[GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

12

[GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

stevecoh2@gmail.com
For two years something seemed not quite right about the use of scroll
bars in Gnucash register windows, but I always just "lived with it" in a
state of vague , not quite conscious annoyance.

I have finally put my finger on the problem.

When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the mouse
leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was before
the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep the mouse
within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the display from
snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If I do manage not to
stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before releasing the mouse
button, then the display stays where my scrolling action left it BUT,
the moment I subsequently move the mouse out of the scroll bar area, the
display snaps to its previous position.  In particular this makes it
impossible to edit an entry that was out of the visible scrolling area
but became visible after scrolling, as it is gone before I can click it.
  The only way to get to a row not visible is by using the arrow keys or
PgUp, PgDown.  Ironically, pressing those keys does move the scroller.

I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.

This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think.  Other
apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird Mail
inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting that
would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this, or is it a bug?

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Colin Law
I am not seeing any problems on Ubuntu 18.10 running GC 3.4.  Confused by
the fact you say you are running 3.900 as I think 3.4 is the latest.

Are you running the standard (Gnome) version of Ubuntu?  Are you using X or
Wayland? That should be selectable from logon screen.  I am running X.

Colin

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 16:55, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For two years something seemed not quite right about the use of scroll
> bars in Gnucash register windows, but I always just "lived with it" in a
> state of vague , not quite conscious annoyance.
>
> I have finally put my finger on the problem.
>
> When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the mouse
> leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was before
> the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep the mouse
> within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the display from
> snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If I do manage not to
> stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before releasing the mouse
> button, then the display stays where my scrolling action left it BUT,
> the moment I subsequently move the mouse out of the scroll bar area, the
> display snaps to its previous position.  In particular this makes it
> impossible to edit an entry that was out of the visible scrolling area
> but became visible after scrolling, as it is gone before I can click it.
>   The only way to get to a row not visible is by using the arrow keys or
> PgUp, PgDown.  Ironically, pressing those keys does move the scroller.
>
> I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
> 2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think.  Other
> apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird Mail
> inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting that
> would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this, or is it a bug?

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Bucky Carr

I've noticed that exact behavior in many other Windows programs as
well. Definitely annoying.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 17:22, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've noticed that exact behavior in many other Windows programs as
> well. Definitely annoying.

We are not talking about Windows programs are we?

Colin

> On 2/5/2019 9:53 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
> > For two years something seemed not quite right about the use of
> > scroll bars in Gnucash register windows, but I always just "lived
> > with it" in a state of vague , not quite conscious annoyance.
> >
> > I have finally put my finger on the problem.
> >
> > When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the mouse
> > leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was
> > before the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep
> > the mouse within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the
> > display from snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If I do
> > manage not to stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before
> > releasing the mouse button, then the display stays where my
> > scrolling action left it BUT, the moment I subsequently move the
> > mouse out of the scroll bar area, the display snaps to its previous
> > position.  In particular this makes it impossible to edit an entry
> > that was out of the visible scrolling area but became visible after
> > scrolling, as it is gone before I can click it.  The only way to get
> > to a row not visible is by using the arrow keys or PgUp, PgDown.
> > Ironically, pressing those keys does move the scroller.
> >
> > I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
> > 2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.
> >
> > This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think. Other
> > apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird Mail
> > inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting
> > that would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this, or is
> > it a bug?

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

stevecoh2@gmail.com
I was surprised to see 3.900 myself but that's what the About screen
tells me:

Version: 3.900
Build ID: git 3.1-100-geb67baba5+ (2018-06-03)
Finance::Quote: 1.47

I am running the standard gnome version of Ubuntu with the exception of
a change I made to get a wider scrollbar per:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/775201/how-do-i-get-a-bigger-static-scrollbar-aka-normal-scrollbar
.  I think I the only change I made was changing
     -GtkRange-slider-width: 16;
     -GtkRange-slider-width: 25;

However, this problem has been with me since gnucash v 2.x.x and on a
previous version of Ubuntu where I hadn't messed with the scroll bar width.

As for "X or Wayland" I don't know.  I am using whatever ubuntu ships
with out of the box.

On 2/5/19 11:07 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> I am not seeing any problems on Ubuntu 18.10 running GC 3.4.  Confused
> by the fact you say you are running 3.900 as I think 3.4 is the latest.
>
> Are you running the standard (Gnome) version of Ubuntu?  Are you using X
> or Wayland? That should be selectable from logon screen.  I am running X.
>
> Colin
>
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 16:55, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     For two years something seemed not quite right about the use of scroll
>     bars in Gnucash register windows, but I always just "lived with it"
>     in a
>     state of vague , not quite conscious annoyance.
>
>     I have finally put my finger on the problem.
>
>     When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the mouse
>     leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was
>     before
>     the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep the mouse
>     within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the display from
>     snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If I do manage not to
>     stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before releasing the mouse
>     button, then the display stays where my scrolling action left it BUT,
>     the moment I subsequently move the mouse out of the scroll bar area,
>     the
>     display snaps to its previous position.  In particular this makes it
>     impossible to edit an entry that was out of the visible scrolling area
>     but became visible after scrolling, as it is gone before I can click
>     it.
>        The only way to get to a row not visible is by using the arrow
>     keys or
>     PgUp, PgDown.  Ironically, pressing those keys does move the scroller.
>
>     I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
>     2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
>     This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think.  Other
>     apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird Mail
>     inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting that
>     would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this, or is it a bug?
>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Bucky Carr

Isn't GNUcash a Windows program? :)

The OP said that "other programs don't do this". I was pointing out
that the observed behavior is evident in other programs as well, and I
just happened to mention the "other programs" are Windows programs,
too, just like GNUcash is a Windows (and other platform) program.

On 2/5/2019 10:27 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 17:22, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     I've noticed that exact behavior in many other Windows programs as
>     well. Definitely annoying.
>

> We are not talking about Windows programs are we?
>
> Colin
>

>     On 2/5/2019 9:53 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
>     > For two years something seemed not quite right about the use of
>     > scroll bars in Gnucash register windows, but I always just "lived
>     > with it" in a state of vague , not quite conscious annoyance.
>     >
>     > I have finally put my finger on the problem.
>     >
>     > When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the
>     mouse
>     > leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was
>     > before the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep
>     > the mouse within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the
>     > display from snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If
>     I do
>     > manage not to stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before
>     > releasing the mouse button, then the display stays where my
>     > scrolling action left it BUT, the moment I subsequently move the
>     > mouse out of the scroll bar area, the display snaps to its
>     previous
>     > position.  In particular this makes it impossible to edit an
>     entry
>     > that was out of the visible scrolling area but became visible
>     after
>     > scrolling, as it is gone before I can click it.  The only way
>     to get
>     > to a row not visible is by using the arrow keys or PgUp, PgDown.
>     > Ironically, pressing those keys does move the scroller.
>     >
>     > I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
>     > 2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.
>     >
>     > This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think.
>     Other
>     > apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird
>     Mail
>     > inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting
>     > that would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this,
>     or is
>     > it a bug?

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

stevecoh2@gmail.com
On 2/5/19 11:33 AM, Bucky Carr wrote:
Well, I am not using the Windows version and this behavior is unlike
anything I ever saw when I did use Windows.

> Isn't GNUcash a Windows program? :)
>
> The OP said that "other programs don't do this". I was pointing out that
> the observed behavior is evident in other programs as well, and I just
> happened to mention the "other programs" are Windows programs, too, just
> like GNUcash is a Windows (and other platform) program.
>
> On 2/5/2019 10:27 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 17:22, Bucky Carr <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>>     I've noticed that exact behavior in many other Windows programs as
>>     well. Definitely annoying.
>>

>> We are not talking about Windows programs are we?
>>
>> Colin
>>

>>     On 2/5/2019 9:53 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
>>     > For two years something seemed not quite right about the use of
>>     > scroll bars in Gnucash register windows, but I always just "lived
>>     > with it" in a state of vague , not quite conscious annoyance.
>>     >
>>     > I have finally put my finger on the problem.
>>     >
>>     > When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the
>>     mouse
>>     > leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was
>>     > before the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep
>>     > the mouse within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the
>>     > display from snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If
>>     I do
>>     > manage not to stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before
>>     > releasing the mouse button, then the display stays where my
>>     > scrolling action left it BUT, the moment I subsequently move the
>>     > mouse out of the scroll bar area, the display snaps to its
>>     previous
>>     > position.  In particular this makes it impossible to edit an
>>     entry
>>     > that was out of the visible scrolling area but became visible
>>     after
>>     > scrolling, as it is gone before I can click it.  The only way
>>     to get
>>     > to a row not visible is by using the arrow keys or PgUp, PgDown.
>>     > Ironically, pressing those keys does move the scroller.
>>     >
>>     > I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
>>     > 2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.
>>     >
>>     > This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think.
>>     Other
>>     > apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird
>>     Mail
>>     > inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting
>>     > that would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this,
>>     or is
>>     > it a bug?

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Bucky Carr

I just tried it with MS Excel (Win10) and it behaves exactly as you
describe with your GNUcash-in-Linux experience. So it is not uncommon.

But it is annoying.

On 2/5/2019 10:38 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
> On 2/5/19 11:33 AM, Bucky Carr wrote:
> Well, I am not using the Windows version and this behavior is unlike
> anything I ever saw when I did use Windows.

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

stevecoh2@gmail.com
I'm trying to be nice but you're making it hard.  I have never
experienced such behavior in Windows or in Linux except with Gnucash.  I
don't know what you're experiencing but it's not what I am experiencing.
  Your input is less than helpful here.

On 2/5/19 11:43 AM, Bucky Carr wrote:

> I just tried it with MS Excel (Win10) and it behaves exactly as you
> describe with your GNUcash-in-Linux experience. So it is not uncommon.
>
> But it is annoying.
>

> On 2/5/2019 10:38 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
>> On 2/5/19 11:33 AM, Bucky Carr wrote:
>> Well, I am not using the Windows version and this behavior is unlike
>> anything I ever saw when I did use Windows.

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Bucky Carr

Then don't try to be so nice.  From your OP:

"When I click in the scroller and move my mouse, whenever the mouse
leaves the scroll bar area the display snaps back to where it was
before the scroll operation.  I initially tried to carefully keep the
mouse within the scroll bar area, and that does prevent the display
from snapping back - but my new ephiphany is this:  If I do manage not
to stray from the bounds of the scroll bar before releasing the mouse
button, then the display stays where my scrolling action left it BUT,
the moment I subsequently move the mouse out of the scroll bar area,
the display snaps to its previous position."

I followed your precise instructions above in MS Excel on Windows 10 a
few seconds ago and it behaves EXACTLY as you are describing above.

My impression of your OP is that you seek to blame GNUcash for some
unique behavior that is unseen anywhere else. Am I misunderstanding
your OP?

On 2/5/2019 10:54 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:
> I'm trying to be nice but you're making it hard.  I have never
> experienced such behavior in Windows or in Linux except with
> Gnucash.  I don't know what you're experiencing but it's not what I
> am experiencing.  Your input is less than helpful here.

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

stevecoh2@gmail.com
I fear that the main thread of this issue has been lost due to the
irrelevant side issue raised about Windows.

Below is the latest real message in this thread (in response to Colin Law):

I was surprised to see 3.900 myself but that's what the About screen
tells me:

Version: 3.900
Build ID: git 3.1-100-geb67baba5+ (2018-06-03)
Finance::Quote: 1.47

I am running the standard gnome version of Ubuntu with the exception of
a change I made to get a wider scrollbar per:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/775201/how-do-i-get-a-bigger-static-scrollbar-aka-normal-scrollbar

I think I the only change I made was changing
      -GtkRange-slider-width: 16;
      -GtkRange-slider-width: 25;

However, this problem has been with me since gnucash v 2.x.x and on a
previous version of Ubuntu where I hadn't messed with the scroll bar width.

As for "X or Wayland" I don't know.  I am using whatever Ubuntu 18.04
ships with out of the box.

On 2/5/19 11:29 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:

> [...]
>>     keys or
>>     PgUp, PgDown.  Ironically, pressing those keys does move the
>> scroller.
>>
>>     I am running GNUCash version 3.900, which I built from source on
>>     2018-06-03 on Ubuntu 18.04.
>>
>>     This is highly irritating and non-standard behavior, I think.  Other
>>     apps do not handle scrolling this way, such as the Thunderbird Mail
>>     inbox, Libre Office Calc, etc.  I was not able to find a setting that
>>     would govern this behavior.  Do others experience this, or is it a
>> bug?
>>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>     -----
>>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Geert Janssens-4
Op dinsdag 5 februari 2019 20:45:55 CET schreef Steve Cohen:

> I fear that the main thread of this issue has been lost due to the
> irrelevant side issue raised about Windows.
>
> Below is the latest real message in this thread (in response to Colin Law):
>
> I was surprised to see 3.900 myself but that's what the About screen
> tells me:
>
> Version: 3.900
> Build ID: git 3.1-100-geb67baba5+ (2018-06-03)
> Finance::Quote: 1.47

That means this gnucash was built from the master branch instead of the maint
branch. I don't know where you got it, but master is intended for new
development, not user oriented builds. You may want to ask your package source
for details.

That aside I don't think it will affect scrollbar behavior. There are no
relevant changes in that area between the two branches.

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

If you are using release 18.04 the default desktop was switched from Unity
to Gnome and that Gnome probably uses GTK3 as default rather than GTK2.  I
think those scroll bars first appeared there but they seem to be becoming
as fashionable as useless 'antique' bathroom sinks.

David Carlson

On 2/5/19 2:04 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> GTK3 as default rather than GTK2.  I think those scroll bars first
> appeared there but they seem to be becoming as fashionable as useless
> 'antique' bathroom sinks.

While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

David Carlson-4
Ok, I was traveling last week and it seems like motels are switching to
bathroom sinks that sit on top of the counter, with plumbing that looks
like the old fashioned hand water pump and bowl arrangement, thus are
automatically 8 " higher and further back, leaving no room for toothbrush
charger, hand towel (no towel hanger either) soap dish etc.

Scrollbars are not actually completely useless but close in this new form.
Sometimes it is hard to make them appear and if you click somewhere above
or below the slider the window slides up proportional to where you clicked
instead of one page.  Thus there is no longer a 'page up' 'page down'
function with the mouse button.  That gets very annoying when reading a
long document.

David Carlson

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 20:17, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/5/19 2:04 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> > GTK3 as default rather than GTK2.  I think those scroll bars first
> > appeared there but they seem to be becoming as fashionable as useless
> > 'antique' bathroom sinks.
> >

> While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
> I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
> renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
> how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?

This is yet another red herring.  I have never seen the symptom you
describe and I have been using Gnucash on Ubuntu for years.

I think it would be worth eliminating the Wayland issue (though I don't
think it is likely to be the cause). Wayland is planned to be a replacement
for the X windowing s/w but it isn't really ready for general use yet. I
don't remember exactly what the login screen looked like on 18.04, but if
you logout then on the panel with your user name there may be a settings
icon, or possibly an Ubuntu icon and if you click that it will give you
some selections.  If not there then on the screen where you enter your
password.  First see what is marked as selected already.  You want one that
says Ubuntu on X or maybe just Ubuntu, but doesn't mention Wayland.  If you
are not sure then come back with the options available.

Colin

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

David Carlson-4
I was not trying to assign any blame or credit for the new scrollbars.
IIRC I first saw one in a GTK3 application, and I was definitely upset by
not having a page up page down function on my mouse.  If you have not seen
that yet, you eventually will.

David Carlson

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 3:02 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 20:17, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2/5/19 2:04 PM, David Carlson wrote:
>> > GTK3 as default rather than GTK2.  I think those scroll bars first
>> > appeared there but they seem to be becoming as fashionable as useless
>> > 'antique' bathroom sinks.
>> >

>> While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
>> I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
>> renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
>> how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?
>>

> This is yet another red herring.  I have never seen the symptom you
> describe and I have been using Gnucash on Ubuntu for years.
>
> I think it would be worth eliminating the Wayland issue (though I don't
> think it is likely to be the cause). Wayland is planned to be a replacement
> for the X windowing s/w but it isn't really ready for general use yet. I
> don't remember exactly what the login screen looked like on 18.04, but if
> you logout then on the panel with your user name there may be a settings
> icon, or possibly an Ubuntu icon and if you click that it will give you
> some selections.  If not there then on the screen where you enter your
> password.  First see what is marked as selected already.  You want one that
> says Ubuntu on X or maybe just Ubuntu, but doesn't mention Wayland.  If you
> are not sure then come back with the options available.
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] "Non-sticky" scroll bars in gnucash registers

Jack Slater
I have! Hate it. Will it be fixed?

On 2/5/19 2:37 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> Ok, I was traveling last week and it seems like motels are switching to
> bathroom sinks that sit on top of the counter, with plumbing that looks
> like the old fashioned hand water pump and bowl arrangement, thus are
> automatically 8 " higher and further back, leaving no room for
> toothbrush charger, hand towel (no towel hanger either) soap dish etc.
>
> Scrollbars are not actually completely useless but close in this new
> form.  Sometimes it is hard to make them appear and if you click
> somewhere above or below the slider the window slides up proportional to
> where you clicked instead of one page.  Thus there is no longer a 'page
> up' 'page down' function with the mouse button.  That gets very annoying
> when reading a long document.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:17 PM Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/5/19 2:04 PM, David Carlson wrote:
>      > GTK3 as default rather than GTK2.  I think those scroll bars first
>      > appeared there but they seem to be becoming as fashionable as
>     useless
>      > 'antique' bathroom sinks.
>      >
>
>     While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
>     I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
>     renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
>     how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?

Gotcha.  Seems like another instance of "if it isn't needed on the
smartphone, we can forget about it on the desktop."  Scroll bars, so
five minutes ago.

On 2/5/19 3:02 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 20:17, Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/5/19 2:04 PM, David Carlson wrote:
>      > GTK3 as default rather than GTK2.  I think those scroll bars first
>      > appeared there but they seem to be becoming as fashionable as
>     useless
>      > 'antique' bathroom sinks.
>      >
>
>     While I appreciate and think I agree with the thrust of your comment,
>     I'm not actually understanding what you mean.  Are you saying that GTK3
>     renders scrollbars useless?  And why does GnuCash seem to be unique in
>     how it handles this (at least among the applications I use)?
>

> This is yet another red herring.  I have never seen the symptom you
> describe and I have been using Gnucash on Ubuntu for years.
>
> I think it would be worth eliminating the Wayland issue (though I don't
> think it is likely to be the cause). Wayland is planned to be a
> replacement for the X windowing s/w but it isn't really ready for
> general use yet. I don't remember exactly what the login screen looked
> like on 18.04, but if you logout then on the panel with your user name
> there may be a settings icon, or possibly an Ubuntu icon and if you
> click that it will give you some selections.  If not there then on the
> screen where you enter your password.  First see what is marked as
> selected already.  You want one that says Ubuntu on X or maybe just
> Ubuntu, but doesn't mention Wayland.  If you are not sure then come back
> with the options available.
>
> Colin

Uh, no, it isn't a red herring exactly, but it's not a problem in the
factory version of Ubuntu 18.04.

I found the problem:  I was looking in the wrong place.  After reading
more carefully the page
https://askubuntu.com/questions/775201/how-do-i-get-a-bigger-static-scrollbar-aka-normal-scrollbar
,
I realize that the change I had made to
/usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css was irrelevant and
does nothing.  Instead, there was a second answer from that page that I
had followed: https://askubuntu.com/a/908584/310274 .  This had me add a
file ~/.config/gtk-3.0.gtk.css with some configuration that made the
scroll bar more to my liking.

Getting rid of this file ~/.config/gtk-3.0.gtk.css which I had created
and restarting the system got me back the awful scroll bar behavior I
had instantly hated as soon as I installed 18.04.  However, scroll bars
now work correctly in GNUCash.  GnuCash seems to be coded to the stock
implementation, and it must be hard for the coders to handle all these
hacks seamlessly.  What a mess.  But glad I understand the problem (sort
of).
12