[GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

[GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

Chris Roy-Smith
Hi

I was running ver 2.6, Printing offered a list of printers that the
computer "knew about". This was updated to 3.2 (via Linux mint updates).
Now the only printing options offered in the print dialogue is "file"
and "lpr". Print to file works as expected, but printing to lpr does
nothing. Printing to file generates a PDF file which I can print, but
this is a bit clumsy, having to jump to a PDF capable program to print,
and then switch back to GnuCash again. Is there some other way that the
user is expected to use? Is this a bug? It occurs in both Linux Mint 19,
and Ubuntu 18.04.

Any info as to how I'm supposed to print gratefully received.

Regards,

Chris Roy-Smith

Re: [GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

David Cousens
Chris,

You possibly have installed the flatpak version of GnuCash in which case it
is possibly settings in the flathub support which restrict GnuCash from
accessing the printer. Flatpak is a sandbox which isolates the application
from the OS. One of the developers has been working on getting a flatpak
version downloadable from the GnuCash website but I don't know what the
status is.

This reference from an earlier thread
http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/sandbox-permissions-reference.html

may be of some assistance.

The original thread dealt with access to mysql
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Gnucash-Flatpak-3-2-Mysql-issue-tt4703430.html.
There may be some info in some of the other posts in the thread.

I installed the flatpack GnuCash when I first moved to LM19, had problems
and quicklywent back to building my own from sources.  There is also a
repository which has a build of  the latest release of GnuCash (3.4) at
https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash. It is not
officially part of the GnuCash team but works. After installing the ppa with
the instructions shown there just use
sudo apt install gnucash
in a terminal.

Re: [GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

Chris Roy-Smith
Hi David,
thanks for the explanation. I have set-up the ppa, and all works fine now.

On 10/3/19 6:10 pm, David Cousens wrote:

> Chris,
>
> You possibly have installed the flatpak version of GnuCash in which case it
> is possibly settings in the flathub support which restrict GnuCash from
> accessing the printer. Flatpak is a sandbox which isolates the application
> from the OS. One of the developers has been working on getting a flatpak
> version downloadable from the GnuCash website but I don't know what the
> status is.
>
> This reference from an earlier thread
> http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/sandbox-permissions-reference.html
>
> may be of some assistance.
>
> The original thread dealt with access to mysql
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Gnucash-Flatpak-3-2-Mysql-issue-tt4703430.html.
> There may be some info in some of the other posts in the thread.
>
> I installed the flatpack GnuCash when I first moved to LM19, had problems
> and quicklywent back to building my own from sources.  There is also a
> repository which has a build of  the latest release of GnuCash (3.4) at
> https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash. It is not
> officially part of the GnuCash team but works. After installing the ppa with
> the instructions shown there just use
> sudo apt install gnucash
> in a terminal.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

Colin Law
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 08:07, Chris Roy-Smith
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
> thanks for the explanation. I have set-up the ppa, and all works fine now.

Which ppa is that? I didn't know there is a gnucash ppa.

Colin

On 10/3/19 7:17 pm, Colin Law wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 08:07, Chris Roy-Smith
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>> thanks for the explanation. I have set-up the ppa, and all works fine now.
> Which ppa is that? I didn't know there is a gnucash ppa.
>
> Colin

here is the one I used, it gives version 3.4

ppa:sicklylife/gnucash

Regards,

Chris

>> On 10/3/19 6:10 pm, David Cousens wrote:
>>> Chris,
>>>
>>> You possibly have installed the flatpak version of GnuCash in which case it
>>> is possibly settings in the flathub support which restrict GnuCash from
>>> accessing the printer. Flatpak is a sandbox which isolates the application
>>> from the OS. One of the developers has been working on getting a flatpak
>>> version downloadable from the GnuCash website but I don't know what the
>>> status is.
>>>
>>> This reference from an earlier thread
>>> http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/sandbox-permissions-reference.html
>>>
>>> may be of some assistance.
>>>
>>> The original thread dealt with access to mysql
>>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Gnucash-Flatpak-3-2-Mysql-issue-tt4703430.html.
>>> There may be some info in some of the other posts in the thread.
>>>
>>> I installed the flatpack GnuCash when I first moved to LM19, had problems
>>> and quicklywent back to building my own from sources.  There is also a
>>> repository which has a build of  the latest release of GnuCash (3.4) at
>>> https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash. It is not
>>> officially part of the GnuCash team but works. After installing the ppa with
>>> the instructions shown there just use
>>> sudo apt install gnucash
>>> in a terminal.
>>>
>>> David Cousens
>>>

>>> -----
>>> David Cousens
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html

Re: [GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

Chris Roy-Smith
On 10/3/19 7:17 pm, Colin Law wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 08:07, Chris Roy-Smith
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>> thanks for the explanation. I have set-up the ppa, and all works fine now.
> Which ppa is that? I didn't know there is a gnucash ppa.
>
> Colin

Here is the ppa I used

ppa:sicklylife/gnucash

regards, Chris

>> On 10/3/19 6:10 pm, David Cousens wrote:
>>> Chris,
>>>
>>> You possibly have installed the flatpak version of GnuCash in which case it
>>> is possibly settings in the flathub support which restrict GnuCash from
>>> accessing the printer. Flatpak is a sandbox which isolates the application
>>> from the OS. One of the developers has been working on getting a flatpak
>>> version downloadable from the GnuCash website but I don't know what the
>>> status is.
>>>
>>> This reference from an earlier thread
>>> http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/sandbox-permissions-reference.html
>>>
>>> may be of some assistance.
>>>
>>> The original thread dealt with access to mysql
>>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Gnucash-Flatpak-3-2-Mysql-issue-tt4703430.html.
>>> There may be some info in some of the other posts in the thread.
>>>
>>> I installed the flatpack GnuCash when I first moved to LM19, had problems
>>> and quicklywent back to building my own from sources.  There is also a
>>> repository which has a build of  the latest release of GnuCash (3.4) at
>>> https://launchpad.net/~sicklylife/+archive/ubuntu/gnucash. It is not
>>> officially part of the GnuCash team but works. After installing the ppa with
>>> the instructions shown there just use
>>> sudo apt install gnucash
>>> in a terminal.
>>>
>>> David Cousens
>>>

>>> -----
>>> David Cousens
>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html

Re: [GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

Colin Law
Thanks Chris.  That could indeed be useful.  One should always
remember, though, that with a ppa one is reliant on the integrity of
the packager to build what you are expecting.  There is nothing to
stop someone modifying the code for nefarious purposes and building it
into a ppa.  Looking at the packagers profile, however, there does not
seem to be anything that would lead one to worry about his/her
integrity.

Colin

On 10/3/19 7:45 pm, Colin Law wrote:
> Thanks Chris.  That could indeed be useful.  One should always
> remember, though, that with a ppa one is reliant on the integrity of
> the packager to build what you are expecting.  There is nothing to
> stop someone modifying the code for nefarious purposes and building it
> into a ppa.  Looking at the packagers profile, however, there does not
> seem to be anything that would lead one to worry about his/her
> integrity.
>
> Colin

I also tried running GnuCash using this command

flatpak run --device=all org.gnucash.GnuCash

But I still don't get any printers!

perhaps I misunderstood the notes at

http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/search.html?q=device&check_keywords=yes&area=default

regards, Chris

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 08:30, Chris Roy-Smith
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/3/19 7:17 pm, Colin Law wrote:
>>> Which ppa is that? I didn't know there is a gnucash ppa.
>>>
>>> Colin
>> Here is the ppa I used
>>
>> ppa:sicklylife/gnucash
>>
>> regards, Chris

Re: [GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

Colin

ppa's are always a risk but so far I have never struck a problem using
reasonably well known ones

Daivd

Re: [GNC] no printer to select in print dialog

Colin Law
David

I agree it is not generally a problem, but I think it is worth
pointing out in case there are those here who did not realise the
potential risk.  I also have never had an issue with a ppa, but if it
is built by a name I do not recognise then I would always have a look
at his/her profile in order to reasure myself.  I had not come across
this guy before, but he does look ok, contributing to a number of
projects.

Colin

Op maandag 11 maart 2019 04:48:03 CET schreef Chris Roy-Smith:

> On 10/3/19 7:45 pm, Colin Law wrote:
> > Thanks Chris.  That could indeed be useful.  One should always
> > remember, though, that with a ppa one is reliant on the integrity of
> > the packager to build what you are expecting.  There is nothing to
> > stop someone modifying the code for nefarious purposes and building it
> > into a ppa.  Looking at the packagers profile, however, there does not
> > seem to be anything that would lead one to worry about his/her
> > integrity.
> >
> > Colin
>
> I also tried running GnuCash using this command
>
> flatpak run --device=all org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
> But I still don't get any printers!
>
> perhaps I misunderstood the notes at
>
> http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/search.html?q=device&check_keywords=yes&ar
> ea=default
>
> regards, Chris

Hi Chris,

This part was new to me so it took me some research to figure out what's
happening.

The --device option is not meant for printers. It's for accessing controllers
or webcams. For printing flatpak provides a portal mechanism.

On the other side GnuCash does not handle printing directly. It relies on the
underlying toolkits to do so.

For example for check printing we delegate to Gtk's built-in print
functionality. Gtk is aware of the flatpak portal mechanism, so your printers
should show up if you try to print a check.

For report printing, GnuCash delegates the request to webkit's built-in
printing functionality (as we rely on webkit for displaying reports).
Unfortunately webkit seems to be unaware of the flatpak portal mechanism.
Hence no printers are listed.

I'm not sure if we can work around this in GnuCash or with flatpak command
switches. That is to be investigated. I have opened
https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=797146
to track this further.