[GNC] macOS: Find... Functionality Not Present Beyond Description

[GNC] macOS: Find... Functionality Not Present Beyond Description

Jeff Kletsky-3
I've downloaded the macOS release version of GnuCash 3.4, 3.4+
(2018-12-30) and installed on two different machines, one running High
Sierra, the other running Mojave.

Neither machine seems to want to reveal anything in the search menu
other than Description and Contains. Even if another row is added, there
is no drop-down for any other options.

What are we missing here to get this needed functionality to work?

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: [GNC] macOS: Find... Functionality Not Present Beyond Description

Adrien Monteleone-2
How to use the Find assistant is covered in the Help Manual.

Chapter 8 Section 1 - Find.

Use the ‘Description’ drop down to choose which field you are searching. (defaults to ‘Description’ which is why the button is labeled as such)

Then choose your matching criteria. (defaults to ‘Contains’, but there are other options in the drop down)

Then enter the info you want to search for. (or exclude as the case may be)

As you complete each row of criteria, you can add more. So you can search for all transactions where both conditions of ‘Description’ that ‘Contains' ‘Wal-Mart’ and another line where ‘Account’ ‘Matches’ ‘Groceries’.

You can also choose to refine the search further if you like by using the ‘Refine Search’ radio button option and specifying additional criteria. This will narrow down the search rather than perform a new one.

Those drop downs should be all you need.

Note, you can also refine a view of a register with a filter.

If you are using the Business Features, be sure to read the pertinent sections on using Find within that context. (linked in the above basic section on Find in the Manual)

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Jeff Kletsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've downloaded the macOS release version of GnuCash 3.4, 3.4+ (2018-12-30) and installed on two different machines, one running High Sierra, the other running Mojave.
>
> Neither machine seems to want to reveal anything in the search menu other than Description and Contains. Even if another row is added, there is no drop-down for any other options.
>
> What are we missing here to get this needed functionality to work?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Re: [GNC] macOS: Find... Functionality Not Present Beyond Description

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Jeff Kletsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've downloaded the macOS release version of GnuCash 3.4, 3.4+ (2018-12-30) and installed on two different machines, one running High Sierra, the other running Mojave.
>
> Neither machine seems to want to reveal anything in the search menu other than Description and Contains. Even if another row is added, there is no drop-down for any other options.
>
> What are we missing here to get this needed functionality to work?

Probably needs a re-spin of the bundle. I see that on several dialog boxes, I just hadn't noticed because my usual usage doesn't involve more than clicking OK on the Since-last-run.

Re: [GNC] macOS: Find... Functionality Not Present Beyond Description

Adrien,

He knows how to use the find dialog. It's broken on MacOS in GnuCash 3.4.

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 3:56 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How to use the Find assistant is covered in the Help Manual.
>
> Chapter 8 Section 1 - Find.
>
> Use the ‘Description’ drop down to choose which field you are searching. (defaults to ‘Description’ which is why the button is labeled as such)
>
> Then choose your matching criteria. (defaults to ‘Contains’, but there are other options in the drop down)
>
> Then enter the info you want to search for. (or exclude as the case may be)
>
> As you complete each row of criteria, you can add more. So you can search for all transactions where both conditions of ‘Description’ that ‘Contains' ‘Wal-Mart’ and another line where ‘Account’ ‘Matches’ ‘Groceries’.
>
> You can also choose to refine the search further if you like by using the ‘Refine Search’ radio button option and specifying additional criteria. This will narrow down the search rather than perform a new one.
>
> Those drop downs should be all you need.
>
> Note, you can also refine a view of a register with a filter.
>
> If you are using the Business Features, be sure to read the pertinent sections on using Find within that context. (linked in the above basic section on Find in the Manual)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Feb 18, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Jeff Kletsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've downloaded the macOS release version of GnuCash 3.4, 3.4+ (2018-12-30) and installed on two different machines, one running High Sierra, the other running Mojave.
>>
>> Neither machine seems to want to reveal anything in the search menu other than Description and Contains. Even if another row is added, there is no drop-down for any other options.
>>
>> What are we missing here to get this needed functionality to work?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jeff

Re: [GNC] macOS: Find... Functionality Not Present Beyond Description

Adrien Monteleone-2
Fair enough. I’m also using 3.4 on Mojave and that dialog is working fine, which is why I went that route. Sorry if I misunderstood.

On 2/18/19 6:15 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Feb 18, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Jeff Kletsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've downloaded the macOS release version of GnuCash 3.4, 3.4+ (2018-12-30) and installed on two different machines, one running High Sierra, the other running Mojave.
>>
>> Neither machine seems to want to reveal anything in the search menu other than Description and Contains. Even if another row is added, there is no drop-down for any other options.
>>
>> What are we missing here to get this needed functionality to work?
>>
> Probably needs a re-spin of the bundle. I see that on several dialog boxes, I just hadn't noticed because my usual usage doesn't involve more than clicking OK on the Since-last-run.

Greatly appreciated, thanks!

We'll be able to get by until either there's a new release or I get a
clean account and builder up and running.

Jeff

Re: [GNC] macOS: Find... Functionality Not Present Beyond Description

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 6:49 PM, Jeff Kletsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 2/18/19 6:15 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>>> On Feb 18, 2019, at 3:31 PM, Jeff Kletsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've downloaded the macOS release version of GnuCash 3.4, 3.4+ (2018-12-30) and installed on two different machines, one running High Sierra, the other running Mojave.
>>>
>>> Neither machine seems to want to reveal anything in the search menu other than Description and Contains. Even if another row is added, there is no drop-down for any other options.
>>>
>>> What are we missing here to get this needed functionality to work?
>>>
>> Probably needs a re-spin of the bundle. I see that on several dialog boxes, I just hadn't noticed because my usual usage doesn't involve more than clicking OK on the Since-last-run.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
> Greatly appreciated, thanks!
>
> We'll be able to get by until either there's a new release or I get a clean account and builder up and running.

I just noticed something.

Do you have more than one monitor? If so, is GnuCash on the main one or (one of) the secondary one(s)? The surest way to tell which is "main" is to open System Preferences>Desktop & Screen Saver (shortcut: control-click on the desktop and select "Change Desktop Background"). Each monitor will get a dialog, and on all the secondary monitors the dialog will say "Secondary Desktop" in the title bar and will lack the close/hide/fullscreen stoplight in the upper left corner; the one on the main display will be a normal system preferences dialog with "Desktop & Screen Saver" in the title bar.

If it's all yes so far, try moving GnuCash to the main display and then opening the Find dialog (cmd-F or Edit>Find). Do the dropdowns work now?

On 2/19/19 8:58 AM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> Probably needs a re-spin of the bundle. I see that on several dialog boxes, I just hadn't noticed because my usual usage doesn't involve more than clicking OK on the Since-last-run.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>
>> Greatly appreciated, thanks!
>>
>> We'll be able to get by until either there's a new release or I get a clean account and builder up and running.
> I just noticed something.
>
> Do you have more than one monitor? If so, is GnuCash on the main one or (one of) the secondary one(s)? The surest way to tell which is "main" is to open System Preferences>Desktop & Screen Saver (shortcut: control-click on the desktop and select "Change Desktop Background"). Each monitor will get a dialog, and on all the secondary monitors the dialog will say "Secondary Desktop" in the title bar and will lack the close/hide/fullscreen stoplight in the upper left corner; the one on the main display will be a normal system preferences dialog with "Desktop & Screen Saver" in the title bar.
>
> If it's all yes so far, try moving GnuCash to the main display and then opening the Find dialog (cmd-F or Edit>Find). Do the dropdowns work now?

Yes, dual-monitor setup here.

Main window on secondary monitor

* Find Transaction window ("FTW") appears on secondary monitor
* Pull-downs do not function
* FTW can be dragged to primary monitor; touching pull-down area causes
"jump" of FTW to secondary monitor

Drag main window to primary monitor

* FTW follows
* FTW drop-downs function
* FTW can be dragged to secondary monitor; touching pull-down area
causes "jump" of FTW to primary monitor

Also, GnuCash doesn't do well with the monitors going to sleep, usually
(always?) crashing on wake.

I'll watch it more carefully, but at least this one looks like a failure
in libgdk

rocess:               Gnucash [61790]
Identifier:            org.gnucash.Gnucash
Version:               3.4-1 (3.4-1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Gnucash [61790]
User ID:               <redacted.

Date/Time:             2019-04-14 07:39:13.606 -0700
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.3 (18D109)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     3.3 (16P3133)
Anonymous UUID:        <redacted>

Time Awake Since Boot: 2300000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Notes:                 Translocated Process

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_ARITHMETIC (SIGFPE)
Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_DIV (divide by zero)
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Floating point exception: 8
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x8
Terminating Process:   exc handler [61790]

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libgdk-3.0.dylib                  0x000000010eb6e3d4
configure_monitor + 276
1   libgdk-3.0.dylib                  0x000000010eb6e49b
display_reconfiguration_callback + 139
2   com.apple.SkyLight                0x00007fff5909dc72
displayConfigFinalizedProc + 240
3   com.apple.SkyLight                0x00007fff590937f2
CGSPostLocalNotification + 420
4   com.apple.SkyLight                0x00007fff590933e4 (anonymous
namespace)::notify_datagram_handler(unsigned int, CGSDatagramType,
void*, unsigned long, void*) + 94
5   com.apple.SkyLight                0x00007fff590970dc
CGSDatagramReadStream::dispatch_next_main_queue_datagram() + 270
6   com.apple.SkyLight                0x00007fff592ec19e invocation
function for block in
CGSDatagramReadStream::dispatch_main_queue_datagrams_async(dispatch_queue_s*,
CGSDatagramReadStream*) + 59
7   libdispatch.dylib                 0x00007fff60185d53
_dispatch_call_block_and_release + 12
8   libdispatch.dylib                 0x00007fff60186dcf
_dispatch_client_callout + 8
9   libdispatch.dylib                 0x00007fff60191f63
_dispatch_main_queue_callback_4CF + 1125
10  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x00007fff32f880c7
__CFRUNLOOP_IS_SERVICING_THE_MAIN_DISPATCH_QUEUE__ + 9
11  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x00007fff32f877d6 __CFRunLoopRun
+ 2335
12  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x00007fff32f86c64
CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 463
13  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x00007fff3221dab5
RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 293
14  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x00007fff3221d7eb
ReceiveNextEventCommon + 618
15  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x00007fff3221d568
_BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
16  com.apple.AppKit                  0x00007fff304d8363 _DPSNextEvent + 997
17  com.apple.AppKit                  0x00007fff304d7102
-[NSApplication(NSEvent)
_nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 1362
18  libgdk-3.0.dylib                  0x000000010eb71ed2 poll_func + 178
19  libglib-2.0.0.dylib               0x000000010e30328d
g_main_context_iterate + 333
20  libglib-2.0.0.dylib               0x000000010e30360f g_main_loop_run
+ 223
21  libgtk-3.0.dylib                  0x000000010e5e746a gtk_main + 74
22  libgncmod-gnome-utils.dylib       0x00000001110dc93f
gnc_ui_start_event_loop + 47
23  org.gnucash.Gnucash               0x000000010e0091ec inner_main + 1116
24  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e154632
invoke_main_func + 34
25  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e134eef c_body + 15
26  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1bcc5a
vm_regular_engine + 1290
27  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1bbbff scm_call_n + 495
28  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1b88aa catch + 506
29  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e134ebc
scm_c_with_continuation_barrier + 140
30  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1b84b1 with_guile + 65
31  libgc.1.dylib                     0x000000010e2777fb
GC_call_with_stack_base + 27
32  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1b635b scm_with_guile + 43
33  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1545f5 scm_boot_guile + 69
34  org.gnucash.Gnucash               0x000000010e008bc1 main + 3425
35  libdyld.dylib                     0x00007fff601d4ed9 start + 1

[...]

> [...]

> 25  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e134eef c_body + 15
> 26  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1bcc5a vm_regular_engine + 1290
> 27  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1bbbff scm_call_n + 495
> 28  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1b88aa catch + 506
> 29  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e134ebc scm_c_with_continuation_barrier + 140
> 30  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1b84b1 with_guile + 65
> 31  libgc.1.dylib                     0x000000010e2777fb GC_call_with_stack_base + 27
> 32  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1b635b scm_with_guile + 43
> 33  libguile-2.2.1.dylib              0x000000010e1545f5 scm_boot_guile + 69
> 34  org.gnucash.Gnucash               0x000000010e008bc1 main + 3425
> 35  libdyld.dylib                     0x00007fff601d4ed9 start + 1

Upgrade to 3.5, it uses the latest Gtk in which the multi-monitor problems are fixed.