[GNC] n and c?

12

[GNC] n and c?

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi All,

On a credit card account, in the "R" column, what is "blank", "n", and
"c" stand for?

And does "R" stand for "reconcile"?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone-2
Yes,

The ‘R’ column is a reconcile flag.

You can click between ’n’ - "not reconciled", and ‘c’ - “cleared".

When you reconcile against your statement, the ‘c’ items will be pre-checked for you. When you finalize the reconciliation, all checked items will change their flag to ‘y’ - “yes, reconciled”.

Note, all accounts have this column.

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 12:01 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> On a credit card account, in the "R" column, what is "blank", "n", and "c" stand for?
>
> And does "R" stand for "reconcile"?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

GnuCash - User mailing list

On 4/10/19 11:06 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Yes,
>
> The ‘R’ column is a reconcile flag.
>
> You can click between ’n’ - "not reconciled", and ‘c’ - “cleared".
>
> When you reconcile against your statement, the ‘c’ items will be pre-checked for you. When you finalize the reconciliation, all checked items will change their flag to ‘y’ - “yes, reconciled”.
>
> Note, all accounts have this column.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Hi Adrian,

I will be reconciling by hand from my bank's statements.
When I find an entry, do I manually change it to "c"?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone-2
The ‘c’ flag is usually set when you are confirming the charge/payment is in fact real. Some people download transactions instead of entering them by hand, or they periodically check their account online to see if something went through. This is where you’d mark it ‘cleared’.

It is not reconciled until it shows a ‘y’ and the only way to achieve that is to use the Reconcile process in GnuCash. (there’s a button on the toolbar for it)

You specify your closing date and closing balance from your statement.

You’ll get a window showing all payments and charges.

You check off each one that matches as you find them on your statement.

You then finalize the reconciliation. (which should show zero variance to the closing balance)

The first time might take a few minutes, but subsequent reconciliations will be a breeze.

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 1:15 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> On Apr 11, 2019, at 12:01 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> On a credit card account, in the "R" column, what is "blank", "n", and "c" stand for?
> >>
> >> And does "R" stand for "reconcile"?
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> -T
>
> On 4/10/19 11:06 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Yes,
>> The ‘R’ column is a reconcile flag.
>> You can click between ’n’ - "not reconciled", and ‘c’ - “cleared".
>> When you reconcile against your statement, the ‘c’ items will be pre-checked for you. When you finalize the reconciliation, all checked items will change their flag to ‘y’ - “yes, reconciled”.
>> Note, all accounts have this column.
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>
> Hi Adrian,
>
> I will be reconciling by hand from my bank's statements.
> When I find an entry, do I manually change it to "c"?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

GnuCash - User mailing list

>> On 4/10/19 11:06 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>>> Yes,
>>> The ‘R’ column is a reconcile flag.
>>> You can click between ’n’ - "not reconciled", and ‘c’ - “cleared".
>>> When you reconcile against your statement, the ‘c’ items will be pre-checked for you. When you finalize the reconciliation, all checked items will change their flag to ‘y’ - “yes, reconciled”.
>>> Note, all accounts have this column.
>>> Regards,
>>> Adrien
>>

>> Hi Adrian,
>>
>> I will be reconciling by hand from my bank's statements.
>> When I find an entry, do I manually change it to "c"?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

On 4/10/19 11:25 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:> The ‘c’ flag is usually
set when you are confirming the charge/payment is in fact real. Some
people download transactions instead of entering them by hand, or they
periodically check their account online to see if something went
through. This is where you’d mark it ‘cleared’.

 > It is not reconciled until it shows a ‘y’ and the only way to achieve
that is to use the Reconcile process in GnuCash. (there’s a button on
the toolbar for it)

 > You specify your closing date and closing balance from your statement.
 >
 > You’ll get a window showing all payments and charges.
 >
 > You check off each one that matches as you find them on your statement.
 >
 > You then finalize the reconciliation. (which should show zero
variance to the closing balance)

 > The first time might take a few minutes, but subsequent
reconciliations will be a breeze.

 > Regards,
 > Adrien

Hi Adrian,

"Breeze"?  Oh no doubt after I get past the learning curve,
which is about to drive me insane!

Thank you for all the help.  I am writing down every thing
you tell me in my GnuCash how to notes

-T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone-2
You’re welcome.

When reading the Guide, for starters, get all the way through Chapter 7. (since you are tracking credit cards) You can read the rest as needed.

For the Help manual, get through Chapter 6.

I don’t recommend skipping around, at least not the first time through each one.

Also, don’t sweat the learning curve. It took me about 2 or more weeks to get a good grasp on things. Entering transactions each and every day as they occur, will help tremendously. (trying to do them in large batches once a week or less frequently will make learning more difficult and disjointed) It’s also a good habit to not get in the weeds with a pile of receipts and bills to enter.

As most people, I had this or that odd transaction or activity that I didn’t resolve how to enter properly for a few months and that wasn’t described straightforward in the documentation. (not a big deal, you can always change things later) I also edited and re-arranged my account tree several times as I began tracking expenses and assets. One important tidbit I learned from that is try to record as much info into each transaction as possible. Use the memos for each split line where possible. While it may seem like a lot of work now, try to avoid combining items on a receipt into a single split line. (I even record sales tax on its own line assigned to its own account - much easier than trying to pro-rate it across multiple expense accounts from the same receipt) If you later want to divide them up, and you don’t have enough info to do so, you might hamper your refinement of your account tree down the road. This also serves as a mini-check of the receipt’s math, and yes, I’ve caught a few errors over the years. (not that I could do anything about it usually after I left the store) GnuCash will auto-fill recurring transactions as you enter them. So after a few months, you will do little original typing.

Best of luck & welcome to GnuCash!

>>> Hi Adrian,
>>>
>>> I will be reconciling by hand from my bank's statements.
>>> When I find an entry, do I manually change it to "c"?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>
> On 4/10/19 11:25 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:> The ‘c’ flag is usually set when you are confirming the charge/payment is in fact real. Some people download transactions instead of entering them by hand, or they periodically check their account online to see if something went through. This is where you’d mark it ‘cleared’.
> >
> > It is not reconciled until it shows a ‘y’ and the only way to achieve that is to use the Reconcile process in GnuCash. (there’s a button on the toolbar for it)
> >
> > You specify your closing date and closing balance from your statement.
> >
> > You’ll get a window showing all payments and charges.
> >
> > You check off each one that matches as you find them on your statement.
> >
> > You then finalize the reconciliation. (which should show zero variance to the closing balance)
> >
> > The first time might take a few minutes, but subsequent reconciliations will be a breeze.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
>
> Hi Adrian,
>
> "Breeze"?  Oh no doubt after I get past the learning curve,
> which is about to drive me insane!
>
> Thank you for all the help.  I am writing down every thing
> you tell me in my GnuCash how to notes
>
> -T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

GnuCash - User mailing list

On 4/10/19 11:54 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> You’re welcome.
>
> When reading the Guide, for starters, get all the way through Chapter 7. (since you are tracking credit cards) You can read the rest as needed.
>
> For the Help manual, get through Chapter 6.
>
> I don’t recommend skipping around, at least not the first time through each one.
>
> Also, don’t sweat the learning curve. It took me about 2 or more weeks to get a good grasp on things. Entering transactions each and every day as they occur, will help tremendously. (trying to do them in large batches once a week or less frequently will make learning more difficult and disjointed) It’s also a good habit to not get in the weeds with a pile of receipts and bills to enter.
>
> As most people, I had this or that odd transaction or activity that I didn’t resolve how to enter properly for a few months and that wasn’t described straightforward in the documentation. (not a big deal, you can always change things later) I also edited and re-arranged my account tree several times as I began tracking expenses and assets. One important tidbit I learned from that is try to record as much info into each transaction as possible. Use the memos for each split line where possible. While it may seem like a lot of work now, try to avoid combining items on a receipt into a single split line. (I even record sales tax on its own line assigned to its own account - much easier than trying to pro-rate it across multiple expense accounts from the same receipt) If you later want to divide them up, and you don’t have enough info to do so, you might hamper your refinement of your account tree down the road. This also serves as a mini-check of the receipt’s math, and yes, I’ve caught a few errors over the years. (not that I could do anything about it usually after I left the store) GnuCash will auto-fill recurring transactions as you enter them. So after a few months, you will do little original typing.
>
> Best of luck & welcome to GnuCash!
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Hi Adrian,

Maybe in my next life I will want all those features.  Right
now I want to make a charge, then enter it into GnuCash
(or similar), see what my running balance is (how much I
have left on the card to charge), enter the ending balance
when I get my statement, and make sure the statement agrees with
what GnuCash says it should say.

I just DO NOT CARE where my payments come from, just
that I actually made a payment and the payment shows
up on the bank statement.

My head is spinning.  The how to guides I found on the web
tell you how to set up an account, but not how to operate
it once it is set up

I have chapter one up on the screen right now.  If you hear
a loud thump, my head just hit the table and I did not make
it to chapter two.  These kind of guides put me to sleep.
In college, I had to record my teachers lectures as I slept
through them.  The times I forced myself to stay awake,
I actually started hallucinating and did not retain anything.
But the balls dangling in front of my eyes were pretty!

Thank you for all the continuing help,
-T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone-2

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 2:29 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Adrian,
>
> Maybe in my next life I will want all those features.  Right
> now I want to make a charge, then enter it into GnuCash
> (or similar), see what my running balance is (how much I
> have left on the card to charge), enter the ending balance
> when I get my statement, and make sure the statement agrees with
> what GnuCash says it should say.

Unfortunately, you aren’t going to see remaining credit available. (that is a pending feature request, but no time table on it being implemented)

Otherwise, GnuCash can do what you are looking for concerning that card.

> I just DO NOT CARE where my payments come from, just
> that I actually made a payment and the payment shows
> up on the bank statement.

See my other reply. No way out on this one. I’ll offer the suggestion to create a generic asset account and use that, but I’d caution against it. At the least, if you insist, I highly re-iterate my recommendation to include as much info for those payments as possible so later, a few months from now, when you realize you do need to track where those payments came from (so your check book balances correctly if you paid from it) then you’ll have the info needed to assign those payments properly.

> My head is spinning.  The how to guides I found on the web
> tell you how to set up an account, but not how to operate
> it once it is set up
>
> I have chapter one up on the screen right now.  If you hear
> a loud thump, my head just hit the table and I did not make
> it to chapter two.  These kind of guides put me to sleep.
> In college, I had to record my teachers lectures as I slept
> through them.  The times I forced myself to stay awake,
> I actually started hallucinating and did not retain anything.
> But the balls dangling in front of my eyes were pretty!
>
> Thank you for all the continuing help,
> -T

I get it. They aren’t an exciting read. I feel the same way about them. But they are accurate and they do explain how to use the software.

If you try to wing it, you are going to keep your head spinning.

That is, your head is spinning precisely because you are trying to make guesses and proceeding by trial and error. That way lies no end of grief when using GnuCash.

For starters, SLOW DOWN. You’ll get through this faster than you think as long as you don’t try to move too fast and not first try to understand how to do it.

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Colin Law
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 07:25, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ..
> I will be reconciling by hand from my bank's statements.
> When I find an entry, do I manually change it to "c"?

Just to re-enforce what Adrien said, you don't need do this by hand (I
don't think I have ever done that).  There is a Reconcile dialog that
will appear if you click the toolbar button or select Actions >
Reconcile which will allow you enter the closing balance from the bank
statement and will then let you tick off the entries that match the
bank statement.  Simple.

Generally in GnuCash if it is difficult or laborious you are doing it
wrong.  Unless you are trying to do something unusual at least.

Colin

Re: [GNC] n and c?

GnuCash - User mailing list
On 4/11/19 1:08 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 07:25, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ..
>> I will be reconciling by hand from my bank's statements.
>> When I find an entry, do I manually change it to "c"?
>
> Just to re-enforce what Adrien said, you don't need do this by hand (I
> don't think I have ever done that).  There is a Reconcile dialog that
> will appear if you click the toolbar button or select Actions >
> Reconcile which will allow you enter the closing balance from the bank
> statement and will then let you tick off the entries that match the
> bank statement.  Simple.
>
> Generally in GnuCash if it is difficult or laborious you are doing it
> wrong.  Unless you are trying to do something unusual at least.
>
> Colin

I think I am trying to turn it into something it is not.
A howitzer when I only need a b-b gun.

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Robert Heller
At Wed, 10 Apr 2019 22:01:27 -0700 ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> On a credit card account, in the "R" column, what is "blank", "n", and
> "c" stand for?

c = cleared
y = reconciled
n = ?

> And does "R" stand for "reconcile"?

Yes

When you get your credit card statement, you match up what is on that
statement (charges, payments, interest, fees, etc.) with what you have in
GnyCash, and then reconcile your recorded balance (as of the statement date)
and the balance on the statement.  If things are good (everything matches),
you click the green circle and the c's change to y's.

> Many thanks,
> -T

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Stephen M. Butler
On 4/11/19 1:13 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:

> On 4/11/19 1:08 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 07:25, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> ..
>>> I will be reconciling by hand from my bank's statements.
>>> When I find an entry, do I manually change it to "c"?
>>
>> Just to re-enforce what Adrien said, you don't need do this by hand (I
>> don't think I have ever done that).  There is a Reconcile dialog that
>> will appear if you click the toolbar button or select Actions >
>> Reconcile which will allow you enter the closing balance from the bank
>> statement and will then let you tick off the entries that match the
>> bank statement.  Simple.
>>
>> Generally in GnuCash if it is difficult or laborious you are doing it
>> wrong.  Unless you are trying to do something unusual at least.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> I think I am trying to turn it into something it is not.
> A howitzer when I only need a b-b gun.

For a number of years I used an Excel spreadsheet to track my checking
account.  However, as life got more complicated and the tax laws (USA)
more convoluted the work needed to categorize the tax relevant income
and expenses became overwhelming.   Especially when they had to be
summarized for the CPA in order to file taxes (I've found they find
enough extra deductions that offsets their expense).

I went looking for an accounting package and looked at one that my wife
used in her job (she is an accountant/bookkeeper).  However, it was
expensive and needed to be "rented" annually.  So my foray into
GnuCash.  Thankfully, I was familiar with accounting principles and jargon.

There is this thing called "Chart of Accounts".  The way you set that up
makes all the difference in the world about how you use GnuCash.  Here
is my take:

Decide what you need to know/track for each of the 4 basic accounting
types -- the 5the one will take care of itself according to accounting
rules.

ASSETS:  These are things you own.  Cars, boats, toys, house, bank
accounts, investments, etc.  Having lived a long life and worked a lot,
my list is rather long.  If you rent and don't care about the cash in
your pocket and the car is a beater, you might be interested only in the
checking account.  You decide the level of detail you want to track.

LIABILITIES:  These are things you owe.  Like that credit card!  Here
would go the house loan, the car loan, (boat loan), plus any other short
or long-term debt instrument (amounts you borrowed).

INCOME:  Sources that bring you money.  Like your employer(s).  Interest
on your bank accounts, etc.

EXPENSE:  Things for which you spend money.  Gas, rent, groceries,
clothes, etc.

EQUITY/CAPITAL:  This is the 5th category and at it's simplest is equal
to your net worth, or ASSETS minus LIABILITIES.

You could get away with just those 5 high level accounts and lump all
details within a category into a single account.  However, as another
user noted, you should get more detailed than that.  If your life is
only about the credit card (Liability) then go for it.  However, think
about each category and ask yourself if there is something in that group
for which you get a statement (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly,
annually) to which you should reconcile your information.  If so, set up
a more detailed account under that category to track just that
information.  Then think of the detailed lines you need to fill out for
your taxes and set up more detailed accounts in the appropriate category
to track those numbers.

Finally, if you use a CPA, show them what you have from the above and
ask for their input.  They can help you organize it in a way that will
help them when you come back next time.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] n and c?

GnuCash - User mailing list
On 4/11/19 12:00 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> [...]
> details within a category into a single account.  However, as another
> user noted, you should get more detailed than that.  If your life is
> only about the credit card (Liability) then go for it.  However, think
> about each category and ask yourself if there is something in that group
> for which you get a statement (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly,
> annually) to which you should reconcile your information.  If so, set up
> a more detailed account under that category to track just that
> information.  Then think of the detailed lines you need to fill out for
> your taxes and set up more detailed accounts in the appropriate category
> to track those numbers.
>
> Finally, if you use a CPA, show them what you have from the above and
> ask for their input.  They can help you organize it in a way that will

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial.  I do believe my
mistake was thinking GNuCash was something other than a
bookkeeping system.  And as such, is way, way overkill
for what I need.

-T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

On 4/11/19 6:03 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Wed, 10 Apr 2019 22:01:27 -0700 ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> On a credit card account, in the "R" column, what is "blank", "n", and
>> "c" stand for?
>
> c = cleared
> y = reconciled
> n = ?
>

>> And does "R" stand for "reconcile"?
>
> Yes
>
> When you get your credit card statement, you match up what is on that
> statement (charges, payments, interest, fees, etc.) with what you have in
> GnyCash, and then reconcile your recorded balance (as of the statement date)
> and the balance on the statement.  If things are good (everything matches),
> you click the green circle and the c's change to y's.

Thank you for the help!

Sounds perfect.  The only problem is that I can't figure out
how to dumb down GnuCash down from a Bookkeeping system to
and register.

I think I'd better just use a spreadsheet or go back to pencil and paper

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone-2
Todd,

In one of my lengthy replies, I offered a suggestion to create a generic asset account and use that to make your payments from. This would allow you to still track expenses on the card, but not worry about payment details. (of course, as I also noted, the more info you record now, the easier it will be to adjust those entries in the future should you decide you later want to re-assign the payments to proper real accounts)

Your other issues from what I can tell were with respect to comprehending the labels for the columns. I offered one solution via formal labels and viewing all splits at all times. Another is to never view those splits and leave the informal labels in place. (the default)

A spreadsheet might be just as much or more work. (harder for reporting or else your manual entries can get tiresome and certainly hard to audit)

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 2:42 PM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 4/11/19 6:03 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
>> At Wed, 10 Apr 2019 22:01:27 -0700 ToddAndMargo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> On a credit card account, in the "R" column, what is "blank", "n", and
>>> "c" stand for?
>> c = cleared
>> y = reconciled
>> n = ?
>>>
>>> And does "R" stand for "reconcile"?
>> Yes
>> When you get your credit card statement, you match up what is on that
>> statement (charges, payments, interest, fees, etc.) with what you have in
>> GnyCash, and then reconcile your recorded balance (as of the statement date)
>> and the balance on the statement.  If things are good (everything matches),
>> you click the green circle and the c's change to y's.
>
> Thank you for the help!
>
> Sounds perfect.  The only problem is that I can't figure out
> how to dumb down GnuCash down from a Bookkeeping system to
> and register.
>
> I think I'd better just use a spreadsheet or go back to pencil and paper

Re: [GNC] n and c?

Dennis Powless
If you only need a simple “check” register to track balances on accounts, there are numerous free apps for this on iPhone and Android platforms.  Yes, a simple spreadsheet with a few columns could do the trick too....(libreOffice is free and open source).  Date, transaction name, debit, credit, total etc.....

Gnucash is more of the whole package, ie quicken, msmoney, or others like it.

Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Todd,
>
> In one of my lengthy replies, I offered a suggestion to create a generic asset account and use that to make your payments from. This would allow you to still track expenses on the card, but not worry about payment details. (of course, as I also noted, the more info you record now, the easier it will be to adjust those entries in the future should you decide you later want to re-assign the payments to proper real accounts)
>
> Your other issues from what I can tell were with respect to comprehending the labels for the columns. I offered one solution via formal labels and viewing all splits at all times. Another is to never view those splits and leave the informal labels in place. (the default)
>
> A spreadsheet might be just as much or more work. (harder for reporting or else your manual entries can get tiresome and certainly hard to audit)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Apr 11, 2019, at 2:42 PM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> c = cleared
>>> y = reconciled

On 4/11/19 12:47 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> Todd,
>
> In one of my lengthy replies, I offered a suggestion to create a generic asset account and use that to make your payments from. This would allow you to still track expenses on the card, but not worry about payment details. (of course, as I also noted, the more info you record now, the easier it will be to adjust those entries in the future should you decide you later want to re-assign the payments to proper real accounts)
>
> Your other issues from what I can tell were with respect to comprehending the labels for the columns. I offered one solution via formal labels and viewing all splits at all times. Another is to never view those splits and leave the informal labels in place. (the default)
>
> A spreadsheet might be just as much or more work. (harder for reporting or else your manual entries can get tiresome and certainly hard to audit)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Hi Adrien,

Maybe there is a way to save me from a #2 pencil.

I hate to sound stupid, but can you send me a link as to
how to do what you recommend (generic asset account)?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

On 4/11/19 1:02 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

>> Sounds perfect.  The only problem is that I can't figure out
>> how to dumb down GnuCash down from a Bookkeeping system to
>> and register.
>>
>> I think I'd better just use a spreadsheet or go back to pencil and paper
>

> Here is the spreadsheet I used before migrating to GnuCash.  It will act
> like a simple check register and has a column for entering a 'Y' when it
> clears to bank.  That way you can see what is still outstanding.  I
> removed the home loan calculator so if you need something like that, let
> me know.  This has sheets for Checking, Saving, and Money Market.  Feel
> free to create additional as needed.
>
> The zip file has both the Microsoft Excel version and the Open Office
> version.
>
> When you are ready to do the full on bookkeeping, come on back.  The
> group is here to help.

Seems simple enough.  Thank you!

Re: [GNC] n and c?

I’m not sure there is a particular link for that specific thing. (other than the Help manual on the GnuCash website - or via your Help menu, which contain some screenshots for clarity.)

Here’s a simple version:

Click the create new account button on the toolbar.

Make it of type `asset`.

Give it any name you like. (CC Funds?, CC Payments?)

Maybe give it a more meaningful `Description` for reference should you end up tracking other things and want to remember what this is for. (“placeholder for my credit card payments from multiple sources”)

Enter your payments in the credit card account as follows:

If using the default informal labels and ‘Basic View’ - as a ’Transfer payment’ from this new asset account. In Basic View you don’t see the other split and you don’t need to in this case. You just see that you made a payment. (the balancing ‘charge’ is hidden from view)

If using the Transaction Journal view and formal labels - assign the first account split to the credit card account as a debit (left column), then assign the second split to your generic asset account as a credit (right column).

---

If you want to track expenses by ‘category’ then you’ll need to create expense accounts for each one as the Help/Guide describe. You’ll enter those transactions as ’transfer charges’ to the relevant expense accounts. (in Basic View) If a single transaction has more than one category, you’ll need to use the ’Split’ button if you are in Basic View to add more than one.

If you are using Transaction Journal view and formal labels, then enter the first split assigned to the credit card account for the full charge amount as a credit. (right side) Then enter each line-item expense (if more than one) assigned to each expense account as debits. (left side)

Of course, the view and the label choice are not tied together. You could use formal labels and Basic View or informal labels and Transaction Journal view. It’s a personal preference.

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 3:04 PM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 4/11/19 12:47 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> Todd,
>> In one of my lengthy replies, I offered a suggestion to create a generic asset account and use that to make your payments from. This would allow you to still track expenses on the card, but not worry about payment details. (of course, as I also noted, the more info you record now, the easier it will be to adjust those entries in the future should you decide you later want to re-assign the payments to proper real accounts)
>> Your other issues from what I can tell were with respect to comprehending the labels for the columns. I offered one solution via formal labels and viewing all splits at all times. Another is to never view those splits and leave the informal labels in place. (the default)
>> A spreadsheet might be just as much or more work. (harder for reporting or else your manual entries can get tiresome and certainly hard to audit)
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>
> Hi Adrien,
>
> Maybe there is a way to save me from a #2 pencil.
>
> I hate to sound stupid, but can you send me a link as to
> how to do what you recommend (generic asset account)?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Re: [GNC] n and c?

GnuCash - User mailing list
On 4/11/19 1:25 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> I’m not sure there is a particular link for that specific thing. (other than the Help manual on the GnuCash website - or via your Help menu, which contain some screenshots for clarity.)
>
> Here’s a simple version:

Hi Adrian,

I will have to read over this very carefully.

A word of explanation.  I wrote my own database for my
business.  Parts and expenses are entered directly into
it.  When you click on the tab for say, cost of good
sold or office supplies, it prints out a report.  And
it tells you what line to place the totals on which
tax form.  It also makes sure all my charges total out
to all my payments exactly 100%.  My invoicing is the
same way.  Frater Luca Bartolomes Pacioli would be
proud of me.

So all the categories that GnuCash likes to take care of
are not of interest to me.  The bookkeeping is already
done.  I just want to make my checking and visa
statements electronic and easier to balance.

Thank you for all the gracious help!

-T

12