[GNC] multiple accounts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] multiple accounts

Bob Sisk
Can I set up Gnucash for separate accounts, as an example, more than one
business account and a separate personal account with a totally separate
set of data files for each to keep up with finances?

--
/Robert Sisk
[hidden email]
(210)716-6400/
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

stevecoh2@gmail.com
Coo
CvvcoCh
me

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 2:55 PM Bob Sisk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can I set up Gnucash for separate accounts, as an example, more than one
> business account and a separate personal account with a totally separate
> set of data files for each to keep up with finances?
>
> --
> /Robert Sisk
> [hidden email]
> (210)716-6400/
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Derek Atkins-3
In reply to this post by Bob Sisk
Yes.  We call that a "set of books".  And GnuCash will let you have as
many different sets of books as you like.  However, GnuCash will only keep
one set of books open at a time, so you will have to close and open them
to switch between them.  (Or have multiple copies of GnuCash open
simultaneously, which may or may not be possible depending on your OS)

-derek

On Wed, July 17, 2019 2:54 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:

> Can I set up Gnucash for separate accounts, as an example, more than one
> business account and a separate personal account with a totally separate
> set of data files for each to keep up with finances?
>
> --
> /Robert Sisk
> [hidden email]
> (210)716-6400/
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>


--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Bob Sisk
I tried setting up another set of books, then when I tried to open my
original set it would not allow me to open it, it kept opening the
second set. I had to uninstall Gnucash then open my backup date to open
the original set of books. ?????

On 7/17/19 2:02 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Yes.  We call that a "set of books".  And GnuCash will let you have as
> many different sets of books as you like.  However, GnuCash will only keep
> one set of books open at a time, so you will have to close and open them
> to switch between them.  (Or have multiple copies of GnuCash open
> simultaneously, which may or may not be possible depending on your OS)
>
> -derek
>
> On Wed, July 17, 2019 2:54 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:
>> Can I set up Gnucash for separate accounts, as an example, more than one
>> business account and a separate personal account with a totally separate
>> set of data files for each to keep up with finances?
>>
>> --
>> /Robert Sisk
>> [hidden email]
>> (210)716-6400/
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>
>
--
/Robert Sisk
[hidden email]
(210)716-6400/
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Stan Brown

On 2019-07-17 15:42, Bob Sisk wrote:
> I tried setting up another set of books, then when I tried to open my
> original set it would not allow me to open it, it kept opening the
> second set. I had to uninstall Gnucash then open my backup date to
> open the original set of books. ?????

I'm not sure what you mean by "would not allow". There are two ways you
can select a file in GC. (There may be more, but I know of two.)

* Open GC without a command-line argument. In this case GC will
automatically open the last file you were working with. If that's not
the one you want, you can simply click File ยป Open and open the one you
want.

* Open GC with the path and name of the desired file on the command
line. You may find it helpful to create a set of shortcuts or aliases to
pen the files you work with frequently -- IMHO that is a lot easier than
using the file picker built into GC.

--
Regards,
Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Derek Atkins-3
In reply to this post by Bob Sisk
Hi,

On Wed, July 17, 2019 3:42 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:
> I tried setting up another set of books, then when I tried to open my
> original set it would not allow me to open it, it kept opening the
> second set. I had to uninstall Gnucash then open my backup date to open
> the original set of books. ?????

What OS are you on?  If you are on a Mac, then you're hitting the
"clicking on a file does NOT open the file you clicked on" issue, which is
only on a Mac.  Specifically, on a Mac, GnuCash will always open the
last-opened file, regardless of what file/icon you click on.  I.e., on a
Mac you MUST ALWAYS use File -> Open to change to different files.

If you're not on a Mac, then I don't understand what might have happened.
When you do File -> New File it should close the current set of books and
let you create a new one.  And then you can File -> Save to save it (with
a unique name / location).  Then you can File -> Open to change between
them.

-derek

> On 7/17/19 2:02 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Yes.  We call that a "set of books".  And GnuCash will let you have as
>> many different sets of books as you like.  However, GnuCash will only
>> keep
>> one set of books open at a time, so you will have to close and open them
>> to switch between them.  (Or have multiple copies of GnuCash open
>> simultaneously, which may or may not be possible depending on your OS)
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Wed, July 17, 2019 2:54 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:
>>> Can I set up Gnucash for separate accounts, as an example, more than
>>> one
>>> business account and a separate personal account with a totally
>>> separate
>>> set of data files for each to keep up with finances?
>>>
>>> --
>>> /Robert Sisk
>>> [hidden email]
>>> (210)716-6400/
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----
>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>>
>>
> --
> /Robert Sisk
> [hidden email]
> (210)716-6400/
>


--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Mike or Penny Novack-4
In reply to this post by Bob Sisk
On 7/17/2019 3:42 PM, Bob Sisk wrote:
> I tried setting up another set of books, then when I tried to open my
> original set it would not allow me to open it, it kept opening the
> second set. I had to uninstall Gnucash then open my backup date to
> open the original set of books. ?????

Misunderstanding. You meant to say you didn't KNOW how to do it, and
instead of asking for help, assumed that reinstalling gnucash and backup
data was the solution.

a) IF you are going to have several sets of books (I do) and if it is
pretty random which you would want to open (not particularly more likely
the last one open) you probably should use the -nofile parameter. We can
explain how you set that up. Then, when you start gnucash it won't open  
any but give you a list of the last four and let you choose. BUT, you
could still use file=>open to open a different one not on that list.

b) If you have two (or more) but only one is much used you could simply
start gnucash. It will open that set of books BUT you can use file=>open
to open another instead.

Michael D Novack



_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Bob Sisk
In reply to this post by Derek Atkins-3
I am running Linux Mint, latest version 19.1 Cinnamon.

*/Robert L Sisk
[hidden email]
(210 716-6400/*
On 7/17/19 3:44 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, July 17, 2019 3:42 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:
>> I tried setting up another set of books, then when I tried to open my
>> original set it would not allow me to open it, it kept opening the
>> second set. I had to uninstall Gnucash then open my backup date to open
>> the original set of books. ?????
> What OS are you on?  If you are on a Mac, then you're hitting the
> "clicking on a file does NOT open the file you clicked on" issue, which is
> only on a Mac.  Specifically, on a Mac, GnuCash will always open the
> last-opened file, regardless of what file/icon you click on.  I.e., on a
> Mac you MUST ALWAYS use File -> Open to change to different files.
>
> If you're not on a Mac, then I don't understand what might have happened.
> When you do File -> New File it should close the current set of books and
> let you create a new one.  And then you can File -> Save to save it (with
> a unique name / location).  Then you can File -> Open to change between
> them.
>
> -derek
>
>> On 7/17/19 2:02 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Yes.  We call that a "set of books".  And GnuCash will let you have as
>>> many different sets of books as you like.  However, GnuCash will only
>>> keep
>>> one set of books open at a time, so you will have to close and open them
>>> to switch between them.  (Or have multiple copies of GnuCash open
>>> simultaneously, which may or may not be possible depending on your OS)
>>>
>>> -derek
>>>
>>> On Wed, July 17, 2019 2:54 pm, Bob Sisk wrote:
>>>> Can I set up Gnucash for separate accounts, as an example, more than
>>>> one
>>>> business account and a separate personal account with a totally
>>>> separate
>>>> set of data files for each to keep up with finances?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> /Robert Sisk
>>>> [hidden email]
>>>> (210)716-6400/
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>>> [hidden email]
>>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>>> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>>> -----
>>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>>>
>> --
>> /Robert Sisk
>> [hidden email]
>> (210)716-6400/
>>
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Colin Law
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 at 21:56, Robert Sisk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am running Linux Mint, latest version 19.1 Cinnamon.

So how were you trying to open the accounts file that it says it would
not allow?  Accounts files (or books) are just files in exactly the
same way way that, for example, MS Word documents are files.

Colin
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Bob Sisk
Bob,

If you are only using one or two sets of books you can create two entries in
the Linux Mint menu for gnucash and edit the command to specifically open
one or other of the data file by supplying a full path to the command.

if you open a terminal and type gnucash --help  you will get the help  which
gives you the command format for starting gnucash.

Not sure how familiar you are with editing the Linux Mint Menu. Right click
on the Menu icon at the lower left of the screen and select Configure. When
the dialog opens up select the Menu button at the top and thern click on
"Open the Menu Editor" button. When the editor opens up, click on the
"Office" item in the LH panel which will display the menu items under that
heading in the RH panel.  It is better to create a new launcher as the
system defined ones do not have an editable Name (don't know why).
Click the New Item button In the Name field type in GnuCash and something
which identifies the file you want to open in GnuCash ( a persons name etc)
so you will be able to distinguish this from a second launcher for the other
file. To select an icon click on the rocket ship icon Select browse in the
popup and browse to /usr/local/share/gnucash/pixmaps and select
gnucash-icon.ico, click on the icon image in the editor and hit the Select
button to assign it to the launcher. In the Command field type gnucash <path
to your datafile> using the full path to the file you want to open. The
Launcher properties editor should look like  Launcher_Properties_023.png
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t375329/Launcher_Properties_023.png>  
when you are finished. *Note if the path has filenames with spaces in it
enclose the path in quotes.*

Setup the second launcher with the other file path the same way (and more
launchers if you have more than two files). You may want to delete the
original launcher that was created on installation. It usually displays as
GnuCash + name of the last file opened in the Menu which then can be a bit
confusing to have two launchers pointing to the same file.

David Cousens



-----
David Cousens
--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

David Cousens
In reply to this post by Bob Sisk
Bob

An additional point. At least on Linux you can have multiple instances of
GnuCash running open at different files at the same time.

David



-----
David Cousens
--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
David Cousens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] multiple accounts

Mike or Penny Novack-4
On 7/18/2019 3:27 AM, David Cousens wrote:
> Bob
>
> An additional point. At least on Linux you can have multiple instances of
> GnuCash running open at different files at the same time.
>
> David
>
But a word of warning. You might think you could save time by having
more than one set of books open at a time. But I guarantee you, ONE
mistake where you have accidentally entered a transaction into the wrong
set of books will take you more time to find/solve/fix than all the time
you have saved to that point.

Michael D Novack



_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.