[GNC] how do I choose no file to open when opening gnucash?

[GNC] how do I choose no file to open when opening gnucash?

dthayer
I use gnucash for several businesses, using OS X.
gnucash always opens most recently used data file.
I gather there is a "no file" option from other posts.
how do I set up that preference? so I can choose which data file to open?

Re: [GNC] how do I choose no file to open when opening gnucash?

Maf. King
On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 13:47:04 GMT D via gnucash-user wrote:
> Invoke Gnucash from a terminal window with the --nofile option.

Does --nofile work on a Mac?  I thought there was no way to stop the last-used
file opening on OSX?

Maf.

Re: [GNC] how do I choose no file to open when opening gnucash?

GnuCash - User mailing list
> On Feb 13, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 13:47:04 GMT D via gnucash-user wrote:
>> Invoke Gnucash from a terminal window with the --nofile option.
>>

> Does --nofile work on a Mac?  I thought there was no way to stop the last-used
> file opening on OSX?
>
> Maf.

It does when the Terminal app is used to launch gnucash:

/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash —nofile

(assumes gnucash is installed in the usual Applications folder)

--
Dave Reiser

Re: [GNC] how do I choose no file to open when opening gnucash?

GnuCash - User mailing list

> On Feb 13, 2019, at 9:27 AM, David Reiser via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 13, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 13:47:04 GMT D via gnucash-user wrote:
>>> Invoke Gnucash from a terminal window with the --nofile option.
>>>

>> Does --nofile work on a Mac?  I thought there was no way to stop the last-used
>> file opening on OSX?
>>
>> Maf.
>>
> It does when the Terminal app is used to launch gnucash:
>
> /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash —nofile
>
> (assumes gnucash is installed in the usual Applications folder)
>

> --
> Dave Reiser
> [hidden email]

gah! Mail turned my double hyphen into an em-dash. should be --nofile

Re: [GNC] how do I choose no file to open when opening gnucash?

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 13, 2019, at 6:30 AM, David Reiser via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 13, 2019, at 9:27 AM, David Reiser via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Does --nofile work on a Mac?  I thought there was no way to stop the last-used
>>> file opening on OSX?
>>>
>>> Maf.
>>>
>> It does when the Terminal app is used to launch gnucash:
>>
>> /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash —nofile
>>
>> (assumes gnucash is installed in the usual Applications folder)
>>

>> --
>> Dave Reiser
>> [hidden email]
>>
> gah! Mail turned my double hyphen into an em-dash. should be --nofile

One can also append a path to a file, e.g.
 /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash /Users/john/Accounts/yoyodyne.gnucash

Unfortunately it will require major changes to the way GnuCash starts up in order to respond to the OpenFile notification from MacOS.