[GNC] "No suitable backend found for" file after rebuild of gnucash

[GNC] "No suitable backend found for" file after rebuild of gnucash

stevecoh2@gmail.com
As detailed in other thread, I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 14.04 to
Ubuntu 18.04.  After some difficulty, I built Gnucash 3.0 without error.
  I had been running 3.0 on 14.04 as well and had saved the data.

But when I attempt to load it I get "No suitable backend was found for
[filename].

What does this indicate?

Re: [GNC] "No suitable backend found for" file after rebuild of gnucash

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 11 juni 2018 19:50:11 CEST schreef Steve Cohen:
> As detailed in other thread, I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 14.04 to
> Ubuntu 18.04.  After some difficulty, I built Gnucash 3.0 without error.
>   I had been running 3.0 on 14.04 as well and had saved the data.
>
> But when I attempt to load it I get "No suitable backend was found for
> [filename].
>
> What does this indicate?

In what format did you save your gnucash data?

Assuming you built gnucash with dbi support enabled, you may be missing dbi
drivers for your data format.
If your file was not saved as xml, try installing package libdbd-sqlite3,
libdbd-mysql or libdbd-postgresql depending on how you saved your data.

Re: [GNC] "No suitable backend found for" file after rebuild of gnucash

stevecoh2@gmail.com
I installed all of these.  I believe the original data was saved in
sqlite3.  That is the default, isn't it?

But wait a minute, where, actually is the data stored?  I was assuming
it was the *.gcm, but these files seem to be nothing but config files.

Op maandag 11 juni 2018 20:38:08 CEST schreef Steve Cohen:
> I installed all of these.  I believe the original data was saved in
> sqlite3.  That is the default, isn't it?

No the default is xml.

> But wait a minute, where, actually is the data stored?  I was assuming
> it was the *.gcm, but these files seem to be nothing but config files.

Indeed, those files only store metadata. The actual file is where you chose to
save it back when you created it. This is just like in any other application.
The only thing gnucash does different is that it tries to reopen your last-
used file automatically when you close and reopen gnucash.