctly ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Geert

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Tr

Ah. I understand where we are disconnecting.
1. Gnucash truncated my reports file upon saving any new reports. 2. I exited Gnucash and upon reopening found that two thirds of my reports were no longer there. 3. I exited Gnucash again, and verified in the OS that the file was much smaller, opened the file in a text editor and verified that hundreds of lines were gone. 4. I deleted this truncated file and copied back in the original reports file from a backup.

So, long story short, the errant report was (probably) causing Gnucash to truncate the file if I asked it to save a report.

  On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 7:14, Adrien Monteleone<[hidden email]> wrote:   I understand what you mean by they were ‘gone’ because Gnucash couldn’t read the remainder of the file. But does opening saved-reports-2.8 in a text editor (something like Atom, Gedit, vi, emacs, etc.) show the subsequent reports still defined there? (warning, I think this file is in Scheme, but you can do a find on your report names)

> [...]

>> David
>>
>>> On Dec 29, 2018, at 9:31 PM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> A very disturbing situation to be in.
>>>
>>> I think the first step is to narrow down the possible issues.

>>> When this happens is there anything in the trace file ?

>>> So some of them are still in there ? Is the last one that's still there
>>> completely stored in the saved reports file ? And what's the first report
>>> that's not saved ? Do you see anything particular about this one ?
>>>
>>> What if you remove this first report that's not saved from your original saved
>>> reports file (after making a proper backup of course) and restore this
>>> manually edited file. Can you now save your new report correctly ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Geert

Re: [GNC] "Save Report Configuration" Crashes GnuCash and Tr

Got it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.