[GNC] how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

[GNC] how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

GnuCash - User mailing list
I'd like to copy and paste the data from the "Customers Overview" table
into a spreadsheet.  Any ideas how?
--
"You are what you eat.  Be your Landscape!"
<http://eeLandscaping.blogspot.com>
J <http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513>onathan
Brian Francoeur
<http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513>
Landscape design, consultations, creation and care
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lyjTLI4QVd_z-P6EPfxRqC22f6omfYt_YeJmeoJALIQ/edit?hl=en_US>
Certified Horticultural Landscaper
<http://www.hcp.bc.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=60>,
Permaculture designer
<http://www.permaculture.org/nm/index.php/site/permaculture_design_course/>,
Sustainable gardener
<http://www.linnaeafarm.org/farm/show2s/Garden_Programme> and Organic
Master Gardener
<http://www.gaiacollege.ca/organic-master-gardener-course.html>.
[hidden email]  tel:  (250) 642-0267
eeLandscaping.blogspot.com <http://eelandscaping.blogspot.com>
6411 Sooke Rd., Sooke, B.C., Canada, V9Z-0A8
<https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Everything+Edible+Landscaping,+6411+Sooke+Rd.,+Sooke,+BC+V9Z+0A8/@48.3819275,-123.708261,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x548f056f06cbad49:0xddc41f6f5e57feb>

Re: [GNC] how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

GnuCash - User mailing list
Perhaps you could use the print function to produce a *.PDF of it, then
view it in a PDF viewer, and copy the table (use mouse cursor to select
text) from the PDF viewer?

I've had limited success with copying tables from PDF documents (win 7,
Adobe Reader to Word 2010 is typical) and pasting into other documents, but
it could work. Perhaps you could even paste it into a spreadsheet app?

Kind regards, Greg Feneis
(Pixel 3)

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019, 10:19 Jonathan Francoeur via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to copy and paste the data from the "Customers Overview" table
> into a spreadsheet.  Any ideas how?
> --
> "You are what you eat.  Be your Landscape!"
> <http://eeLandscaping.blogspot.com>
> J <http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513
> >onathan
> Brian Francoeur
> <http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513>
> Landscape design, consultations, creation and care
> <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lyjTLI4QVd_z-P6EPfxRqC22f6omfYt_YeJmeoJALIQ/edit?hl=en_US
> >
> Certified Horticultural Landscaper
> <
> http://www.hcp.bc.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=60
> >,
> Permaculture designer
> <http://www.permaculture.org/nm/index.php/site/permaculture_design_course/
> >,
> Sustainable gardener
> <http://www.linnaeafarm.org/farm/show2s/Garden_Programme> and Organic
> Master Gardener
> <http://www.gaiacollege.ca/organic-master-gardener-course.html>.
> [hidden email]  tel:  (250) 642-0267
> eeLandscaping.blogspot.com <http://eelandscaping.blogspot.com>
> 6411 Sooke Rd., Sooke, B.C., Canada, V9Z-0A8
> <
> https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Everything+Edible+Landscaping,+6411+Sooke+Rd
> .,+Sooke,+BC+V9Z+0A8/@48.3819275,-123.708261,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x548f056f06cbad49:0xddc41f6f5e57feb>

Re: [GNC] how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

Adrien Monteleone-2
The print function is disabled on that tab.

Even with it available, at best you’re going to get an ‘image’ pdf that still has to be OCRd and that is notoriously difficult with images of tables. (though there is some software out there that tries valiantly, it is still a trial and error process)

Another option is a screenshot, but still has the OCR problem.

Otherwise, parsing the data file is probably the best bet until an export function is written.

> On Jul 8, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Greg Feneis via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Perhaps you could use the print function to produce a *.PDF of it, then
> view it in a PDF viewer, and copy the table (use mouse cursor to select
> text) from the PDF viewer?
>
> I've had limited success with copying tables from PDF documents (win 7,
> Adobe Reader to Word 2010 is typical) and pasting into other documents, but
> it could work. Perhaps you could even paste it into a spreadsheet app?
>
> Kind regards, Greg Feneis
> (Pixel 3)
>

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019, 10:19 Jonathan Francoeur via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to copy and paste the data from the "Customers Overview" table
>> into a spreadsheet.  Any ideas how?

[GNC] Fwd: how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

Greg Feneis
Seems like the following was meant for the OP.

Kind regards, Greg Feneis
(Pixel 3)

Have you tried highlighting the report contents and pasting into a
spreadsheet? In Windows, I can run the Customer Summary report, press
CTRL-A, CTRL-C , open a spreadsheet, and press CTRL-V. The results are
reasonably sane. I haven't tried on a Mac recently, but ISTR that it worked
in a similar fashion there.

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to copy and paste the data from the "Customers Overview"
> table into a spreadsheet.  Any ideas how?
> --
> "You are what you eat.  Be your Landscape!"
> <http://eeLandscaping.blogspot.com>
> J <http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513
> >onathan
> Brian Francoeur
> <http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513>
> Landscape design, consultations, creation and care <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lyjTLI4QVd_z-P6EPfxRqC22f6omfYt_Ye
> JmeoJALIQ/edit?hl=en_US
> >
> Certified Horticultural Landscaper
> <
> http://www.hcp.bc.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&I
> temid=60
> >,
> Permaculture designer
> <http://www.permaculture.org/nm/index.php/site/permaculture_design_cou
> rse/
> >,
> Sustainable gardener
> <http://www.linnaeafarm.org/farm/show2s/Garden_Programme> and Organic
> Master Gardener
> <http://www.gaiacollege.ca/organic-master-gardener-course.html>.
> [hidden email]  tel:  (250) 642-0267 eeLandscaping.blogspot.com
> <http://eelandscaping.blogspot.com>
> 6411 Sooke Rd., Sooke, B.C., Canada, V9Z-0A8 <
> https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Everything+Edible+Landscaping,+6411+S
> ooke+Rd
> .,+Sooke,+BC+V9Z+0A8/@48.3819275,-123.708261,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x548
> f056f06cbad49:0xddc41f6f5e57feb>

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

Adrien Monteleone-2
David,

The OP was asking about the Customer Overview, not Customer Summary Report.

The Customer Summary Report doesn’t show the same info as the Customer Overview. Notably, customer ID, address, and phone#. The overview is essentially a table of *some* of the data for each customer like what might be found if there were a way to export customers. (the same problem exists for vendors)

GnuCash can import this data, but can’t export it.

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to copy and paste the data from the "Customers Overview"
> table into a spreadsheet.  Any ideas how?
> --
> "You are what you eat.  Be your Landscape!"
> <http://eeLandscaping.blogspot.com>
> J <http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513
> >onathan
> Brian Francoeur
> <http://www.facebook.com/people/Jonathan-Brian-Francoeur/580595513>
> Landscape design, consultations, creation and care <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lyjTLI4QVd_z-P6EPfxRqC22f6omfYt_Ye
> JmeoJALIQ/edit?hl=en_US
> >
> Certified Horticultural Landscaper
> <
> http://www.hcp.bc.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&I
> temid=60
> >,
> Permaculture designer
> <http://www.permaculture.org/nm/index.php/site/permaculture_design_cou
> rse/
> >,
> Sustainable gardener
> <http://www.linnaeafarm.org/farm/show2s/Garden_Programme> and Organic
> Master Gardener
> <http://www.gaiacollege.ca/organic-master-gardener-course.html>.
> [hidden email]  tel:  (250) 642-0267 eeLandscaping.blogspot.com
> <http://eelandscaping.blogspot.com>
> 6411 Sooke Rd., Sooke, B.C., Canada, V9Z-0A8 <
> https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Everything+Edible+Landscaping,+6411+S
> ooke+Rd
> .,+Sooke,+BC+V9Z+0A8/@48.3819275,-123.708261,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x548
> f056f06cbad49:0xddc41f6f5e57feb>

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

Oh. Sorry for the noise. I clearly misunderstood.

David

On July 9, 2019, at 1:17 AM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

David,

The OP was asking about the Customer Overview, not Customer Summary Report.

The Customer Summary Report doesn’t show the same info as the Customer Overview. Notably, customer ID, address, and phone#. The overview is essentially a table of *some* of the data for each customer like what might be found if there were a way to export customers. (the same problem exists for vendors)

GnuCash can import this data, but can’t export it.

> From: <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, Jul 8, 2019, 11:07
>

> Have you tried highlighting the report contents and pasting into a
> spreadsheet? In Windows, I can run the Customer Summary report, press
> CTRL-A, CTRL-C , open a spreadsheet, and press CTRL-V. The results are
> reasonably sane. I haven't tried on a Mac recently, but ISTR that it worked
> in a similar fashion there.

Re: [GNC] how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

Op maandag 8 juli 2019 19:15:43 CEST schreef Jonathan Francoeur via gnucash-
user:
> I'd like to copy and paste the data from the "Customers Overview" table
> into a spreadsheet.  Any ideas how?

Sure:
* Select the table by dragging your mouse cursor over it (I only selected the
table)
* Hit ctrl-C (or cmd-C on Macos)
* Open your spreadsheet and paste. At this point you may have to enter a few
conversion parameters such as language, or number format.

I have just tested this with libreoffice on Fedora 29. Works like a charm
though your mileage may vary with other spreadsheets.

Op maandag 8 juli 2019 21:46:23 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> David,
>
> The OP was asking about the Customer Overview, not Customer Summary Report.
>
> The Customer Summary Report doesn’t show the same info as the Customer
> Overview. Notably, customer ID, address, and phone#. The overview is
> essentially a table of *some* of the data for each customer like what might
> be found if there were a way to export customers. (the same problem exists
> for vendors)

Hmm, I made the same mixup. Please ignore my reply (still catching up on a
backlog of several weeks...).

> GnuCash can import this data, but can’t export it.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > From: <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Mon, Jul 8, 2019, 11:07
> >

> > Have you tried highlighting the report contents and pasting into a
> > spreadsheet? In Windows, I can run the Customer Summary report, press
> > CTRL-A, CTRL-C , open a spreadsheet, and press CTRL-V. The results are
> > reasonably sane. I haven't tried on a Mac recently, but ISTR that it
> > worked
> > in a similar fashion there.

> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Re: [GNC] Fwd: how to copy "Customers Overview" table for spreadsheet.

DavidWhiting
I'm a few pages into a book about xslt so I thought I'd give this a go. I'm
sure it's not the best xslt and anyone who knows how to use xslt properly
will probably feel unwell after looking at this, but it does seem to work,
i.e. produce a summary html table with the customers overview info (and a
few extra fields for extra points).

To use it gunzip your gnucash file or save it in uncompressed format (Edit
-> Preferences -> General) then you can run it using xsltproc like this
(assuming the name of your file is accounts.gnucash):

xsltproc customers.xslt accounts.gnucash > customers.html

(there's a version for windows called xsltproc.exe if you are using windows
and there are other ways of running xslt stylesheets)

Then you can view customers.html and copy and paste the info into a
spreadsheet or whatever.

David

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 at 17:52, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Op maandag 8 juli 2019 21:46:23 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> > David,
> >
> > The OP was asking about the Customer Overview, not Customer Summary
> Report.
> >
> > The Customer Summary Report doesn’t show the same info as the Customer
> > Overview. Notably, customer ID, address, and phone#. The overview is
> > essentially a table of *some* of the data for each customer like what
> might
> > be found if there were a way to export customers. (the same problem
> exists
> > for vendors)
> >
> Hmm, I made the same mixup. Please ignore my reply (still catching up on a
> backlog of several weeks...).
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
> > GnuCash can import this data, but can’t export it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >
> > > From: <[hidden email]>
> > > Date: Mon, Jul 8, 2019, 11:07
> > >

> > > Have you tried highlighting the report contents and pasting into a
> > > spreadsheet? In Windows, I can run the Customer Summary report, press
> > > CTRL-A, CTRL-C , open a spreadsheet, and press CTRL-V. The results are
> > > reasonably sane. I haven't tried on a Mac recently, but ISTR that it
> > > worked
> > > in a similar fashion there.

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

David Whiting