[GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

12

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Colin Law
On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 21:20, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Getting rid of this file ~/.config/gtk-3.0.gtk.css which I had created
> and restarting the system got me back the awful scroll bar behavior I
> had instantly hated as soon as I installed 18.04.

The bars are much improved on Ubuntu 18.10, if you are not restricted to
LTS versions.

Colin

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

stevecoh2@gmail.com
On 2/5/19 3:42 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 21:20, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>     Getting rid of this file ~/.config/gtk-3.0.gtk.css which I had created
>     and restarting the system got me back the awful scroll bar behavior I
>     had instantly hated as soon as I installed 18.04.
>

> The bars are much improved on Ubuntu 18.10, if you are not restricted to
> LTS versions.
>
> Colin

It's a personal system, no restrictions, but the upgrade process is one
I tend to avoid unless absolutely necessary.  Can you upgrade
18.04-18.10 in place, or does it require a reinstallation of everything?
  Will my GnuCash need to be rebuilt?

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Robert Heller
At Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:08:37 -0600 David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was not trying to assign any blame or credit for the new scrollbars.
> IIRC I first saw one in a GTK3 application, and I was definitely upset by
> not having a page up page down function on my mouse.  If you have not seen
> that yet, you eventually will.

<begin semi-sarcastic mode>
*Part* of what is going on is the whole "touch screen" mania, coupled with a
bitofscroll-wheelmania.ManyUI people (the ones making design choices for
thevariouswidgetlibraries,includingGTK3), seem to feel that nobody really
is (should?) be using their mice to access scrollbars. They really should be
using their fingers on their touch screen (everybody is using a touch screen,
right? I mean clunky things like keyboards and mice are so arcane now). Or if
they still have a mouse, they are using their scroll wheel and not really
needing a scrollbar...
<end semi-sarcastic mode>

> David Carlson
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:02 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
> >> I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
> >> renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
> >> how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?
> >>

> > This is yet another red herring.  I have never seen the symptom you
> > describe and I have been using Gnucash on Ubuntu for years.
> >
> > I think it would be worth eliminating the Wayland issue (though I don't
> > think it is likely to be the cause). Wayland is planned to be a replacement
> > for the X windowing s/w but it isn't really ready for general use yet. I
> > don't remember exactly what the login screen looked like on 18.04, but if
> > you logout then on the panel with your user name there may be a settings
> > icon, or possibly an Ubuntu icon and if you click that it will give you
> > some selections.  If not there then on the screen where you enter your
> > password.  First see what is marked as selected already.  You want one that
> > says Ubuntu on X or maybe just Ubuntu, but doesn't mention Wayland.  If you
> > are not sure then come back with the options available.
> >
> > Colin

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Op dinsdag 5 februari 2019 22:10:52 CET schreef Jack Slater:
> I have! Hate it. Will it be fixed?

That's gtk decision, not a gnucash one.

However you can change it on your system if you like:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Scrollbars

On 2/5/19 4:21 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

> <begin semi-sarcastic mode>
> *Part*  of what is going on is the whole "touch screen" mania, coupled with a
> bitofscroll-wheelmania.ManyUI people (the ones making design choices for
> thevariouswidgetlibraries,includingGTK3), seem to feel that nobody really
> is (should?) be using their mice to access scrollbars. They really should be
> using their fingers on their touch screen (everybody is using a touch screen,
> right? I mean clunky things like keyboards and mice are so arcane now). Or if
> they still have a mouse, they are using their scroll wheel and not really
> needing a scrollbar...
> <end semi-sarcastic mode>

So that's what they're "thinking"!

Hmm.  My checking account ledger (2 years old) must have at least 50
entries a month., so about 1200 entries.

My mouse has a scroll wheel.  I never use it.  It takes twenty or so
rotations of the scroll wheel (or that part which is showing) for me to
go from bottom to top.  Whereas with the scroll bar, I go from top to
bottom in one sweep.

Liz

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Liz
On Tue,  5 Feb 2019 17:21:35 -0500 (EST)
Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <begin semi-sarcastic mode>
> *Part* of what is going on is the whole "touch screen" mania, coupled
> with a bitofscroll-wheelmania.ManyUI people (the ones making design
> choices for thevariouswidgetlibraries,includingGTK3), seem to feel
> that nobody really is (should?) be using their mice to access
> scrollbars. They really should be using their fingers on their touch
> screen (everybody is using a touch screen, right? I mean clunky
> things like keyboards and mice are so arcane now). Or if they still
> have a mouse, they are using their scroll wheel and not really
> needing a scrollbar... <end semi-sarcastic mode>

and as for those of who have been typing for decades and wish to have
keyboard shortcuts??
well, that's 'last century', but still efficient.

Liz

On 2/7/19 2:11 AM, Liz wrote:

> On Tue,  5 Feb 2019 17:21:35 -0500 (EST)
> Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> <begin semi-sarcastic mode>
>> *Part* of what is going on is the whole "touch screen" mania, coupled
>> with a bitofscroll-wheelmania.ManyUI people (the ones making design
>> choices for thevariouswidgetlibraries,includingGTK3), seem to feel
>> that nobody really is (should?) be using their mice to access
>> scrollbars. They really should be using their fingers on their touch
>> screen (everybody is using a touch screen, right? I mean clunky
>> things like keyboards and mice are so arcane now). Or if they still
>> have a mouse, they are using their scroll wheel and not really
>> needing a scrollbar... <end semi-sarcastic mode>
>
> and as for those of who have been typing for decades and wish to have
> keyboard shortcuts??
> well, that's 'last century', but still efficient.
>
> Liz

As a fellow dinosaur, I hear ya, Liz, but I don't think those have been
messed with (yet).  20-some years ago, I had a rotator-cuff tear and
using the mouse was agony, so I learned all the Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X
shortcuts and have never forgetten them.  I instinctively reach for
whichever tool is closest and that's often the keyboard.

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

stevecoh2@gmail.com
On 2/5/19 3:42 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 21:20, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>     Getting rid of this file ~/.config/gtk-3.0.gtk.css which I had created
>     and restarting the system got me back the awful scroll bar behavior I
>     had instantly hated as soon as I installed 18.04.
>

> The bars are much improved on Ubuntu 18.10, if you are not restricted to
> LTS versions.
>
> Colin

At your suggestion I installed the official Gnucash 3.4 and also
updgraded the system to Ubuntu 18.10 and found the scrollbars indeed
better but still a bit thinner than I'd like.  So I reinstated my
~/.config/gtk-3.0.gtk.css and now all appears to be well, with
right-sized scrollbars that work in GnuCash.  Thanks to all.
12