[GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

12

[GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
MacBook Pro
Intel core i5

please instruct. thanks so much.

love
suk wah

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

John Ralls

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 5:19 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> MacBook Pro
> Intel core i5
>
> please instruct. thanks so much.

The process is to download the dmg, open it, and drag GnuCash somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon again and it should start up.

If that's what you did and it didn't work, please detail what happened that's different.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

John Ralls
Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Reply all (the double arrow icon) works well.

A dmg is a MacOS disk image file. That's the kind of file that we use to distribute the GnuCash packages from Sourceforge and Github. After downloading  most browsers will open it on their own, but if your's doesn't you can find it in your downloads folder and double-click it. It will open as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.

You unmount by control-clicking with the mouse inside that Finder window and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting context menu.

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 7:57 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> namaskar john,
>
> sorry i don't know what dmg is.
>
> wild guess. does it mean to download GnuCash 3.4 Mac OS X Intel?
>
> thanks so much,
> love and respect
> suk wah
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 7:44 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 5:19 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > MacBook Pro
> > Intel core i5
> >
> > please instruct. thanks so much.
>
> The process is to download the dmg, open it, and drag GnuCash somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon again and it should start up.
>
> If that's what you did and it didn't work, please detail what happened that's different.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
thanks for reminder about copying the list.

 after "verifying gnucash" a window pops up, asking if i want to open this
thing from internet, i click 'yes', then gnucash icon in dock disappears.

i tried again. still doesn't work.

thanks,
love and respect
suk wah

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Reply all (the double
> arrow icon) works well.
>
> A dmg is a MacOS disk image file. That's the kind of file that we use to
> distribute the GnuCash packages from Sourceforge and Github. After
> downloading  most browsers will open it on their own, but if your's doesn't
> you can find it in your downloads folder and double-click it. It will open
> as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.
>
> You unmount by control-clicking with the mouse inside that Finder window
> and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting context
> menu.

> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 7:57 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > namaskar john,
> >
> > sorry i don't know what dmg is.
> >
> > wild guess. does it mean to download GnuCash 3.4 Mac OS X Intel?
> >
> > thanks so much,
> > love and respect
> > suk wah
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 7:44 PM John Ralls <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > On Mar 19, 2019, at 5:19 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > MacBook Pro
> > > Intel core i5
> > >
> > > please instruct. thanks so much.
> >
> > The process is to download the dmg, open it, and drag GnuCash somewhere;
> the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes eject the dmg
> then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You should first get
> a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is something that you
> downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it? Tell that
> yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar called something
> like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash should start, but
> doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon again and it should
> start up.
> >
> > If that's what you did and it didn't work, please detail what happened
> that's different.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

John Ralls
Some users have found that dragging the GnuCash icon from Applications to to the Dock allows GnuCash to start.

If that still fails, try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. It will open a window with a command prompt. At that prompt type
  /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash

copy any output after that and paste it into a reply.

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 8:36 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> thanks for reminder about copying the list.
>
>  after "verifying gnucash" a window pops up, asking if i want to open this thing from internet, i click 'yes', then gnucash icon in dock disappears.
>
> i tried again. still doesn't work.
>
> thanks,
> love and respect
> suk wah
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Reply all (the double arrow icon) works well.
>
> A dmg is a MacOS disk image file. That's the kind of file that we use to distribute the GnuCash packages from Sourceforge and Github. After downloading  most browsers will open it on their own, but if your's doesn't you can find it in your downloads folder and double-click it. It will open as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.
>
> You unmount by control-clicking with the mouse inside that Finder window and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting context menu.

> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 7:57 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > namaskar john,
> >
> > sorry i don't know what dmg is.
> >
> > wild guess. does it mean to download GnuCash 3.4 Mac OS X Intel?
> >
> > thanks so much,
> > love and respect
> > suk wah
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 7:44 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > On Mar 19, 2019, at 5:19 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > MacBook Pro
> > > Intel core i5
> > >
> > > please instruct. thanks so much.
> >
> > The process is to download the dmg, open it, and drag GnuCash somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon again and it should start up.
> >
> > If that's what you did and it didn't work, please detail what happened that's different.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
tried moving icon from within Finder window to Dock. didn't work.

moved Gnucash icon onto desktop.
clicked icon. still cannot open after 'verification'

opened Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
typed in /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash

now what do i do?

'copy any output after that and paste it into a reply.' what does this mean?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:52 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Some users have found that dragging the GnuCash icon from Applications to
> to the Dock allows GnuCash to start.
>
> If that still fails, try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. It will
> open a window with a command prompt. At that prompt type
>   /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
>
> copy any output after that and paste it into a reply.

> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 8:36 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > thanks for reminder about copying the list.
> >
> >  after "verifying gnucash" a window pops up, asking if i want to open
> this thing from internet, i click 'yes', then gnucash icon in dock
> disappears.
> >
> > i tried again. still doesn't work.
> >
> > thanks,
> > love and respect
> > suk wah
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM John Ralls <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Reply all (the double
> arrow icon) works well.
> >
> > A dmg is a MacOS disk image file. That's the kind of file that we use to
> distribute the GnuCash packages from Sourceforge and Github. After
> downloading  most browsers will open it on their own, but if your's doesn't
> you can find it in your downloads folder and double-click it. It will open
> as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.
> >
> > You unmount by control-clicking with the mouse inside that Finder window
> and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting context
> menu.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Mar 19, 2019, at 7:57 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > namaskar john,
> > >
> > > sorry i don't know what dmg is.
> > >
> > > wild guess. does it mean to download GnuCash 3.4 Mac OS X Intel?
> > >
> > > thanks so much,
> > > love and respect
> > > suk wah

> > > The process is to download the dmg, open it, and drag GnuCash
> somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes
> eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You
> should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is
> something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to
> run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar
> called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash
> should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon
> again and it should start up.
> > >
> > > If that's what you did and it didn't work, please detail what happened
> that's different.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John Ralls

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

Chris Tsuji
   HI,
   I am using Mac os 10.14.3
   After I unstuffed GNUCash, I moved the entire folder, gnucash 3.3 into
   my application folder and then restared my computer.
   After the restart, i went to the application folder and opened the
   gnucash folder and double clicked on the gnucash icon.
   It opened okay and I had no problems.

   I have not tried gnucash 3.4 yet.
   Hope that helps.

   Chris tsuji
   San Jose

   Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 9:05 PM
   From: "suk wah Bernstein" <[hidden email]>
   To: "John Ralls" <[hidden email]>
   Subject: Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH
   wrote:
> [...]
   > > >
   > > > The process is to download the dmg, open it, and drag GnuCash
   > somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy
   completes
   > eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder.
   You
   > should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that
   GnuCash is
   > something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you
   want to
   > run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress
   bar
   > called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash
   > should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the
   icon
   > again and it should start up.
   > > >
   > > > If that's what you did and it didn't work, please detail what

   [2]https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

References

   2. https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:05 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> tried moving icon from within Finder window to Dock. didn't work.

Does that mean that you weren't able to get it to stay in the Dock?

> moved Gnucash icon onto desktop.
> clicked icon. still cannot open after 'verification'

Is it verifying every time you try to open it? That should happen only the first time you try to open it after copying it to Applications.

> opened Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
> typed in /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
>
> now what do i do?

Press Return

> 'copy any output after that and paste it into a reply.' what does this mean?

It means that you drag your mouse over the output with the button held down so that the text is highlighted. Let go of the mouse and hold down the command-key while pressing C. Open a reply email, click in it, then hold down the command-key while pressing V. The text from Terminal that you highlighted will be copied into the email.

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:52 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some users have found that dragging the GnuCash icon from Applications to to the Dock allows GnuCash to start.
>
> If that still fails, try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. It will open a window with a command prompt. At that prompt type
>   /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
>
> copy any output after that and paste it into a reply.

> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 8:36 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > thanks for reminder about copying the list.
> >
> >  after "verifying gnucash" a window pops up, asking if i want to open this thing from internet, i click 'yes', then gnucash icon in dock disappears.
> >
> > i tried again. still doesn't work.
> >
> > thanks,
> > love and respect
> > suk wah
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Reply all (the double arrow icon) works well.
> >
> > A dmg is a MacOS disk image file. That's the kind of file that we use to distribute the GnuCash packages from Sourceforge and Github. After downloading  most browsers will open it on their own, but if your's doesn't you can find it in your downloads folder and double-click it. It will open as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.
> >
> > You unmount by control-clicking with the mouse inside that Finder window and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting context menu.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Mar 19, 2019, at 7:57 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > namaskar john,
> > >
> > > sorry i don't know what dmg is.
> > >
> > > wild guess. does it mean to download GnuCash 3.4 Mac OS X Intel?
> > >
> > > thanks so much,
> > > love and respect
> > > suk wah

> > > The process is to download the dmg, open it, and drag GnuCash somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon again and it should start up.
> > >
> > > If that's what you did and it didn't work, please detail what happened that's different.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John Ralls

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
please see my responses to yours embedded in blue in msg below.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:48 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:05 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > tried moving icon from within Finder window to Dock. didn't work.
>
> Does that mean that you weren't able to get it to stay in the Dock? yes,
> i wasn't able to get it to stay in Dock.
>

> > moved Gnucash icon onto desktop.
> > clicked icon. still cannot open after 'verification'
>
> Is it verifying every time you try to open it? That should happen only the
> first time you try to open it after copying it to Applications. yes, it
> verified the two times i tried to open.

a new thing just happened. i tried to drag icon from desktop into
Applications. a color wheel keeps turning between icon and Applications. i
noticed, somehow, i had highlighted GNUCASH-INTEL-2.4.7

> > opened Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
> > typed in /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
> >
> > now what do i do?
>
> Press Return
>

> > 'copy any output after that and paste it into a reply.' what does this
> mean?
>
> It means that you drag your mouse over the output with the button held
> down so that the text is highlighted. Let go of the mouse and hold down the
> command-key while pressing C. Open a reply email, click in it, then hold
> down the command-key while pressing V. The text from Terminal that you
> highlighted will be copied into the email.

here it is

dyld: Symbol not found: _inflateValidate

  Referenced from:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib

  Expected in: /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libz.1.dylib

 in
/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libPng.dylib

Abort trap: 6
Suk-Wahs-MacBook-Pro:~ SukWahB$ dyld: Symbol not found: _inflateValidate

[...]

color wheel is still spinning between icon and Applications. what should i
do? reboot?

> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:52 PM John Ralls <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Some users have found that dragging the GnuCash icon from Applications
> to to the Dock allows GnuCash to start.
> >
> > If that still fails, try opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. It
> will open a window with a command prompt. At that prompt type
> >   /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
> >
> > copy any output after that and paste it into a reply.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Mar 19, 2019, at 8:36 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > thanks for reminder about copying the list.
> > >
> > >  after "verifying gnucash" a window pops up, asking if i want to open
> this thing from internet, i click 'yes', then gnucash icon in dock
> disappears.
> > >
> > > i tried again. still doesn't work.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > love and respect
> > > suk wah
> > >
> > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:16 PM John Ralls <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Reply all (the double
> arrow icon) works well.
> > >
> > > A dmg is a MacOS disk image file. That's the kind of file that we use
> to distribute the GnuCash packages from Sourceforge and Github. After
> downloading  most browsers will open it on their own, but if your's doesn't
> you can find it in your downloads folder and double-click it. It will open
> as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.
> > >
> > > You unmount by control-clicking with the mouse inside that Finder
> window and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting
> context menu.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > John Ralls

> somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes
> eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You
> should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is
> something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to
> run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar
> called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash
> should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon
> again and it should start up.

> happened that's different.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
fyi color wheels still spinning in desktop where icon is and Applications
after several hours. email working.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 7:53 AM suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.

>> window and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting
>> context menu.

>> somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes
>> eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You
>> should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is
>> something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to
>> run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar
>> called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash
>> should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon
>> again and it should start up.

>> happened that's different.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

fyi FINDER not responding. force quit?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:34 AM suk wah Bernstein <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> as a Finder window showing a bunch of files including Gnucash.

>>> window and selecting "unmount Gnucash-Intel-3.4.dmg" from the resulting
>>> context menu.

>>> somewhere; the Applications folder is popular. After the copy completes
>>> eject the dmg then double click the icon in the Applications folder. You
>>> should first get a dialog box from GateKeeper telling you that GnuCash is
>>> something that you downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to
>>> run it? Tell that yes, then you'll get another dialog with a progress bar
>>> called something like "Verifying GnuCash". When that finishes GnuCash
>>> should start, but doesn't always. If it doesn't, double click on the icon
>>> again and it should start up.

>>> happened that's different.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

Maf. King
On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 19:52:28 GMT suk wah Bernstein wrote:
> fyi FINDER not responding. force quit?
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:34 AM suk wah Bernstein <
>
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > fyi color wheels still spinning in desktop where icon is and Applications
> > after several hours. email working.

Hi,

I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.

I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4, but
then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some old
partial installation of an old GC lying around?

Maf.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
I am trying to download Gnucash 3.4, still failing at opening it.

Meanwhile, in Applications Folder, there is a hardrive icon, under the old
Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
Wild guess, it may be to do with the Gnucash version that I have been using
and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 19:52:28 GMT suk wah Bernstein wrote:
> > fyi FINDER not responding. force quit?
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:34 AM suk wah Bernstein <
> >
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > fyi color wheels still spinning in desktop where icon is and
> Applications
> > > after several hours. email working.
> > >

> Hi,
>
> I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.
>
> I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4, but
> then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some old
> partial installation of an old GC lying around?
>
> Maf.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

John Ralls
Maf's right, 2.4.7 is very old and is indeed too old to run on Mojave. The _inflate_validate error message is consistent with trying to run too old a version of GnuCash. If it's still spinning the beachball then by all means force-quit. Then drag Gnucash to the trash and empty the trash.

You can download the latest release of GnuCash from https://www.gnucash.org.

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 2:07 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am trying to download Gnucash 3.4, still failing at opening it.
>
> Meanwhile, in Applications Folder, there is a hardrive icon, under the old Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
> Wild guess, it may be to do with the Gnucash version that I have been using and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 19:52:28 GMT suk wah Bernstein wrote:
> > fyi FINDER not responding. force quit?
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:34 AM suk wah Bernstein <
> >
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > fyi color wheels still spinning in desktop where icon is and Applications
> > > after several hours. email working.
> > >

> Hi,
>
> I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.
>
> I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4, but
> then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some old
> partial installation of an old GC lying around?
>
> Maf.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
yay! it opened, quit suddenly, reopened...

what great support! such amazing community! so much connection, such
love💞😘👏👍🌹

blessings
suk wah

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Maf's right, 2.4.7 is very old and is indeed too old to run on Mojave. The
> _inflate_validate error message is consistent with trying to run too old a
> version of GnuCash. If it's still spinning the beachball then by all means
> force-quit. Then drag Gnucash to the trash and empty the trash.
>
> You can download the latest release of GnuCash from
> https://www.gnucash.org.

> > On Mar 20, 2019, at 2:07 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to download Gnucash 3.4, still failing at opening it.
> >
> > Meanwhile, in Applications Folder, there is a hardrive icon, under the
> old Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
> > Wild guess, it may be to do with the Gnucash version that I have been
> using and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 19:52:28 GMT suk wah Bernstein wrote:
> > > fyi FINDER not responding. force quit?

> Applications
> > > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.
> >
> > I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4,
> but
> > then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some
> old
> > partial installation of an old GC lying around?
> >
> > Maf.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
good news is it is working so long as it stays open.
not so good news is it intermittently quits unexpectedly.

is there a way to stabilize? thanks so much for everything.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> yay! it opened, quit suddenly, reopened...
>
> what great support! such amazing community! so much connection, such
> love💞😘👏👍🌹
>
> blessings
> suk wah
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Maf's right, 2.4.7 is very old and is indeed too old to run on Mojave.
>> The _inflate_validate error message is consistent with trying to run too
>> old a version of GnuCash. If it's still spinning the beachball then by all
>> means force-quit. Then drag Gnucash to the trash and empty the trash.
>>
>> You can download the latest release of GnuCash from
>> https://www.gnucash.org.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
>> > On Mar 20, 2019, at 2:07 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am trying to download Gnucash 3.4, still failing at opening it.
>> >
>> > Meanwhile, in Applications Folder, there is a hardrive icon, under the
>> old Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
>> > Wild guess, it may be to do with the Gnucash version that I have been
>> using and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.

>> Applications
>> > > >

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.
>> >
>> > I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4,
>> but
>> > then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some
>> old
>> > partial installation of an old GC lying around?
>> >
>> > Maf.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

John Ralls
First let's see if we can figure out why it's quitting. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console and select User Reports from the sidebar. Are there any whose names start with Gnucash?

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 8:11 AM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> good news is it is working so long as it stays open.
> not so good news is it intermittently quits unexpectedly.
>
> is there a way to stabilize? thanks so much for everything.
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yay! it opened, quit suddenly, reopened...
>
> what great support! such amazing community! so much connection, such love💞😘👏👍🌹
>
> blessings
> suk wah
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maf's right, 2.4.7 is very old and is indeed too old to run on Mojave. The _inflate_validate error message is consistent with trying to run too old a version of GnuCash. If it's still spinning the beachball then by all means force-quit. Then drag Gnucash to the trash and empty the trash.
>
> You can download the latest release of GnuCash from https://www.gnucash.org.

> > On Mar 20, 2019, at 2:07 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to download Gnucash 3.4, still failing at opening it.
> >
> > Meanwhile, in Applications Folder, there is a hardrive icon, under the old Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
> > Wild guess, it may be to do with the Gnucash version that I have been using and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 20 March 2019 19:52:28 GMT suk wah Bernstein wrote:
> > > fyi FINDER not responding. force quit?

> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.
> >
> > I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4, but
> > then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some old
> > partial installation of an old GC lying around?
> >
> > Maf.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
yes, 9.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:09 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> First let's see if we can figure out why it's quitting. Open
> /Applications/Utilities/Console and select User Reports from the sidebar.
> Are there any whose names start with Gnucash?

> > On Mar 21, 2019, at 8:11 AM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > good news is it is working so long as it stays open.
> > not so good news is it intermittently quits unexpectedly.
> >
> > is there a way to stabilize? thanks so much for everything.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > yay! it opened, quit suddenly, reopened...
> >
> > what great support! such amazing community! so much connection, such
> love💞😘👏👍🌹
> >
> > blessings
> > suk wah
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM John Ralls <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Maf's right, 2.4.7 is very old and is indeed too old to run on Mojave.
> The _inflate_validate error message is consistent with trying to run too
> old a version of GnuCash. If it's still spinning the beachball then by all
> means force-quit. Then drag Gnucash to the trash and empty the trash.
> >
> > You can download the latest release of GnuCash from
> https://www.gnucash.org.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >
> > > On Mar 20, 2019, at 2:07 PM, suk wah Bernstein <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to download Gnucash 3.4, still failing at opening it.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, in Applications Folder, there is a hardrive icon, under the
> old Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
> > > Wild guess, it may be to do with the Gnucash version that I have been
> using and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.

> Applications
> > > > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.
> > >
> > > I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4,
> but
> > > then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some
> old
> > > partial installation of an old GC lying around?
> > >
> > > Maf.

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

suk wah bernstein
the last one is from last evening after successfully reconciled one
statement.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM suk wah Bernstein <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes, 9.
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:09 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> First let's see if we can figure out why it's quitting. Open
>> /Applications/Utilities/Console and select User Reports from the sidebar.
>> Are there any whose names start with Gnucash?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

>> > On Mar 21, 2019, at 8:11 AM, suk wah Bernstein <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > good news is it is working so long as it stays open.
>> > not so good news is it intermittently quits unexpectedly.
>> >
>> > is there a way to stabilize? thanks so much for everything.
>> >
>> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM suk wah Bernstein <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> > yay! it opened, quit suddenly, reopened...
>> >
>> > what great support! such amazing community! so much connection, such
>> love💞😘👏👍🌹
>> >
>> > blessings
>> > suk wah
>> >
>> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM John Ralls <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Maf's right, 2.4.7 is very old and is indeed too old to run on Mojave.
>> The _inflate_validate error message is consistent with trying to run too
>> old a version of GnuCash. If it's still spinning the beachball then by all
>> means force-quit. Then drag Gnucash to the trash and empty the trash.
>> >
>> > You can download the latest release of GnuCash from
>> https://www.gnucash.org.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > John Ralls

>> the old Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
>> using and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.

>> Applications

>> 3.4, but
>> old

Re: [GNC] macOS Mojave 10.14.3 cannot open GNUCASH

John Ralls
Good. Open it and find lines starting with Exception Type and Thread 1. Drag your mouse over all of the lines between those two so that they're highlighted. Press Command-C on the keyboard to copy them.

Open a reply to this email and click in the body, then press Command-V to paste the lines into the email. Send it.

> On Mar 21, 2019, at 12:46 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> the last one is from last evening after successfully reconciled one statement.
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes, 9.
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:09 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First let's see if we can figure out why it's quitting. Open /Applications/Utilities/Console and select User Reports from the sidebar. Are there any whose names start with Gnucash?

> > On Mar 21, 2019, at 8:11 AM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > good news is it is working so long as it stays open.
> > not so good news is it intermittently quits unexpectedly.
> >
> > is there a way to stabilize? thanks so much for everything.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 6:49 PM suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > yay! it opened, quit suddenly, reopened...
> >
> > what great support! such amazing community! so much connection, such love💞😘👏👍🌹
> >
> > blessings
> > suk wah
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:19 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Maf's right, 2.4.7 is very old and is indeed too old to run on Mojave. The _inflate_validate error message is consistent with trying to run too old a version of GnuCash. If it's still spinning the beachball then by all means force-quit. Then drag Gnucash to the trash and empty the trash.
> >
> > You can download the latest release of GnuCash from https://www.gnucash.org.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >
> > > On Mar 20, 2019, at 2:07 PM, suk wah Bernstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to download Gnucash 3.4, still failing at opening it.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, in Applications Folder, there is a hardrive icon, under the old Gnucash icon, titled Gnucash-Intel-2.4.7
> > > Wild guess, it may be to do with the Gnucash version that I have been using and working well before upgrading to Mojave. don't know for sure.

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I don't know Macs, but it sounds like a reboot might be a good idea.
> > >
> > > I am a bit confused, though.  You said you had downloaded Gnucash 3.4, but
> > > then you mention GC 2.4.7  -  which is *very* old.  have you got some old
> > > partial installation of an old GC lying around?
> > >
> > > Maf.

12