[GNC] how to share style sheets between computers in GnuCash 3.1?

[GNC] how to share style sheets between computers in GnuCash 3.1?

Mark Hedges
Hi.

I store my v3.1 books in Google Drive.  I use the Backup & Sync plugin to
share them between different computers.  The plugin syncs a desktop folder
to Google Drive.  I use it like a normal file in Windows File Explorer.
When the file changes, it uploads or downloads the new version
automatically.

I created a style sheet on one computer using Edit > Style Sheets.
However, the style sheet does not appear when I open the book on another
computer.

I see some files in $HOME/.gnucash, like a file stylesheets-2.0.  That file
appears to only have default style sheets.

I see a .gcm file in .gnucash/books named for my book that was saved
recently, but not near the time I made the style sheet.  (On that note,
this also seems to have book-specific settings in it, including account
hierarchy ordering... why wouldn't this information be saved in the book's
XML file to remain portable?)

I can't find any files in .gnucash that were saved after the time I created
the style sheet, so I guess it is not stored there anymore after v.3.0.

Where are the stylesheets?  How do I make them portable between computers?

Here's my vote to make style sheets part of a book XML file so they go with
the book.

It would also be nice if book-specific style sheets could be exportable to
their own file to import them under a different book.

Also, the Help button under Edit > Style Sheets doesn't do anything.

Thanks.
Mark

--
Mark Hedges
CEO Weird Vibe Inc.

Re: [GNC] how to share style sheets between computers in GnuCash 3.1?

Geert Janssens-4
Op woensdag 4 juli 2018 22:11:17 CEST schreef Mark Hedges:

> Hi.
>
> I store my v3.1 books in Google Drive.  I use the Backup & Sync plugin to
> share them between different computers.  The plugin syncs a desktop folder
> to Google Drive.  I use it like a normal file in Windows File Explorer.
> When the file changes, it uploads or downloads the new version
> automatically.
>
> I created a style sheet on one computer using Edit > Style Sheets.
> However, the style sheet does not appear when I open the book on another
> computer.
>
> I see some files in $HOME/.gnucash, like a file stylesheets-2.0.  That file
> appears to only have default style sheets.
>
> I see a .gcm file in .gnucash/books named for my book that was saved
> recently, but not near the time I made the style sheet.  (On that note,
> this also seems to have book-specific settings in it, including account
> hierarchy ordering... why wouldn't this information be saved in the book's
> XML file to remain portable?)
>
> I can't find any files in .gnucash that were saved after the time I created
> the style sheet, so I guess it is not stored there anymore after v.3.0.
>
> Where are the stylesheets?  How do I make them portable between computers?
>
> Here's my vote to make style sheets part of a book XML file so they go with
> the book.
>
> It would also be nice if book-specific style sheets could be exportable to
> their own file to import them under a different book.

They still are although under gnucash 3.x the file you're looking for is now
stored in a new location.
You will find all the info you need on this wiki page:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations
Or more precisely:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#In_GNC_DATA_HOME

Op donderdag 5 juli 2018 19:31:29 CEST schreef Mark Hedges:
> Thanks Geert!

You're welcome.

> BTW I get a lot of DKIM rejection reports from recipient servers when I
> send mail to the list.  Is that because the list server strips the
> anti-spam headers from my message before it forwards it out?  Maybe there
> is a patch for that.

I don't know. This is something our mailing list adminstrator may know more
about... Forwarding back to the list...

> Mark

[GNC] GNC List and DKIM (was Re: how to share style sheets between computers in GnuCash 3.1?)

Derek Atkins
Hi Mark,

Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> writes:

>> BTW I get a lot of DKIM rejection reports from recipient servers when I
>> send mail to the list.  Is that because the list server strips the
>> anti-spam headers from my message before it forwards it out?  Maybe there
>> is a patch for that.
>>
> I don't know. This is something our mailing list adminstrator may know more
> about... Forwarding back to the list...

Could you forward me one (or more) of these rejection notices?  Then I
can take a look at the logs or at least try to come up with an idea of
what's going on.

The mailing list is set up to munge email addresses with DMARC, but if
you don't have DMARC set up then I'm not sure why you'd even get DKIM
backflow -- unless you're signalling in DKIM, somehow, to block the
messages.  But I'm not sure how you would signal that purely in DKIM.

For what it's worth, I have DKIM set up on my address (not this one) and
when I send to the gnucash lists I do not receive any blowback.

If you look at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/557493 you'll see
that DKIM headers should not be stripped out.  On the other hand,
currently, the list server is NOT set up to (re-)sign outgoing
messages.  This is certainly something on the To Do list to fix, but
requires lots of moving parts to get set up.

>> Mark

Re: [GNC] GNC List and DKIM (was Re: how to share style sheets between computers in GnuCash 3.1?)

Robert Heller
At Fri, 06 Jul 2018 09:47:52 -0400 Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> >> BTW I get a lot of DKIM rejection reports from recipient servers when I
> >> send mail to the list.  Is that because the list server strips the
> >> anti-spam headers from my message before it forwards it out?  Maybe there
> >> is a patch for that.
> >>
> > I don't know. This is something our mailing list adminstrator may know more
> > about... Forwarding back to the list...
>
> Could you forward me one (or more) of these rejection notices?  Then I
> can take a look at the logs or at least try to come up with an idea of
> what's going on.
>
> The mailing list is set up to munge email addresses with DMARC, but if
> you don't have DMARC set up then I'm not sure why you'd even get DKIM
> backflow -- unless you're signalling in DKIM, somehow, to block the
> messages.  But I'm not sure how you would signal that purely in DKIM.
>
> For what it's worth, I have DKIM set up on my address (not this one) and
> when I send to the gnucash lists I do not receive any blowback.
>
> If you look at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/557493 you'll see
> that DKIM headers should not be stripped out.  On the other hand,
> currently, the list server is NOT set up to (re-)sign outgoing
> messages.  This is certainly something on the To Do list to fix, but
> requires lots of moving parts to get set up.

*Some* of the E-Mail providers out there are getting picky WRT DMARC/DKIM.  It
seems like getting DMARC/DKIM *fully* set up on the outbound SMTP server used
by Gnucash's Mailman list might be getting more urgent on the To Do list...

> >> Mark

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Robert Heller <[hidden email]> writes:

> *Some* of the E-Mail providers out there are getting picky WRT DMARC/DKIM.  It
> seems like getting DMARC/DKIM *fully* set up on the outbound SMTP server used
> by Gnucash's Mailman list might be getting more urgent on the To Do list...

Yeah, it's on my todo list.