[GNC] move files into sub folder

Karen Remick
When I installed GnuCash I told it to put files in the folder for my
business. I made the incorrect assumption that they'd be put into a
file. Instead they are mixed in with the other files for my business.
I'd like to put all the GnuCash files in one folder (let's call it
GnuCashFiles) and have the program add any new files to that folder. How
do I tell the program where the files are? I haven't seen the name of
the file they are currently in, so I don't know what to edit.

Re: [GNC] move files into sub folder

Adrien Monteleone-2
The GnuCash datafile ends in .gnucash.

Simply create your desired folder and move the file there. Then (if on Windows or Linux) double-click the data file to open it and GnuCash will remember its new location. Otherwise (or on a Mac) Open GnuCash first, (it will fail to find the last used file because you moved it) and choose File > Open and then navigate to the new location and select the data file and click `Open`.

There may be other files (logs, backups) associated with your GnuCash data file, you can move them all to the same place. (but GnuCash will create new ones in the new directory anyway)

> On Apr 13, 2019, at 11:45 PM, Karen Remick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I installed GnuCash I told it to put files in the folder for my business. I made the incorrect assumption that they'd be put into a file. Instead they are mixed in with the other files for my business. I'd like to put all the GnuCash files in one folder (let's call it GnuCashFiles) and have the program add any new files to that folder. How do I tell the program where the files are? I haven't seen the name of the file they are currently in, so I don't know what to edit.

Re: [GNC] move files into sub folder

Alternatively, after creating the subfolder, open Gnucash (which will open your last file automatically), select File->Save As, and save your file to the new subfolder. Exit Gnucash and verify that your file its in its new location, and then clear out the old folder.

David