[GNC] individual stocks don't seem to add up to correct total.

[GNC] individual stocks don't seem to add up to correct total.

Novica Nakov
Hi,

I was trying to set up stocks in gnucash following
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/add_stock and as far as I can
tell I didn't do anything wrong.

What I got as a result was a hierarchy like this:

-investments
--stocks account
---stock 1
---stock 2

I'm guessing that the stock account should show the total value of
individual stocks. However, the value displayed in the stocks account
is smaller by some amount.

However, when I go to reports -> assets chart I can see a different
value which is the same total if I add the stock values together.

The reports -> assets pie chart on the other hand shows the value of
the stocks account.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or this is expected
behavior, or I am looking at a bug.

Thanks for any help.

-- novica

Re: [GNC] individual stocks don't seem to add up to correct total.

Novica Nakov
I forgot to add:
I'm using gnucash 3.4.

Re: [GNC] individual stocks don't seem to add up to correct total.

David Carlson-4
Novica,

The account that you call --stocks account should be of type Bank.  It
represents your brokerage account which is ddenominated in a currency,
usually your local default currency.  Thus it will usually have a month end
balance of 0 in your currency.

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 1:13 PM Novica Nakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I forgot to add:
> I'm using gnucash 3.4.

David Carlson